PDA

View Full Version : Throating a throatless lever action chamber?

Canuck Bob
05-12-2017, 12:04 AM
I'm hoping for some real world evaluation of putting a gentler throat in throatless chambers. My question is specific to a Win 94 32 Special and a Winoku 92 32-20, both primary cast shooters. They have the long chamber neck clearance and the curb like chamber step with no throat. I'm asking about a normal throat with some cylindrical freebore and a degree or two of leade.

Also, has anyone ever cut a gentle leade ramp without the freebore? I seem to recall someone discussing this but no luck tracking it down.

DougGuy
05-12-2017, 12:20 AM
You will see a much noticed improvement in lengthening out the throat into a tapered freebore with a 1 or 1 and a half degree leade in. You may have to do a pound cast and have a reamer custom ground if there isn't one already made in the dimensions you need, and you will need a live pilot nose so that a pilot bushing can be very snugly fit to the lands.

I do longer tapered freebore in auto pistols and they shoot lights out because of it so I know it will work.

rintinglen
05-14-2017, 06:21 PM
I had a commemorative 94 that had no lead worth mentioning. I bought a 30 caliber throating reamer (Pt. No. 513-053-300WB ) from Brownell's and that did the trick.