PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358477 in 9mm?

pbchunkr
05-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I just rediscovered a forgotten about (no longer load .38/.357) 358477 4-cavity mold.
Does anyone have experience with and load suggestions for this bullet in 9mm?
I want to try 'em in my M&P 9c.
Clays, Universal, Bullseye, WSF, Unique and #5 are in my powder stash.

I've searched for relevant threads with no luck - maybe I didn't use the right search terms.

Larry Gibson
05-02-2017, 11:37 AM
3.5 Unique
WW cases
CCI SP
860 fps S&W M59
May have to size .356 depending on case used

Larry Gibson

pbchunkr
05-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Larry, that'll get me going. :Fire:

gwpercle
05-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Load up a few dummies , no powder - no primer , make sure they fit the magazine and see if they will manually cycle into the chamber .
The semi-wadcutter profile may or may not cycle . I had to deep seat this boolit it to get it to function in my 9 mm. The deep seating left little powder room . I did manage to shoot a few without damage to me or gun but I found it much better to get a properly designed 9 mm boolit mould. I don't remember the exact load tried but it was with Unique powder.
Gary

runfiverun
05-02-2017, 12:29 PM
don't use titegroup.
I bulged out the frame on a Taurus using that combination and pushing things too far.
it was the best shooting combination that gun had ever seen until I got to the 'turn the chrome frame green' point.
[I still don't miss that gun]

but bulls-eye will work, start at about 2.0 grs and work ahead.
your gonna squish the base of the boolit down some that far down in the case.
I size to 358 and bump the BHN up to about 14.

pbchunkr
05-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks, guys.
I have to derust the mold before I can do any casting, so a run to the Auto parts store for some Evapo-Rust tomorrow.

Bigslug
05-04-2017, 02:15 PM
From Elmer Keith's Sixguns:

"Many handloaders have used the Keith 160 grain hollow point in all three of these auto pistol cartridges (.38 Colt Auto, .38 Super, & 9mm) and some of the Keith hollow base bullets. They seat all the bands down in the case friction tight and use three grains of Bullseye in the 9mm Luger and claim perfect functioning and excellent small game killing"

From the context, and my own experience with the NOE Keith clones, it's pretty clear he's talking about the hollow point version of the 358429, which does in fact weigh about 160 grains, and makes a dandy stand in for a duplicate of the 158 grain "FBI load". You might look up the blueprint for that and compare the base length to your bullet, then figure out what the difference in case volume between the two would be (I expect the major difference will be the nose) . Probably worth backing that charge off a skosh as creep up from there. In terms of function, I'd guess the feed ramp wouldn't know the difference between a revolver SWC and one of the truncated cone auto bullets.

pbchunkr
05-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info, Bigslug, that helps a lot.
I'm happy to report that the Evapo-Rust worked like magic on the blocks and with my alloy they run about 158.5 gr.
A dummy round loads just fine from the mag so looks like you're right about the nose shapes.

Bigslug
05-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Before you start shooting, seat and then pull a bullet and check it for diameter. You're stuffing a pretty long shank down into the case, so the brass causing downsizing to too small a diameter (with resultant leading) is a real possibility. The solution for my Dad's Springfield was harder alloy (to reduce squeeze-down) and a Lee .38 S&W sizer (to open the cases a little wider). Don't recall which of the two was the greater fix - the gun simply shot better with the hard mix so we've stuck with both.

pbchunkr
05-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Will do, Bigslug. I can go to a harder alloy then the .38 sizer if needed.