PDA

View Full Version : You've gotta love his work

gundownunder
05-11-2017, 07:21 AM
On 22nd Apr I sent a drawing for a new mold design to Tom at Accurate molds.
On the 24th of Apr he sent me an email to say that 31-120-D was now in the catalog.
Awesome. I placed an order for it on 27 Apr and the order form showed approximately 4 weeks delivery time. USPS sent me a shipping number on the 2nd May and the package arrived in Western Australia on 11th May.
I guess tomorrow I will have to spend some time in the shed, casting my new bullets.
My plan was to design a bullet that would give maximum weight in a 32-20 without intruding into the powder space. Once I get some cast up I will find out if I got what I wanted.
Here's the link, if anyone wants to have a look,
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-120D-D.png

DHDeal
05-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Oh I do love his work. I sent a request for a modification to an existing design, and a day later he sent me the number or the mold where it had already been added to his catalog. Total time from initial request to delivery of the mold was about 3 weeks (give or take a day).

After buying 5 of his aluminum molds, I've found all they need is a good ultrasonic cleaning, then on to the hot plate, then pour lead. I might need to throw back the first 2-3 casts, but when it's all up to temperature, the molds will rain bullets.

John Boy
05-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Yes, totally agree that the the quality & service from Accurate is superlative. If Tom would only upgrade his CNC software to be able to produce round nose bullets instead of the metplat has to be .18" and:

Maximum bullet length is 1.375"
No round nose, and no spitzer. My tooling requires a .18" minimum diameter flat nose (meplat).
No groove or boat-tail or heel which is more than .06" smaller diameter than the bands above it. Example: .460" bullet, lube or boat-tail diameter cannot be less than .400".
Minimum groove diameter of .255", so 30 caliber is about as small as I can do. 7mm will have shallow grooves and no gas check.
No square grooves, or square shoulders. I require a minimum 55 degree (from the bullet's axis) bevel.