PDA

View Full Version : This Restores my Faith in People

WRideout
05-09-2017, 10:46 PM
My wife and I were baby sitting our granddaughter when my stepson came home from work. He had told me about his neighbor who was getting out of the reloading business. He had already spoken to the neighbor, and got a list of what equipment was available, so I thought I would go and take a look at it. The neighbor, Dennis, was a man in his sixties, like me, and also an army vet. When I told him I only really wanted the powder and primers, he took me to his shed in the back to see what he had. He pulled out ten opened one-pound cans of powder from Bullseye to H4895 including a jug of Pyrodex. When I asked him what he wanted for it, he said "Just take it." The stuff was all good; no rusted lids or acid smell. I couldn't offer him anything, and he just wanted to be rid of it. It makes me believe that people can sometimes be nice for no good reason. Dennis had been a combat engineer in Viet Nam, and the only thing he would say about it was, "It was an experience I'll never forget."

Wayne

trails4u
05-09-2017, 10:53 PM
I hope we'll still have men like that in current and future generations.....

BUCKEYE BANDIT
05-10-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm the very PROUD father and Grandfather of those type of men.
I hope we'll still have men like that in current and future generations.....

lightman
05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm the very PROUD father and Grandfather of those type of men.

Well said! I hope that I am too!

Blackwater
05-10-2017, 05:08 PM
I think we all listen to too much mass media these days, and form our opinions on "humanity" from all that. This is wrong, though, because there is a whole ABUNDANCE of good things happening all around us. It's just not "news" these days. My wife manages a Christian thrift store, and the things she gets there! It's amazing how they've grown. They've just opened a 2nd location because the one she runs is so overflowing! And it doesn't matter what color your skin is, eihter! Most don't realize how much real charity goes on in the black communities. They are FAR from all being "gangsta rappers" and gang members and all the stuff we see in the mass media these days! And it's long been said that if you ever find yourself down and out, and need some food, shelter or clothing, don't go to the upscale side of town, but go across the tracks to the "seedy" side of town. Those folks don't have nearly as much, but you won't go far before you find someone who'll feed, clothe or otherwise help see to your needs.

People are people, wherever and however you find them, and there is MUCH about our modern "stereotypes" that is simply untrue! And it's really easy to lose sight of that, and go along with the stereotypes. But to the extent that we DO adopt those views, we err, and we err egregiously. Thanks for a great post, and a wonderful reminder of what people are REALLY like sometimes.

MaryB
05-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Having always lived at the lower end of the wage scale(a job that left me plenty of time to hunt and fish was more important than money!) I agree. My poor friends would put a meal on the table to feed how ever many showed up and they tended to "adopt" all the poor loners in the area for holiday meals. We all contributed whatever we could and ate well. I have always had space at my table to feed someone who needed a meal or an ear to listen to their troubles as they ate. Food is medicine!

shoot-n-lead
05-11-2017, 01:31 AM
There are plenty of folks that do stuff like this.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
05-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Thanks everyone,It sure would be nice if the anti-gunner's would take the time to visit sites like this.

I know that will NEVER happen,in their world we're all evil. In my opinion Mary B is a better example of who we really are.
Many here have seen combat and are not eager to see it again !! .
Having always lived at the lower end of the wage scale(a job that left me plenty of time to hunt and fish was more important than money!) I agree. My poor friends would put a meal on the table to feed how ever many showed up and they tended to "adopt" all the poor loners in the area for holiday meals. We all contributed whatever we could and ate well. I have always had space at my table to feed someone who needed a meal or an ear to listen to their troubles as they ate. Food is medicine!