PDA

View Full Version : It's Star Wars Day

Blammer
05-04-2017, 10:37 PM
May the 4th be with you!

:)

Electric88
05-04-2017, 11:06 PM
:happy dance::happy dance::happy dance::happy dance::happy dance::happy dance::happy dance:

billyb
05-04-2017, 11:29 PM
Looking forward to the fifth.

abunaitoo
05-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Which one do you like the best????
I still think the very first, original one is the best.

dragon813gt
05-05-2017, 01:09 AM
Still the 4th on the west coast. The best is all the books that were written. Disney in their infinite wisdom decided to throw them all out of the cannon. It's a shame because the stories were well written and developed all the characters from the movies plus lots and lots of new ones.

Bigslug
05-05-2017, 02:27 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how, with all the cloning tech that the Star Wars universe obviously has, that they haven't managed to purge the Male-Line, Whiny Little Beech gene from the Skywalker family tree. That little bit of emo DNA has cost the lives of BILLIONS at this point.

Best movie - still Empire, especially when seen in the context of following up the first one - where you think the MLWLB gene was just a teen phase that we being grown out of, and also in the context of not having seen Return of the Jedi, complete with bad writing and Viet Cong-inspired teddy bears.

Electric88
05-05-2017, 06:35 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how, with all the cloning tech that the Star Wars universe obviously has, that they haven't managed to purge the Male-Line, Whiny Little Beech gene from the Skywalker family tree. That little bit of emo DNA has cost the lives of BILLIONS at this point.

Best movie - still Empire, especially when seen in the context of following up the first one - where you think the MLWLB gene was just a teen phase that we being grown out of, and also in the context of not having seen Return of the Jedi, complete with bad writing and Viet Cong-inspired teddy bears.

Empire is definitely the best among them. Also, I'm stealing the line about the Viet Cong inspired teddy bears LOL

richhodg66
05-05-2017, 06:54 AM
Empire Strikes BAck is probably the best movie, but I still like the very first one the best.

BNE
05-05-2017, 07:00 AM
I actually liked Rogue 1 the best. It explained a lot of the story that led up to the first movie.

I'm slowly reading some of the books. Fun stuff.

dragon813gt
05-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Rogue 1's storyline was changed multiple times during the shoot. It was entertaining but weak in plot. It doesn't help that we knew going in that they would all die.

Hickory
05-05-2017, 07:23 AM
I've never been a Star Wars fan. I saw the first one back in the 70's and never had a desire to see any others. Never been a Sci-Fi type person.
John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Bruce Willis is more my style of movie viewing.

GrizzLeeBear
05-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Hickory......... this is not the thread your looking for. :veryconfu

Empire Strike Back is still the best of them all. When I was a kid we used to have a really nice theater in our town, had a big balcony etc. probably held 2,000 people or more. Still gives me chills remembering how the air went out of that great big room and you could here a pin drop when Darth Vadar uttered the 5 most shocking words in American cinema:

"No.....I am you're father!" :shock::-o:popcorn:

Hardcast416taylor
05-05-2017, 11:56 AM
MMMM...Wise person you are MMMM yes. Must go now and bang head on wall MMM yes!Robert

DerekP Houston
05-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Still the 4th on the west coast. The best is all the books that were written. Disney in their infinite wisdom decided to throw them all out of the cannon. It's a shame because the stories were well written and developed all the characters from the movies plus lots and lots of new ones.

huh,I recall reading those on many trips and in waiting rooms, they were a good fun way to kill an afternoon. I suppose all the video games etc are non-canon now as well. Such is 'progress' I suppose.

I like the murder-bears, #6 will always be my favorite. Also I was born after they were released in theaters so I saw #6 first then the others.

Bigslug
05-05-2017, 02:10 PM
I actually liked Rogue 1 the best. It explained a lot of the story that led up to the first movie.

I liked Rogue One in that it showed us that "only Imperial troops are so precise" with their marksmanship; they just have to be shooting at someone other than actual HEROES.

I also liked how it portrayed the Rebellion as a bunch of factionalized Palestinians who are much more "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" rather than a solidly unified group that have anything in common with each other.

Handloader109
05-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Well, I've always been a big Science Fiction fan, mainly hard science. Star Wars was ok, first couple of movies actually really good considering the time they were made. After those, the franchise went down hill into a kiddie films. I hadn't watched the last couple, had given up on them a long time ago. Watched Rogue one the other day with my daughter. She likes them, guess that's good, but it was the same pathetic stuff. Yes everyone died.. But the action was poorly done. Script non existent. You have 'armor' on and get punched or hit with something and you fall down and out? Gee whiz! How pathetic. It takes three or four shots to kill the rebels? really? An idiot uses a bow and arrow? Who's kidding who? Oh well, just me I guess.
Sorry to rain on your parade. Glad it's the Fifth today!

Electric88
05-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Well, I've always been a big Science Fiction fan, mainly hard science. Star Wars was ok, first couple of movies actually really good considering the time they were made. After those, the franchise went down hill into a kiddie films. I hadn't watched the last couple, had given up on them a long time ago. Watched Rogue one the other day with my daughter. She likes them, guess that's good, but it was the same pathetic stuff. Yes everyone died.. But the action was poorly done. Script non existent. You have 'armor' on and get punched or hit with something and you fall down and out? Gee whiz! How pathetic. It takes three or four shots to kill the rebels? really? An idiot uses a bow and arrow? Who's kidding who? Oh well, just me I guess.
Sorry to rain on your parade. Glad it's the Fifth today!

You might not enjoy the transformers movies very much then. But then again, nobody really does anyways lol

richhodg66
05-05-2017, 06:32 PM
The impression that first one made on me when I was an 11 year old boy the Summer of 1977. Had heard the hype, Dad took all of us to see it. When that star destroyer passed overhead it blew my mind. Nothing even remotely close to that had been made before, we were all used to black and white TV special effects like Star Trek and Lost in Space.

The three oldest of us went back and saw it multiple times. We'd buy a ticket and sit through multiple showings (small town south, not much else to do and real hot outside, so we liked it). I agree, haven't liked the prequels much. I haven't even seen the latest one yet.

Hardcast416taylor
05-06-2017, 05:29 AM
I actually thought `Space Balls` as a spin off comedy flic with John Candy as the character `Barf` was a funny take on the `Star Wars` flics.Robert

54bore
05-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Looking forward to the fifth.

LOL!! I can't imagine ANY adult watching star wars, totally beyond me

Handloader109
05-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Nope, not a transformer fan either, but at least those movies let you know up front they aren't serious. St tried making a believable movie, but failed since first movie

375supermag
05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Hi...

I enjoy the movies because I know them for what they are...mindless entertainment. An escape, as it were, from the harsh realities of life with its myriad problems and strife.

No different than your typical western really...just imagine the Jedi Knights as the Earps and Doc Holliday and the stormtroopers as the Clanton gang. Horses become X-wing fighters and six guns become light sabers and blasters.

They really are nothing more than westerns set in space. Don't take it any more seriously than the fictionalized westerns that Hollywood served up for decades. There really isn't any difference.

10x
05-07-2017, 02:21 PM
May the 4th be with you is always followed by the revenge of the fifth.

Sorry it it had to be said

GOPHER SLAYER
05-07-2017, 02:33 PM
I have only watched brief moments of any Star Wars movie and have no desire to watch more. I also hate Star Trek. A total waste of viewing time. I did enjoy the science fiction movies of the 1950s like the Thing. I also like the remake with Kurt Russell.

Blammer
05-07-2017, 06:25 PM
well it's been a good weekend for sure, including 'Revenge of the sixth" day. :)

the only one I really didn't care for was 'force awakens', best lame remake ever.....

Doggonekid
05-07-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm a nurd I like them all. My favorite is always the next one.

10x
05-08-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm a nurd I like them all. My favorite is always the next one. The first one was the best one. And then they sort of tapered off. Jar Jar Binks was the end of any of them being entertaining.

"He's probably going to get himself killed."
"Don't worry. He's smarter than he looks."―A clone trooper and Commander Stone (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CC-5869) on Jar Jar Binks

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/ca/SmarterThanHeLooks-TGG.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20090725223604

Commander Stone was wrong, he was not smarter than he looks