PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at HP mold conversion

johnly
07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
It was hot outside, and the shop in the basement was cool, so I broke out the dial indicator and warmed up the Bridgeport to take a crack at converting a Lyman 356402 mold to hollow point format. Why??? Well, just to be different I guess.

The setup when much quicker than I thought it would. Just lucky I guess. I center drilled the hole to start, then drilled the hole first with #38 drill, then followed up with a new 1/8" bit. The hard part was done.

I then used a piece of 1/8" 303 to machine the pin from, as it provided a nice fit to the hole that was drilled in the cavity.

A bit later, I needed to cast some 6.5mm bullets so I decided to see how the modified mold functioned. 10:1 allow isn't optimum for HP bullets, but what the heck. If they shoot as well as they look, I have a winner.

John

docone31
07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
That is a daggoned good looking HP casting. I think you succeeded.
Now, how does it perform?

Handgunr
07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
It looks like a nice clean job John.........

I guess the proof's in the shooting though.....how'd she do ?

Next question..........what's your address ?................I got the same mould, and although I don't use it for 9mm much anymore, I'd love to create some destructive round for chucks out of my magnum.
Right now, if I need to, I size and lube the bullet, then I swage it into hollowpoint form using my CH swaging dies. The lube keeps the lube groove from collapsing when I swage it to the different shape and .358 diameter.

Good goin......

Take care,
Bob

copdills
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
very clean and neat professional JOB

johnly
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Just cast them last night, so I haven't had the chance to size them as yet. The HP extends to the end of the tapered section, and as a result the weight dropped to 113 grains.

I'd like to do some expansion testing, but I have to think of a place where I can do the tests.

Buckshot has better equipment to do this type of conversion, and I'd trust his machining skills over mine.

John