PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
05-04-2017, 06:34 AM
They all met together and were constantly united in prayer, along with Mary the mother of Jesus, several other women, and the brothers of Jesus.—Acts 1:14 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=212d4b323a&e=3dd732485b)The book of Acts is the story of a handful of men and women who, by the power of the Holy Spirit, did not leave their world the same way they found it. They were ordinary people who, empowered by the Spirit, were able to do extraordinary things.

This was the beginning of a movement that continues to this day, because the book of Acts is the story of the life-transforming move of the Spirit of God changing the lives of those who encounter Him. Thus, it is an unfinished book.

I am not suggesting, of course, that we add new chapters to the book of Acts. But we should not put a period where God has put a comma. God is still working, and in a sense, these acts of the Holy Spirit are still being recorded in our day.

The book of Acts was written to cover a period of church history spanning about thirty years. As we read it, we basically see nonstop action. One chapter ends with a miracle, and another begins with something supernatural taking place. Thus, we might falsely conclude these first-century believers had miracles at every moment.

I don’t think that was necessarily the case. I think they, like us, had many days of simply walking by faith and applying biblical principles as they sought to obey God. Yet the book of Acts is the record of the intervention of the Holy Spirit, where He did amazing things here and there as He chose to do them. It is the record of the Spirit of God working through the Word of God in the hearts and lives of the people of God.

And within thirty years, this original group of 120 Christians and their converts were able to change the world.

Boaz
05-04-2017, 07:12 AM
It is truly unfinished . We carry on the work and GOD is still giving miracles . Thanks rl69 !

USMC87
05-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Amen, Great lesson and reminder.

buckwheatpaul
05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Acts is a very interesting book in the Bible...thanks for a quick refresher......Paul

Blackwater
05-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Quote: "They were ordinary people who, empowered by the Spirit, were able to do extraordinary things."

G. K. Chesterton once noted that when God wanted to do great things, He never seemed to seek out the high and mighty, or the best educated, or the most active people available. He simply turned to the "average person" nearby who had a simply pure heart. And with His blessing, these "ordinary people" did wondrous things, and changed the world, and our history.

God uses the most ordinary people in the most extraordinary ways, if only they're simply willing to act, and not stand and say "Somebody ought'a do (whatever)." It's the willing who learn to do the great things in this world. One example is all the good and varied men who fought in WWII. In one battle alone, one of the Generals said, "Extraordinary valor was a common virtue."

And so has it always been. Big "movers and shakers" do indeed have a sometimes profound effect on may, but ultimately, it's the "average person" who is simply willing to go upon God's errands who REALLY changes the world. But only when he has God on his side, backing him.

Many of us need to shed our contrived excuses for lack of action, and just become more diligent about our "studying to show
[ourselves] approved." And then, just act when God places us in the path of someone who needs what we have to offer. I was in the mall looking for a shirt and pants to wear to my 50th year class reunion yesterday, and had to sit down on a bench with a young black woman. She was nice, and smiled. Then her daughter came up asking if she could have an ice cream. Mama said she didn't have any money for ice cream. I thought for a second and asked how much an ice cream was, and gave the little girl a dollar. I hope it was enough. She went off very happy.

I've had occasion to talk to a lot of people in some depth about their lives. It's surprising how many will remember some little something back when they were kids, that helped shape their lives. To the adult involved, it was "nothing," most likely, but kids don't see things quite like we adults do, and we often forget that. It's so easy to make little differences sometimes. And we should never underestimate their value over time. "From little acorns mighty oaks grow." It works the same way with people. Little things DO sometimes make a difference.

It's easy to TALK about doing good, and complying with what Christ directed us to do. It's quite another to put it into practice, and not make excuses. We usually have many more opportunities than we recognize. Even little things can sometimes make a difference. And if we act, we will never be sorry. If we don't, we might.