PDA

View Full Version : alluminium receiver

canuck4570
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
are these alluminium receiver durable.... planing to buy a Steyr scout rifle wich has a alluminium receiver .... I shoot around 4 to 5 thousand round a year ... thank you....

Doc Highwall
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
That's what a lot of bench rest guns are made of and M16's but on the other I don't think I would want to take a fall in the woods with an aluminum receiver. If you are only looking at something like a 308Win I would look at a Remington model 7 with a kevlar stock and not look back.

felix
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Doc, what bench rest guns are you speaking of? ... felix

missionary5155
07-16-2008, 06:29 PM
As stated the M16 is still cooking after beating in doors , breaking wood window frames, smacking vehicle frames, and getting the blunt of all sorts of bodies flopping down looking for that lower place.
How many Mossburgs have taken crunches, smashes, and whacks out in the fields ... I like steel but well designed alloy aluminum seems to work well.

Doc Highwall
07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Felix, the benchrest action I am talking about is the Stolle Panda, a friend of mine shoots one in 6.5-284Win. There is a good write up on it in Benchrest Actions & Triggers, by Stuart Otteson.

Redleg99
08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
canuck4570,

No issues with the receivers on either my AR’s or my Steyr Scout – although admittedly, I don’t have too many rounds through my Scout.

It looks to me like the Scout’s (steel) bolt locks directly into the (steel) barrel –maybe barrel extension would be a better term – in a manner similar to an AR-15.

Given the track record of the AR’s aluminum receiver, I’m confident that my Scout’s receiver won't give me any problems – YMMV, however.