PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a couple peices of pewter today. At least i hope its pewter

GARD72977
04-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Here are some pics. What doI have. This is the first time i have tried buying pewter from a yard sale.

Both scratch easily. Is the one marked Rever Pewter fine pewter?

TexasGrunt
04-29-2017, 08:40 PM
The Revere is actual pewter. If I had to guess I'd say the other piece is NOT pewter. It appears sand cast and that's typically not used in casting pewter. Is it by any chance a Wilton piece?

jsizemore
04-29-2017, 08:42 PM
The one on the left is Wilton and is NOT pewter but an aluminum alloy. Revere pewter is the real deal.

Shiloh
04-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Pewter substutes are harder than pewter. Most are aluminum alloys with no tin in alloy at all.

Shiloh

GARD72977
04-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys. I really thought they were both pewter. I only paid 3 bucks fo both. Guess thats about what the one that is pewter is worth.

imashooter2
04-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Look at the difference in form of the real piece vs the junk. The real piece has thin sections with rolled or formed edges for stiffness. Handles are always soldered on. The fake stuff is cast and very thick by comparison. Soon, you'll be able to see it isn't pewter from across the room.

GARD72977
04-29-2017, 09:44 PM
This is the peice that is not Pewter194342

Looking at it i should have known. It looks cheap.

Shiloh
04-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Look at the difference in form of the real piece vs the junk. The real piece has thin sections with rolled or formed edges for stiffness. Handles are always soldered on. The fake stuff is cast and very thick by comparison. Soon, you'll be able to see it isn't pewter from across the room.

Fake pewter has sort of a slippery feel to it. Almost like a dry waxy type feel.

Shiloh

dbosman
04-30-2017, 12:43 PM
I went years without seeing pewter. Now I can't not see it.
I recently got fooled, but not too badly. It turns out there is a company named "Pewterware". But is was a paper label not a hallmark. There is also a company that stamps their work "Pew ta". It's shiny, pot metal made to fool people.

jimb16
05-01-2017, 12:03 PM
The first one looks like "Durametal"; an aluminum alloy. The other thing to watch out for is plated brass that can have the look and heft of pewter. And be careful of "weighted" pewter. Many times you think you have a good chunk of pewter and it is nothing more than a thin shell over sand or putty to give it weight/heft. 1 oz. of pewter over 6 oz. of putty! I've gotten taken by a couple of those before.

Grmps
05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
If the item looks right but doesn't say "pewter" on it and I'm getting low on pewter I'll cheat a little and squeeze the item. If it bends / deforms easily I'll take a chance on it.

Traffer
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
I just whip out a butane lighter and hold it under a corner for about a half a minute. If it is pewter it will melt already.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2017, 03:40 PM
If the item looks right but doesn't say "pewter" on it and I'm getting low on pewter I'll cheat a little and squeeze the item. If it bends / deforms easily I'll take a chance on it.
yep, that's my trick also. Pewter at the thrift stores is very rare in my area. I think I have found 3 or 4 pieces (candle sticks) in the last 3 years.

slk
05-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Way before I started using pewter for casting I had always heard that if it was real pewter it was suppose to say pewter on it, and if it did not it was fake stuff or aluminum.