PDA

View Full Version : 9 puppies last night!

nagantguy
05-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Our dog, a treeing cur had a litter of 9 pups last night! The father is a local legend of a coon and squirrel dog of the same breed. My daughter and niece were her mid wives and were a tremendous help! We think she did great for a first litter,9 live births and they all lived and there is no obvious runt or weakling!

Ithaca Gunner
05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Congrats! Puppies are the most fun things in life!

I can still envision when we had ten Golden Retreiver pups moving as a herd of one after their mother! It was a sight to behold, ten little Goldens all packed together chasing after mom wherever she went. I wish I had kept one, mom was the best Golden we ever had.

nagantguy
05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
We are keeping at least one;their is a very smart little fellow whom sleeps and eats between his mothers back legs, where he lays he has total 24/access to her right side hind teet and doesn't have any litter mates crawling over him so he's warm and fed 24/7 and figured this out inside 20 hours! I like the smart ones; but there is this little las' whom seems to be the scrappiest of the lot; something to be said for the fighter as well, then there is the wandering pup, he's just a hair bigger than the rest and all over the place, he almost managed to get out of the whelping box this morning, I also like the independent ones!

runfiverun
05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
those are cool looking dogs.
I have never heard of the breed, but they look to have a good size and shape.

WILCO
05-02-2017, 12:50 PM
I love great news! Thank you.

OBIII
05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
My black Labs first and only litter consisted of 14 pups, and all of them lived, including the runt. I had to use a couple of tie wraps on a couple of them to stop the bleeding.
OB

nagantguy
05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
It's the type of dog old yeller was in the book, mountain cur,black mouth cur and treeing cur are very very closely related breeds. Very smart very good hunting dogs, wild pig hunters prefer them, great coon dogs, great cow dogs, ours can catch loose chicken and bring it back to the coop without hurting a feather on it, Very soft mouthed.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Congratulations there is no better friend than a Lab

runfiverun
05-03-2017, 02:19 AM
Hmm.
I will have to keep my eyes open for one around here.
I don't hunt raccoons or pigs [mainly cause we don't have them here, at least no pigs anyway]
but a hunting dog is a hunting dog if they are handled right.

I taught Five to hunt rabbits, and I didn't think you could teach a Lab to do that.

toallmy
05-03-2017, 04:04 AM
Hunting with a 4 legged buddy is a blessing even on a bad day .

skeeter2
05-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Congrats. You will be tired from all the work caring for them until they are ready to go to new homes. Once they start getting more independent, they are a lot of work. There's s lot of poop to be picked up.

nagantguy
05-03-2017, 09:37 AM
R5R you are correct , a dog, a hunter, predator will or can taught to hunt anything. Ours is hell on rabbits and is great in the water. By far the fastest dog I've ever owned, I've had golden retriever s labs of every flavor hounds begals and German Shepards and the curs can run them all into the ground.

375supermag
05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
R5R you are correct , a dog, a hunter, predator will or can taught to hunt anything. Ours is hell on rabbits and is great in the water. By far the fastest dog I've ever owned, I've had golden retriever s labs of every flavor hounds begals and German Shepards and the curs can run them all into the ground.

Hi...

I have been blessed with a bunch of great dogs in my life from beagles to Dobermans to Alaskan Malamute to Labs and just plain mutts.
The fastest dog I have ever had is our current Yellow Lab Thor...this pup will soon be two years old and he can flat out fly over the ground. He weighs about 125lbs and is an irrepressible bundle of energy. Strange...his litter mate a Black Lab Loki while energetic is considerably lighter (about 90lbs) and cannot run with his larger brother.

The Yellow Lab is also the most affectionate and demanding of attention dog I have ever had as well. He believes that everybody is his friend and he will force you to pay attention to him no matter what. It doesn't help that he has the saddest eyes that I have ever seen on a dog when he wants something or attention. He knows how to look sad, lonely and pathetic all at the same time...which is quite a trick because he usually struts around with a big happy dog grin on his face.

The Black Lab is almost completely the opposite. Still very affectionate but very laid back unless it is play time. Spends most of his time curled up in the big oversized living room chair that he claimed. It allows him to sit above the carnage that his littermate wreaks on an hourly basis as he contemplates whatever it is that dogs contemplate.

sundog
05-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Yeppers, my lab rescue yellow lab, Gus, can cover about 5 acres in under 3 seconds - on a slow day.... And when he is ready for attention (just about all the time) he flat out gets it one way or t'other! And he has an ignore button, too.

308Jeff
05-03-2017, 01:15 PM
I need a puppy.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
I taught Five to hunt rabbits, and I didn't think you could teach a Lab to do that.

He is saying to his friends right now "I taught him to let me hunt rabbits. Not many labs can teach them that."

It's interesting that it seems mostly to be the healthy and practical breeds that have large litters. One of my pet hates is the huge popularity of the French bulldog in recent years. They have been bred into dreadful breathing and dental problems in the name of peculiar appearance. Reproduction frequently involves both caesarean section artificial insemination, for reasons male French bulldogs are better off not knowing. But puppies, particularly the uncommon blue brindle, sell for very high prices.

Young Hanlon's breeder is a vet, of the veterinary kind, and tells me she knows no case of a genuine litter of more than four. But litters of eight or more are frequently registered. Why? How? Well, the Kennel Club has limits on the number of litters and age of the mothers, which you can register. So unscrupulous breeders are foisting them off on the next generation.

It isn't just about the mothers. It can cover up a degree of inbreeding which isn't allowed, and foul up the control of hereditary disorders. Irish terriers are as healthy as a mackerel, mostly, but they did have a painful cracking of the pads which was found to be caused by a recessive gene. The breed association has done a fine job of organising DNA tests and banning the breeding of carrier with carrier. What are the odds on people falsifying pedigrees and being conscientious about that? It could be something a lot worse than sore feet.

375supermag
05-04-2017, 09:44 AM
I need a puppy.

More importantly...there is a puppy somewhere who desperately needs you to give him a good home.

nagantguy
05-04-2017, 02:06 PM
I need a puppy.
Pm me

Ballistics in Scotland
05-04-2017, 04:41 PM
I sometimes walk Lanty out of the park where the toy dogs are - good friends of his, and he shows marvellous tact coaxing a bit of fun out of morbidly submissive Chihuahua puppies the size of his head. At about a mile out of town along the beach most breeds fall away, and you are left with the labs and spaniels. At three miles it's entirely the more athletic type of lab, and the occasional working springer.

nagantguy
05-08-2017, 09:34 AM
It's been one week and she has managed to keep all 9 pups alive and well and fat as little pigs! Not to shabby for a first time ! And even at a week old and still blind and deaf they have personalities! Every day that goes by it's gonna be harder on me and the girls to get ride of them! But I do need momma dog back on duty, we've had foxes and weasels in the yard since she's been out of commission! It appeares to the untrained eye that she just runs around the property and barks randomly but know I know she was preforming a vital task, warning all would be chicken coop raiders that she was on duty and ready to fight!

John Allen
05-08-2017, 10:20 AM
The only thing funner than baby puppies is baby goats!!!!

nagantguy
05-08-2017, 01:20 PM
It might be a tie, we raised several goats back on the day, they are funny, the pups might have more personality than the kid goats.

Lloyd Smale
05-09-2017, 05:48 AM
weve got a chocolate that just turned 6 months. Hes a bundle of energy and a lot more work then our last lab was. This one is more affectionate like yours and more energetic like yours. The old one was a bit more mellow and maybe a bit smarter. He never even needed to be house trained and never even did his business in the yard. this one is house broke now but was a challenge to get there and still does his business about 20 feet from the front door. He loves people but is nervous and barks until they get right next to him. About the only time the old one barked is when he wanted in the house. Buddy was just talking to me yesterday and made a good point. A guy shouldn't compare a new pup to another dog you had. There all different and that's part of the fun of having one. I know this one and I are about inseparable already. have to agree with some others here. theres NOTHING like a lab!
Hi...

I have been blessed with a bunch of great dogs in my life from beagles to Dobermans to Alaskan Malamute to Labs and just plain mutts.
The fastest dog I have ever had is our current Yellow Lab Thor...this pup will soon be two years old and he can flat out fly over the ground. He weighs about 125lbs and is an irrepressible bundle of energy. Strange...his litter mate a Black Lab Loki while energetic is considerably lighter (about 90lbs) and cannot run with his larger brother.

The Yellow Lab is also the most affectionate and demanding of attention dog I have ever had as well. He believes that everybody is his friend and he will force you to pay attention to him no matter what. It doesn't help that he has the saddest eyes that I have ever seen on a dog when he wants something or attention. He knows how to look sad, lonely and pathetic all at the same time...which is quite a trick because he usually struts around with a big happy dog grin on his face.

The Black Lab is almost completely the opposite. Still very affectionate but very laid back unless it is play time. Spends most of his time curled up in the big oversized living room chair that he claimed. It allows him to sit above the carnage that his littermate wreaks on an hourly basis as he contemplates whatever it is that dogs contemplate.

375supermag
05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Hi...
Had a little excitement here at the estate today involving the Labs.
They sort of got into a mini-war with a ground hog down along the wood line.
The black Lab yelped and ran and hid, but the big yellow one did a real number on the ground hog. Shook him and crippled him pretty badly.
Wasn't interested in finishing him off, so I terminated the argument with a load of No.6 shot out of one of my 12ga shotguns.

I was surprised the black Lab ran off and hid... I had to coax him out of the woods. The yellow one acted like it was no big deal and just walked away. The toughest fight they were ever in before was chasing bees and butterflies...so this was a big step up in weight class.

Just another day here where nothing ever happens.