PDA

View Full Version : Lee 457-405-FN

ArkyJack
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Thinking about getting this mold for my Marlin .45-70GG with a .458 bore. What will it cast diameter wise with ACWW, anyone know?

Thanks,
ArkyJack

A careless bullet can not be recalled!

Scrounger
07-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I think that you will learn that no two molds, even of the same brand, will drop the same diameter when used by different people with different pots of wheel weights. That's why we have sizer dies to create some kind of uniformity with the bullets, and why we have invented processes like "Beagling Molds" and "Lapping Mold Cavities" to enlarge the dropped bullets. The only way you're going to have accurate information on the dropped bullet diameter is to cast it and measure it yourself. The good news is that if it's a little oversize, that generally does not cause a problem.

Junior1942
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
In pure lead, mine cast .451" on the nose and .458" on the bands.

Beaverhunter2
07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I got lucky. Mine casts .459 on the bands and shoots 1" groups at 50 yds though my 1895M. That's with WW plus a little tin, air-cooled, and LLA (double dipped in full-strength). I run them through a .460 sizer but it basically only wipes off the extra lube.

Never leaves a speck of lead but I'm only pushing them to about 1100fps. I'm slowly work that load up a bit at a time to see where accuracy drops off or leading starts. This is my plinking load although I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with it.

Good luck!

John