PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal hawken caplock

fishingjob
05-17-2017, 02:52 AM
I recently acquired a Hawken caplock and discovered the screw that keeps the hammer on is broken off. Does anyone know what size and thread that screw is? I have the screw headed this way just need specs on threads so I can chase the threads after I remove the screw.

Thanks
fishingjob

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread to the muzzleloading section.
While I am not an expert, I suspect that the screw size and thread pitch varies from different manufacturers. If you include that info, I bet you might get an answer.
Good luck.

bedbugbilly
05-17-2017, 12:17 PM
There is not a "uniform" size for the hammer screw - depends on maker or brand of lock. Is your rifle a "production" rifle or a "custom" rifle? If is marked - list the maker/model and someone on here will probably be able to answer your inquiry based on their rifle. If it is custom - try to determine the lock maker - i.e. Davis, Chambers, etc.

How are you going to remove the broken screw? Over the years, on original rifles, I have replaced broken hammer screws but it required carefully drilling the broken screw shank out of the tumbler and sometimes re-tapping the hole. If your rifle is a "production rifle" - i.e. a TC, CVA, Traditions, etc. - it might be a lot easier to just buy a replacement tumbler and hammer screw.

Good luck to you! :-)

Standing Bear
05-17-2017, 12:20 PM
You have the screw on the way. Wait till the screw comes then see what that thread is.

fishingjob
05-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Sorry for the delay just found my post. It is a TC rifle. The screw is 6-40x .22. I have removed dutchman's like this in the past do not think it will be a problem unless it has locktite on it. Does anyone have a exploded view of the TC Hawken that might be handy also?

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Numerich arms. Scematics for lots of firearms. Also available parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/ThompsonCenter-33531.htm