PDA

View Full Version : Load Data From Speer Manual #14 for .45 LC!

jleneave
07-17-2008, 01:14 AM
I have not bought the new Speer reloading manual yet and I was wondering if someone that has it could look up some load data for me.....please! I need the load data for .45 Long Colt, 250 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point, using Hodgdon H110 powder and what primer they recommend for this load data and velocities. These bullets will be fired from a Ruger New Model Blackhawk only. This bullet is not in my Speer manual #13. Thanks in advanced.

Jody

docone31
07-17-2008, 09:24 AM
If you contact them, they can provide the data.
I usually either use the next heavier data, or a compareable bullet load.

jleneave
07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I found some load data on the Hodgdon website for a Hornady 250gr XTP HP that called for a start load of 25.7gr and a max load of 26.5gr of H110 for a velocity of 1308 and 1455, repectively. I just thought this sounded a little too hot and wanted to check another reliable source. Also the Hodgdon website does not list a primer. I do want a load that is close to max for Hunting deer and for a defense load but I have not been able to find any other info on these loads. I tired to look on the Speer website but it says that there are no updates and all current load data is in the new #14 manual. Thanks.

Jody

hicard
07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
H110 CCI 300 Primer Colt Ruger & Contender Only From New Speer Manual

19.0=1091 Starting
21.0=1200 Max

jleneave
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
H110 CCI 300 Primer Colt Ruger & Contender Only From New Speer Manual

19.0=1091 Starting
21.0=1200 Max

Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to look that up for me. Maybe I can return the favor one day.

Jody

Slogg76
07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
According to Speer data that I have:
250 grain Gold Dot HP
Test firearm: Ruger Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel
Case: Starline Primer: CCI 300/350 (magnum 350 primer for H110 loads)
start load for H110: 19.0 grains for 1091 fps
Max load for H110: 21.0 grains for 1200 fps
According to Speer their 250 grain Gold Dot is very soft and designed to expand at standard 45 Colt velocities. Their +P "Ruger/Contender Only" loads are kept at 25,000 PSI and lower. I like the Speer Gold Dots, but after firing them into wet news print I would have to agree they open up pretty fast. I stuck with a max load using Unique at around 1,050 fps. With top H110 loads the bullets were coming apart. I also got better accuracy with the Unique load.
Hodgdon's maximum "Ruger" loads for the 250 grain XTP appear to be closer to 30,000 PSI (29,800 CUP according to Hodgdon). There are plenty of arguements floating around as to what is prudent for max pressures in 45 Colt chambered Rugers. I've used Hodgdon's maiximum data in several large framed Rugers and never had any issues.

jleneave
07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
According to Speer data that I have:
250 grain Gold Dot HP
Test firearm: Ruger Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel
Case: Starline Primer: CCI 300/350 (magnum 350 primer for H110 loads)
start load for H110: 19.0 grains for 1091 fps
Max load for H110: 21.0 grains for 1200 fps
According to Speer their 250 grain Gold Dot is very soft and designed to expand at standard 45 Colt velocities. Their +P "Ruger/Contender Only" loads are kept at 25,000 PSI and lower. I like the Speer Gold Dots, but after firing them into wet news print I would have to agree they open up pretty fast. I stuck with a max load using Unique at around 1,050 fps. With top H110 loads the bullets were coming apart. I also got better accuracy with the Unique load.
Hodgdon's maximum "Ruger" loads for the 250 grain XTP appear to be closer to 30,000 PSI (29,800 CUP according to Hodgdon). There are plenty of arguements floating around as to what is prudent for max pressures in 45 Colt chambered Rugers. I've used Hodgdon's maiximum data in several large framed Rugers and never had any issues.

Thank you for your input on this subject. The data that you have from the Hodgdon website for the 250gr XTP is the load data that I was trying to get a conformation on. It seemed kind of high to me and I wanted to get another source for that data to back it up. I have no doubt that the Speer GDHP would open up at a lot lower velocity, the HP cavity on that bullet is huge!! I also appreciate the information on your test results with the Gold Dot HP. I like Unique powder and use it quite a bit with .44Mag, .45ACP, and .38Special. I just thought that since I have a couple pounds of H110 that I need to use I would try it out, plus every now and then I like to see the huge fireballs that H110 put out. I am thinking now, after reading your post about the bullets coming apart, that I will back off the load data from the Hodgdon website a little bit and go with 21.0 grains or maybe even 22.0 grains of H110 to be safe. That is still a good stout load and I won’t be putting any undue stress on my revolver (New Model Blackhawk convertible with 5.5” barrel). I also figure that with the 5.5” barrel that I will lose somewhere between 100 to 200 fps in velocity, does that sound about right to you? I don’t have a chronograph, but it is on my wish list. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my questions and for sharing your experience with me. Take care.

Jody

Slogg76
07-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Your very welcome. I chronied loads out of my 7.5" barreled Bisley and New Model Blackhawks and they approximated Hodgdon's data. I used Starline cases, CCI 350 primers, and their max H110 loads. Unfortunately my Chrony was ventilated by my buddy's 500 S&W magnum before I could run my 5.5" Accusport Bisley through it. I expect a 100 fps velocity loss from the 5.5" vs. 7.5" barrels. I'm sure someone else can chime in with some accurate velocity information. I don't know personally how the 500 S&W does on game, but it sure kills chronographs pretty dead.

jleneave
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Your very welcome. I chronied loads out of my 7.5" barreled Bisley and New Model Blackhawks and they approximated Hodgdon's data. I used Starline cases, CCI 350 primers, and their max H110 loads. Unfortunately my Chrony was ventilated by my buddy's 500 S&W magnum before I could run my 5.5" Accusport Bisley through it. I expect a 100 fps velocity loss from the 5.5" vs. 7.5" barrels. I'm sure someone else can chime in with some accurate velocity information. I don't know personally how the 500 S&W does on game, but it sure kills chronographs pretty dead.

Those are the exact components that I will be using, New Starline brass, CCI #350 primers, and of course Hodgdon H110. That makes me feel a little better. Just so I don't misunderstand you, you have in the past used the max load from the Hodgdon website for H110 (26.5 grains)with the 250gr Gold Dot HP from a Ruger Blackhawk revolver with no ill effects to the gun?? I am not saying that you recommend doing it, just that you have done it. Sorry to be so stupid about this I just want to make sure that it is safe and I don't end up hurting my revolver or myself. I really do appreciate your help and sharing your expierence with this load.

One of my best friends, hell to think about it my only friend has one of those S&W .500 magnums with the 8 3/8" barrel I think that is the length(?). Man, that thing is a monster!! I have shot it a few times and surprisingly it is a fairly accurate pistol with just the iron sights. The recoil is pretty heafty, but I love shooting it. One of these days, soon I hope, I am going to have one of them and the S&W .460!! I love large bore handguns. I don't care much for a rifle that kicks like a mule though. I do have a Barret .50BMG but it don't kick as hard as my Benelli SBE with 3 1/2" turkey loads in it.

Once again, thanks for assisting me with the .45LC/H110 load information. Take care.

Jody

Slogg76
07-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I used Hodgdon's max load data with Hornady's 250 grain XTP, not the Speer Gold Dot. Sorry about the confusion. I used Speer's max data with thier Gold Dot. I think a large framed Ruger can handle slightly more pressure than Speer lists in their data, but I would work up loads very cautiously. The Gold Dot's design is probably the biggest limiting factor is usuful velocity. Hodgdon's load data is for the Hornady XTP, not the Speer Gold Dot, so again I would be cautious loading over Speer's recomended data.

jleneave
07-20-2008, 12:00 AM
I used Hodgdon's max load data with Hornady's 250 grain XTP, not the Speer Gold Dot. Sorry about the confusion. I used Speer's max data with thier Gold Dot. I think a large framed Ruger can handle slightly more pressure than Speer lists in their data, but I would work up loads very cautiously. The Gold Dot's design is probably the biggest limiting factor is usuful velocity. Hodgdon's load data is for the Hornady XTP, not the Speer Gold Dot, so again I would be cautious loading over Speer's recomended data.

OK, thanks again for the help. Take care.