PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP patrol 7.62

kfd518
04-29-2017, 07:18 PM
I've been looking at this rifle and I can find very little information on it. It was discussed here before but that was shortly after its release.
1.)Any one with much time On this rifle? Accurate?
2.)Tight NATO chamber or loose?
3.)How well does it take field and truck conditions?
4.)Any problems with any particular mags in it?
5.)Does it shoot factory ammo well in case the need should arise? Or does it pretty much need to be hand loaded to get the best out of it (more so than other rifles?)?

mcdaniel.mac
04-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Had one, sold it.

1. Accurate enough, prefers heavier bullets. Nothing the write home about. The stock is Ikea, the mag well is wonky plastic and the release tough to hit. There are replacements available. Trigger is good, bolt travel is sloppy as all get out.

2. Chamber on mine was tight. Did not like steel cases or the German plastic training ammo.

3. Stock chipped easily, otherwise okay.

4. No problems, But I only ran DPMS/SR25 pattern magazines.

5. Everything needs to be handloaded to get the best out of it, but I never ran match ammo in it for groups or anything.

Frankly I think the GSR is a better investment, but I'm factoring in the cost of a new stock, new magazine well, and the sloppy bolt.

kfd518
04-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Was that one of the early wood stocked ones? Can anyone clear up the question as to if newer ones really do have synthetic stocks?
On 5, I guess what I was getting at was will it do an alright group w factory at all?

mcdaniel.mac
04-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Was that one of the early wood stocked ones? Can anyone clear up the question as to if newer ones really do have synthetic stocks?
On 5, I guess what I was getting at was will it do an alright group w factory at all?

It was a 2013, I know some of the other models had synthetic stocks, but as of then the Patrol came with a beaver-barf stock with a polymer-ish paint over it. I know the Thunder Ranch has a synthetic stock, not sure about any of the newer models.

147-150gr was okay, 168-180gr was pretty good, 2.5" groups at 100yd without a rest or anything. I want to say I was shooting PRVI soft points. I did take every screw out, clean all the threads, and reinstall them at correct torque with threadlocker before shooting though.

kfd518
04-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Thank you for the information sir. Anyone else?

flint45
05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Beaver - barf stock! no tell'in what they will make stocks out of these days.[smilie=l:

kfd518
05-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Just found out an older friend of mine has one. Right after purchasing a 1916 Spanish Mauser 7.62 conversion and a ruger Hawkeye 308 RCM. Needless to say the patrol acquisition is on the back burner, if the RCM doesn't completely push my interest out in the patrol

seaboltm
05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
I have one. Shoots OK. Mine is the newer synthetic stock. Needing bedding as the recoil lug did not make contact with the stock at all. magazine well is cheap plastic and I don't think there is a replacement. There is a replacement for the MVP Patrol 223 and I had one, mostly because the factory one broke the first time I used it. Mine uses both DPMS and M14 mags just fine. Very portable and handy. My son is "borrowing" it to hunt hogs. More than accurate enough to do what it was designed to do. Not "match" accurate by any means.

nagantguy
05-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Been looking at on of these my self, have heard such mixed reviews that I'm going to hold off a while