PDA

View Full Version : Custer,S.D. cabin/motel

popper
05-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Wife wants to go there with our daughter this summer, we're looking for a place where we can stay with the shiatsu (leave in small carrier if needed). Anyone from around there knows of a place? G.K.s are going to some BSA thingy there, Mom would like to visit too. If any good fly fishing places nearby, I'd be interested too.

onceabull
05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Plenty of flyfishing opps in the Park...Probably best to locate a reasonably local flyshop for advise appro.to the time you will be there...I had a great time on the big lake(too lazy to look up the name) but I'm was told that water conditions there nake a big diff... It's along day and half for me,or I would be there every year....Onceabull

johnson1942
05-03-2017, 06:12 PM
please check your pm/s

Plate plinker
05-03-2017, 10:32 PM
They have cabins in the state park that looked decent enough to me.

Do the cave tours its fun.

runfiverun
05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
you got some other stuff in the area to see for sure too, but everything is a drive one way or the other.

johnson1942
05-04-2017, 09:43 AM
bear world and reptile garden in rapid city, the wild berry wine shop and german restaurant in hill city, the caves, the trails, the lakes, mount rushmore, fudge and pie shops. the pie place is in custer, fudge shops every where. the shop in custer that has all kind of animal skins and furs and teeth and claws and glass beads. the wild life to see. the hundred mile trail that goes to dead wood. if you gamble, dead wood. some good restaurants there. it goes on and on. the 1800/s train at custer. the climb up to black elk peak, finally renamed it to a good name, harney peak was named after a constantly drunk blue coat officer who killed natives just to kill them. now he will be remembered no more. the federal parks are wonderful up there. there is a masterdon and mammoth site that is very good at hot springs. there is a huge clean water lake with good swimming and fishing just out side of hot springs. dont go near the buffalo, they are dangerous. lots of mountain lions up there, and rattle snakes.

jonp
05-04-2017, 11:30 AM
If you go to Mt Rushmore and you should, dont pass up the caverns.

sundog
05-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Be sure to go to Crazy Horse!

RGrosz
05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Don't forget The Badlands and Wall Drug, an hour or two away. And Devil's Tower in Wyo.

Screwbolts
05-04-2017, 03:31 PM
I have been driving right past Rushmore for the last 7 years and going straight to Crazy Horse. My wife and I make annual trips to Crazy Horse, we went twice each of the last 2 years. The restaurant at Crazy Horse ( Laughing Water ) is also a great place to eat. That German place in Hill City ( Alpine House ) serves some fine food also. IMHO, Crazy Horse is a must, now that Pres. Trumps photo will be the main Photo at Rushmore, it will be more palatable to go there.

Lots to do in the area.

Ken

Plate plinker
05-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Badlands +1
Wall Drug -50 it sucks and is a tourist trap waste of time.

shunka
05-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Ican personally recommend the rock crest cabins. stayed there several years . a bit pricy but extremely nice, quiet, lots of deer in the yard.
http://rockcrestlodge.com/the-lodge/log-cabins/