PDA

View Full Version : Alloy temp & mold temp for best fillout

high standard 40
05-04-2017, 12:35 PM
I've been a member here for quite a while and this forum has taught me volumes of valuable information. I thought I would share what I have learned, in particularly as it applies to casting alloy melt temperature and mold temperature.

First a little relevant history. 90% of all my casting is done to feed my IHMSA silhouette guns, primarily 3 different 7MMs. One common mold works for all three, that being an RCBS 7mm 145 SIL. I do need to size these differently for each of my three 7mm handguns. From the start with this mold, I had problems getting a bullet that was of sufficient diameter to fill the generous chamber on my XP100 7TCU. Erick at Hollow Point Molds fixed that issue for me but that is an issue apart from this discussion. I have focused my efforts in the last few years to make the absolute best bullets possible and have tried endless different techniques to improve my consistency. Some will say that a silhouette target is rather large and benchrest accuracy is not needed to shoot perfect scores. I agree as far as normal matches go, but if you are fortunate enough to make it to the shootoffs where targets can become very small and at distances many would believe impossible, then extreme accuracy becomes a must. With this in mind, I will share what I have learned in regards to casting temperatures as they relate to optimum mold fillout.

When I do everything just right, my RCBS 7mm 145SIL mold will give me a bullet with drive bands that measure .287" and a bore ride nose that measures .279". I'm then able to size the nose to .277" which fits all my 7mm guns. I have heard it said many times here and elsewhere that casting temperatures for best mold fillout are at a level that will produce a bullet that falls from the mold with a lightly frosted surface. Factors to consider here are the temperature of the melted alloy, the mold operating temperature, and casting cadence. But I have discovered, at least as it applies to my mold and alloy, that a lightly frosted bullet will actually be undersized and lighter in weight than a bullet with a shiny surface. As an example, with my mold, if any of the bullet nose is frosted, the .277" die will not touch the frosted areas of the nose when sizing, indicating incomplete mold fillout. I get a full .279" nose when I run my alloy at 710 degrees controlled by a PID. This gives me a bullet with a uniformly shiny surface. I also closely time my cadence to keep mold temperature as constant as possible. For the record I use only foundry certified 92-6-2 alloy.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while there are many techniques that can be considered standard and "gospel" so to speak, there are also no absolutes. What works for one person may not work for everyone. If what is considered to be "tried and true principles" don't work for you, don't be afraid to think outside the box. For me, I have found that hotter is not better, at least with this one mold.

308Jeff
05-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I've yet to cast my first bullet, but that should change shortly.

Love reading about other people's experiences.

OS OK
05-04-2017, 01:19 PM
I like posts like yours...hard numbers and specifics regarding the variables.
Where I was raised, they call this kind of info..."Getting down to brass tacks!"

Jeff...get with it boy...:bigsmyl2:

308Jeff
05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
My Lee bottom pour is on the way. I'm out of excuses!

Shiloh
05-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I cast at 725-750 degrees today. SOme of the boolits fell out, some didn't. Lyman 311291. I preheated to mold evenly with a propane torch. Best boolits came closer to 750.

SHiloh

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-04-2017, 04:35 PM
"there are also no absolutes. What works for one person may not work for everyone."

This is very true, and every mold is different and as techniques vary, so do the details...like of alloy temp.

A good starting place for alloy temp is 100ºF above liquidus temp (liquidus temp will vary with the alloy, a higher Tin content will lower the liquidus temp).

A good starting place for mold temp is (I don't have numbers for this) when the sprue freezes 3 to 6 seconds after the pour. Mold temp is dependent on casting cadence, which brings in technique.

Lastly, I find that taking thorough notes for each casting session helps with future casting sessions.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
05-04-2017, 05:06 PM
That's the least expensive part,wait til you start saving money buying molds,PID's,Powder coat,gas check makers,NOE sizers, AHH YA stick a fork in him he's DONE :drinks:
My Lee bottom pour is on the way. I'm out of excuses!

runfiverun
05-04-2017, 10:19 PM
100 over liquidous.
375-425 depending on what the mold is made of.

Whitespider
05-05-2017, 04:47 AM
I like bright shiny boolits, not frosty lookin' ones.
However, with aluminum molds I have trouble with rounded bases unless the boolits are just a touch on the frosty side.

high standard 40
05-05-2017, 07:52 AM
However, with aluminum molds I have trouble with rounded bases unless the boolits are just a touch on the frosty side.

Have you tried building a larger sprue puddle to try to maintain more heat in the sprue plate? It might help fill out that base better.

OS OK
05-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Here the pot is at 650*F...I'm working on my timing to get a better sprue cut on the base of the cast...I'm waiting 7 - 10 seconds and I'm running the mould at 375 - 400*F...these bases are filling in just fine. A generous sprue feeds the cooling boolit as it draws and freezes in the cavity.
The longer I cast, the more I get it in my head...good boolits come from a combination of temperatures...mould & pot together.

Just Wheel Weights...nothing added.

Grmps
05-05-2017, 03:13 PM

I like Casting @ 680 and used to have problems with rounded bases. I read (somewhere) on this forum that this is due to heat and difficulty/ lack of air displacement They suggested getting a fine sharpening stone (I used a diamond hone) and easing slightly the top inside edge of the molds slightly to allow the air to escape. IT WORKED for me

centershot
05-06-2017, 09:42 AM
So I guess what I'm saying is that while there are many techniques that can be considered standard and "gospel" so to speak, there are also no absolutes. What works for one person may not work for everyone. If what is considered to be "tried and true principles" don't work for you, don't be afraid to think outside the box. For me, I have found that hotter is not better, at least with this one mold.

Just as each rifle is a story unto itself, so to are molds, in my experience!

popper
05-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Casting only has 2 variables. Heat flow and air displacement. Hot mould gets rid of the moisture and reduces the amount of air to vent. Pour rate and temp of mould and alloy set the cooling rate of the alloy. Remember, the base part of the pour gets cooled by the COOLING body of the boolit as well as the sprue plate and mould. One of the reasons ladle/pressure pouring make more consistent boolits, especially the large ones.