PDA

View Full Version : 10mm mold advice please

oldroger
07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I want to start casting for 10mm for my Kimber Target and S&W 1006. I have beeen looking for used moulds with no success. I like heavy, 190/200gr seems only RCBS and Saeco.
What are people using? Any recommendations?

Bluehawk
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
The only mold I have ever used for MY tens and 40s is the standard Lyman mold for rn fp 180 grain ( I think its listed as 175 grain w/#2) for the 38/40 .
My mold drops them at about 182 W/ WWs they shoot fine from my tens and 40s . I have shot cast fomr commercial makers over the years that have been heavier 190 and 200s but do not mold them my self .

Shottist
07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I have an LBT 4-cavity mould .401-200 WFN. I use this bullet in a S%W 610 revolver and also a 10MM auto pistol from EAA with very good results. Mould is expensive, but worth the cost.

Morgan Astorbilt
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
The three cast bullets I use in my Delta Elite are:
175gr. FN 401043 Lyman,
180gr.FN 40-180CM RCBS,
10mm-200gr. SWC RCBS.
Morgan

oldroger
07-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to post a wanted notice and see if someone outthere has anything they would like to sell. I really don't want to take the plunge for a new custom mold. the three that Morgan lists are all good ones I guess.
Roger.

MakeMineA10mm
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I was going to design a 185gr TC for the 10mm (mainly because I wanted a little heavier weight and I wanted it in a 6-cavity for production sake), but then I re-looked at all the available commercial moulds and found the Lee 175gr TC. Midway runs a special on them every 3-4 months, and I bought a 6-cav for $35. Can't beat it with a stick!

jleneave
07-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I want to start casting for 10mm for my Kimber Target and S&W 1006. I have beeen looking for used moulds with no success. I like heavy, 190/200gr seems only RCBS and Saeco.
What are people using? Any recommendations?

Hey OldRoger, this is a little off topic, but I love the 10mm and have a S&W 1006 that I used to carry on duty. I am seriously considering getting one of the Kimber 10mm Target Stainless model. I have 3 Kimber 1911 pistols, two .45acp, TLE/RLII and 25th Anniversary Model, and a .38 super Stainless Target II. If you would will you tell me what you think of your Kimber 10mm and how it shoots? I don’t currently cast for the 10mm, but I do reload for it. You almost have to, in my area factory rounds are hard to come by. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic but I would appreciate any info that would help make my decision easier. Thanks.

By the way, welcome to the forum!!

Jody

26Charlie
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure how these would work in a semiauto, but in the revolver 10mm cylinder I use the Lyman 180 gr. 40043 with 8.5 gr. Blue Dot for a nice GP load, and the SAECO 200 gr. FP (truncated cone) with 10.0 gr. Blue Dot for a full house load. No untoward signs of pressure with these, but again they have easy forward motion in the cylinder. I did try to keep the loads to something I wouldn't be averse to shooting in a semiauto in case I ever got one.

GabbyM
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I cast the Magma 155 gr swc.
I like the 155gr in the 40 since it can be pushed to the velocity I like.
Basically get similar velocity as a 124gr in 9mm, about 1140fps, with larger diameter and 30grains of weight.

oldroger
07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
If you would will you tell me what you think of your Kimber 10mm and how it shoots? I don’t currently cast for the 10mm, but I do reload for it. You almost have to, in my area factory rounds are hard to come by. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic but I would appreciate any info that would help make my decision easier. Thanks.

Jody:
I like the Kimber, I have a S&W 1006 which I bought new, I usually take both to the range. Last week two of my friends fired both, I asked which they liked better, both agreed on the Kimber. The 1006 seems a bit oversize next to the Kimber. The Kimber seems lighter as well.
I have the Pachmayer wrap around grip and a rubber covered arched mainspring housing which helps hang-on to it. I can shoot it all day with full house rounds. It is not a SVI, but if I had something really serious to attend to, it's my go to pistol.
I need to find molds and start casting bullets so that I feel better about shooting it.
Roger

oldroger
07-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh, I forgot to thank those of you who suggested mold numbers, I am an old conservative caster, emphasis on the old. I don't know if I am ready for any of those "new fangled" aluminum molds. But I will keep an eye on Midway.
I would appreciate it if anyone who sees a180-200 gr 10mm used mold, would give me a heads up.
Roger.

Willbird
07-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I cast a whole bunch of the Lee 6 cavity grease groove 10mm for a friend, he likes them, I have no 10mm yet :-). He shoots them mostly in a Glack.

Bill

jleneave
07-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Jody:
I like the Kimber, I have a S&W 1006 which I bought new, I usually take both to the range. Last week two of my friends fired both, I asked which they liked better, both agreed on the Kimber. The 1006 seems a bit oversize next to the Kimber. The Kimber seems lighter as well.
I have the Pachmayer wrap around grip and a rubber covered arched mainspring housing which helps hang-on to it. I can shoot it all day with full house rounds. It is not a SVI, but if I had something really serious to attend to, it's my go to pistol.
I need to find molds and start casting bullets so that I feel better about shooting it.
Roger

Roger:
Thanks for the information. I will probably go with the Kimber, everyone that I have talked to has been happy with thiers. Word of mouth is the best advertising a company can get. Thanks again.

Jody

only1asterisk
07-21-2008, 04:01 AM
oldroger,

I have some Saeco #401 ready to load that I could send to you and I'll be casting RCBS 180gr.FN 40-180CM RCBS next time. I'd have some now execept it rained all evening long.

David

Sig shooter
07-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I think they trickle out some .40 S&W 175gr TC 6 cav. lee molds out of midway , I got one two weeks ago . They run a bit small ( even with WWs ) at .400 - .4005 . As they push through the .400 star sizer die with little effort ... Its seems to work in both sigs & glocks .

David Wile
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey folks,

Does anyone know of any moulds in 10mm designed for use with a gas check? I have had a MegaStar 10mm for a good many years, but I have never seen a gas checked mould in 10mm. As a result, I have been using commercial cast bullets all this time. They are OK, but the 10mm can push a 200 grain bullet well over 1,000 FPS, and I would prefer gas checked bullets at the higher speeds. Shooting 200 grain jacketed bullets in the MegaStar at over 1,100 FPS seems like less recoil than shooting 150 grain bullets in my big S&W 9mm. The MegaStar is one big and heavy shooting machine. If your hand is big enough to hold it, you really do not have to worry about recoil. I just wish I had a gas checked mould for it.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Morgan Astorbilt
07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I use Alox lube for my hot (and I mean HOT!) 10mm loads. Of what benefit are gas checks?
Morgan

MakeMineA10mm
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to thank those of you who suggested mold numbers, I am an old conservative caster, emphasis on the old. I don't know if I am ready for any of those "new fangled" aluminum molds. But I will keep an eye on Midway.
I would appreciate it if anyone who sees a180-200 gr 10mm used mold, would give me a heads up.
Roger.

Hi Roger. I only ever used to cast with iron moulds myself. (I still haven't tried a brass one...) I tried a Lee Aluminum, because I wanted the custom design that was being cut in it. It does have it's foibles and requires a little different technique, but it's nothing I'd call difficult to learn. Can be frustrating, but even I figured it out. And that was before I knew about this place where a lot of issues I had to figure out through trial and error were already explained away...

Hey folks,

Does anyone know of any moulds in 10mm designed for use with a gas check? I have had a MegaStar 10mm for a good many years, but I have never seen a gas checked mould in 10mm. As a result, I have been using commercial cast bullets all this time. They are OK, but the 10mm can push a 200 grain bullet well over 1,000 FPS, and I would prefer gas checked bullets at the higher speeds. Shooting 200 grain jacketed bullets in the MegaStar at over 1,100 FPS seems like less recoil than shooting 150 grain bullets in my big S&W 9mm. The MegaStar is one big and heavy shooting machine. If your hand is big enough to hold it, you really do not have to worry about recoil. I just wish I had a gas checked mould for it.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Hi Dave. Gas Checks are expensive and truly unnecessary in most pistol loads. The rounds that shoot the slow-burning large loads of powder CAN benefit from GCs for THOSE loads. I shoot plain-based bullets most of the time in my 44 Magnum (and I use medium- or fast-burning powders which use less powder and have less erosive effect on the base of the boolit).

Even loading large doses of H-110, I never really saw a huge need for GCs in that cartridge. The 460 S&W is probably a good example of a cartridge that needs GCs... Also maybe the 357 Maximum and a few others like that which hold large quantities of slow-burning powders. The 10mm doesn't fit that genre.

Add about 2% tin to wheelweights and you'll have an alloy that's hard enough to drive 1400-1600 fps in general, and in the 10mm (even with a light-weight boolit), you'll get no leading from the powder gas'es erosive effects. (A rough bore, or other issues could still cause leading, but the GC won't fix that problem either...)

The short-answer to your question is that I don't know of any moulds off the top of my head that are .400-.402" with gas checks. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I don't recollect them.