PDA

View Full Version : Best medicine to worm my dog?

wch
05-12-2017, 07:32 PM
My retriever has been exhibiting the classic actions of a dog with an anal itch; I assume this means that he should be wormed.
Any advice is appreciated.

starnbar
05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
It may not be worms dogs also have a gland that sometimes gets inflamed.

quack1
05-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Might not be worms, could be his anal glands bothering him.

wch
05-12-2017, 07:59 PM
I'll take him to a vet ASAP.
Thanks.

quack1
05-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Ha, to paraphrase, "a minute late and a dollar short"

osteodoc08
05-12-2017, 09:18 PM
I've always used Happy Jack

JBinMN
05-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Well, Ya can always get some gloves & help the poor feller out ya'know.
;)

It has been done before & if ya take him to the vet ya get to pay someone else the $$ to do it for ya.

Up to you!
G'luck!
:)

P.S. - Worms have been taken care of before by giving the dog a little bit of tobacco in their food for about a week. The tobacco makes them pass the worms as the worms can't handle the stuff(nicotine) in the gut.
;)

54bore
05-12-2017, 09:57 PM
It may not be worms dogs also have a gland that sometimes gets inflamed.

Yep!! Dragging their rear end, chewing at, etc. is probably one of the most MISUNDERSTOOD things with a dog, I would bet 90 or more percent of dogs exhibiting this condition do NOT have worms, They have swollen anal glands that are not emptying correctly. Yep, its GROSS and smells odd (fishy kinda?) Read up on it

lefty o
05-12-2017, 10:52 PM
get em to swallow the weighted end of a 12g bore snake, when ya see the weight come out, give it a tug. just kidding.

jonp
05-14-2017, 06:51 AM
My retriever has been exhibiting the classic actions of a dog with an anal itch; I assume this means that he should be wormed.
Any advice is appreciated.

Not necessarily. Our dog kept doing the same thing but when we took her to the vet she had nothing wrong with her. A trip to the vet first before de-worming would be in order. It might be nothing more than anal glands stopped up. If so, have the vet show you how to squeeze them yourself.

Lloyd Smale
05-14-2017, 07:02 AM
pyrantel pamoate . You can buy it on ebay or amazon. Same stuff the vet will use.

osteodoc08
05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
pyrantel pamoate . You can buy it on ebay or amazon. Same stuff the vet will use.

And for kids that get pinworms!

This is the ingredient in the Happy Jack I recommended above.

Let us know the outcome.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-14-2017, 09:47 PM
I use a product called Safeguard (fenbendazole) (Amazon, Walmart) as it gets tapeworms. If your dog catches rabbits, gophers and other critters, they can get tapeworms from eating such critters. Tapeworms do make them fuss at their butt. If you are REALLY LUCKY you might see a tapeworm crawl out of the dogs butt. Anal pores can be a problem for the 'hefty' dogs or those that don't get to run fast and free. Some breeds seem more inclined to anal pore problems than others, like my Chessies. Like jonp said, have your vet show you what to do for the anal pores

Geezer in NH
05-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Not necessarily. Our dog kept doing the same thing but when we took her to the vet she had nothing wrong with her. A trip to the vet first before de-worming would be in order. It might be nothing more than anal glands stopped up. If so, have the vet show you how to squeeze them yourself.

Uh I pay the vet YUK