PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn today??

Whitespider
04-28-2017, 06:39 PM
I learned a few things...

A citric acid bath may be the best way to prep an iron mold for casting. I have an iron .38 RN Lyman mold that was given to me... badly deteriorated. It's been rusty, cavities black and pitted. I decided to use it to make a handful of soft lead slugs for slugging bores. This morning I scrubbed it good in hot soppy water, rinsed and tossed in a citric acid bath... ½ hour later I scrubbed it again in soppy water. I continued alternating between citric acid and scrubbing in soapy water until my toothbrush stopped turning black during scrubbing. The first boolit out of the mold was completely filled out and fell from the mold from it's own weight. I find that really interesting... further testing is in order.
It's completely understandable to be excited about using a new mold... however...
No matter how much you prep it, and pre-heat it, if your alloy is not up to temperature it will not throw good boolits :groner: (I don't use a thermometer).
Synthetic two-cycle oil is 100-times better than Anti-Seize as a mold lube. And it don't take very much... the tiny bottle I purchased may supply my grand-kids with mold lube.
Spending a bit extra on a mold is well worth it... period.
Even if your shop feels a bit cool... if you're wearing wool long underwear, starting the wood stove will make you sweat horribly standing over a hot pot with a ladle.
No matter how fatigued you get, it's really hard to take a break and refill the pot when the mold is running like a finely tuned machine.
And when the mold is running in such a way, you're wife will never understand why you won't stop to talk to her when she comes to the shop asking questions.

It was a good day.

Reddirt62
04-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Awesome! I learned that "real" pewter melts at around 360°

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jimb16
04-28-2017, 07:09 PM
I learned that in skeet shooting, it doesn't matter how creaky the joints are, it is still fun to get out there and blast a few birds. (scored 20, 21 and 20) Just couldn't seem to get the joints moving today.

"And when the mold is running in such a way, you're wife will never understand why you won't stop to talk to her when she comes to the shop asking questions."-----Mine doesn't understand it either!

DerekP Houston
04-28-2017, 07:22 PM
6. No matter how fatigued you get, it's really hard to take a break and refill the pot when the mold is running like a finely tuned machine.

You nailed this one! My most frustrating molds almost *always* start working right when i decide to quit.....but you can't quit if the boolits are raining down

RedRiver
04-28-2017, 07:54 PM
I learned that almost every time I go to the scrap yard and start digging around, I end up coming home with a cut that will always get infected and take a month to heal up.

rancher1913
04-28-2017, 08:15 PM
I learned that sorting and melting wheel weights for somebody else, even for pay, is not as fun as doing it for yourself.

runfiverun
04-28-2017, 09:56 PM
I learned that all shot shell hulls are not the same diameter internally.
and that not all wads are the same diameter externally and they might even be larger in the middle than at the gas seal.
this can be good and or bad depending on the hull your using at the time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Today,
-I learned I have one more 38/357 reloading die set..that'd be, one more than I thought I had? and I was real happy when I found it, while looking for another set.
-I also learned that riding a scooter on a sunny 40º day is a lot colder than riding a snowmobile on a sunny 0º day.
-and I taught my neighbor this ...saved seed is a lot cheaper than store bought seed.

runfiverun
04-29-2017, 06:41 PM
yeah.... but.
the neighbors don't like it when you let the front lawn go to seed so you can plant the back lawn.

Whitespider
04-29-2017, 07:49 PM
I learned that all shot shell hulls are not the same diameter internally.
and that not all wads are the same diameter externally...
LOL
I haven't loaded shotshells for a few years now, but back when I was shooting trap league I tried to make every hull count. I've got buckets upon buckets of different hulls... and every imaginable wad there is (or was at the time). There's a whole cabinet full of wads in my reloading area... 12 and 20 gauge... some day I'll need to start using them up. The problem is, what do I shoot them at??

Digital Dan
04-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Carpenter bees?

jsizemore
04-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Green walnut is quite heavy. A piece 3.5"x 14"x 20' feels like lifting an upright piano. 2 pieces this size are more then twice the fun. Next time you cut walnut lumber, bring help.

GhostHawk
04-29-2017, 09:24 PM
I learned that a light brush of saved bacon fat and olive oil will get my dog to devour things that he would not really even give a good sniff to just 5 minutes earlier.

My little guy is 3, half chihuahua, half midnight wanderer with a dose of terrior, or Pomeranian. He has the pom's high domed forhead, big eyes, perky ears, and ruff, but all with the chihuahua's light sand short hair. Fussy eater, unless it came from my plate. I know he think's he's people, and ever so often he does something bad because he gets in a snit when he did not get outside when he wanted or because I did not understand what it was he was demanding. Little rascal. Weighs about 12 lb, full of the dickens, love to fetch his chartruse green squeaky balls for me.

Spends most of his time snuggled under the afghan over my legs pressed up tight against my right leg, sleeping and dreaming.

No I don't love him much, or spoil him much, nahh.

TXGunNut
04-30-2017, 06:16 PM
I learned awhile back that shotgun shells weren't worth the time, trouble and equipment to reload....at least for me. At $55-60/case there are other things I'd rather be reloading and a good shotshell press takes up precious room on my loading bench, not to mention all the room wads and hulls require.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2017, 08:07 PM
I learned two new things today.

148gr WC in 38spl with 2.9gr of Bullseye is kind of a hot load in my S&W 36 (Chief's Special).

AND

148gr WC (cast with soft range scrap, 9 BHN) in 38spl with 2.9gr of Bullseye fired from a 4" GP-100 at a backstop made of railroad ties, will not penetrate (luckily I didn't need to dig any ricochets out of my forehead) also, I was quite impressed with expansion and weight retention for the few projectiles I was able to find after they bustled through the grass near my feet.

Whitespider
04-30-2017, 08:31 PM
(luckily I didn't need to dig any ricochets out of my forehead)
LOL
At one time, when my eyes were younger, I would show-off by sticking a beer bottle cap (one of those that required a "church key" to remove) in the bark of an old Bur Oak Tree in the yard and shooting it with a .22 Rimfire revolver with on hand. One day I actually did take a ricochet in the forehead just above the right eye... it hurt like the dickens, drew blood, and raised a welt the size of a golf ball. I have no idea if it was the projectile or a piece of the tree that hit me... but it was the last time I performed that "show-off" trick.
I cannot tell you how much that hurt... it near put my on my knees.

Thumbcocker
04-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Yesterday I learned that Mrs. Thumbcocker will size boolits in the Star sizer for the .32 mag loads she like shooting.

ole_270
04-30-2017, 08:49 PM
I learned awhile back that shotgun shells weren't worth the time, trouble and equipment to reload....at least for me. At $55-60/case there are other things I'd rather be reloading and a good shotshell press takes up precious room on my loading bench, not to mention all the room wads and hulls require.

Except for 16 gauge. Nearly all the loads available are promo loads. If you want quality shot and better patterns you've got to do it yourself. This is where r5r's post comes in. The domestic wads are for the tapered cases like the Rem. Game Load sp and the long discontinued compression formed case. The Federal and import poly-formed cases are straight wall and take a larger wad like the imported SG-16, Z16, especially if you are using fine grained powder like Longshot, to keep the powder from migrating past the cup. The new Downrange DR-16 works well with either, but is best with 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads. Finding a wad with a 1 1/8 oz shotcup to use in the straight wall cases can be a hassle. Such is life if you tend to stay with the old, no longer popular equipment.

TexasGrunt
05-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I learned that replacing one smart thermostat with another brand smart thermostat is a royal PITA. I'm actually still working on that little project.

upnorthwis
05-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I learned that If I buy a new car that they no longer come with CD players. Now I will have to get myself into the 21st century. (Kicking and screaming)

Wayne Smith
05-01-2017, 02:35 PM
I learned yesterday that when it is 90 degrees and the humidity is 78% standing over hot lead is not fun.

Harter66
05-01-2017, 02:54 PM
I learned that Redding is responsive to customer service . Even when you admit that you got it at a gun show .

My Ms wouldn't care if I stood there casting for a week so long as she could steal my attention for that 5 min between reload the pot ,wash,pee,wash, drink , snack bite, temp check and pour .

Texas by God
05-01-2017, 03:05 PM
My old Mec 600jr will load great 6 pt crimp hulls-see where I 'm going here?
Shotshell loading has a bunchabuncha variables!
Right now Fiocchi hulls and AA wads and Red Dot and 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2 shot WORKS.
It might not later. Dark Arts-shotshell loading!
Best, Thomas.

LeadPoisonTX
05-02-2017, 03:19 PM
I learned that I like larger pour holes on my molds, after observing that some molds have a very small pour hole and I was getting wrinkled and poorly filled boolits. Took the Dremel and with great care and patience, enlarged the pour holes on the sprue plate. Polished them to remove any burs. Boolits are of much more consistent quality and my molds are more enjoyable to use now.

15meter
05-02-2017, 04:55 PM
I learned a few things...

A citric acid bath may be the best way to prep an iron mold for casting. I have an iron .38 RN Lyman mold that was given to me... badly deteriorated. It's been rusty, cavities black and pitted. I decided to use it to make a handful of soft lead slugs for slugging bores. This morning I scrubbed it good in hot soppy water, rinsed and tossed in a citric acid bath... ½ hour later I scrubbed it again in soppy water. I continued alternating between citric acid and scrubbing in soapy water until my toothbrush stopped turning black during scrubbing. The first boolit out of the mold was completely filled out and fell from the mold from it's own weight. I find that really interesting... further testing is in order.
It's completely understandable to be excited about using a new mold... however...
No matter how much you prep it, and pre-heat it, if your alloy is not up to temperature it will not throw good boolits :groner: (I don't use a thermometer).
Synthetic two-cycle oil is 100-times better than Anti-Seize as a mold lube. And it don't take very much... the tiny bottle I purchased may supply my grand-kids with mold lube.
Spending a bit extra on a mold is well worth it... period.
Even if your shop feels a bit cool... if you're wearing wool long underwear, starting the wood stove will make you sweat horribly standing over a hot pot with a ladle.
No matter how fatigued you get, it's really hard to take a break and refill the pot when the mold is running like a finely tuned machine.
And when the mold is running in such a way, you're wife will never understand why you won't stop to talk to her when she comes to the shop asking questions.

It was a good day.

Item seven is why my shop door has a lock on it, in addition to reloading I have a nice woodshop. With my hearing I don't need someone coming up behind me when I'm casting/turning/cutting/jointing/ect.

woodbutcher
05-02-2017, 05:30 PM
:-x Today relearned to NEVER trust other drivers.I always pause for a couple of seconds before pulling away from a stop light.Glad I did today.A COP with his head up his tail pipe and cell phone in his ear blew right through a red light.And NO his emergency lights or siren were not on.They are as big of idiots as anyone else when driving.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Ron in PA
05-02-2017, 09:30 PM
I Learned when on vacation for 2 weeks, it's hard to go back to work.

blackthorn
05-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Day before yesterday we learned that Gail is SIX years cancer free!!!!!

whisler
05-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Now that is cause for rejoicing!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-03-2017, 10:05 PM
today, I learned that just when you think nothing else can go wrong, something goes wrong, than another, and another.

I've been putting off loading some new boolits in 6.5 ...so I decided to do that today.
I've loaded other boolits for this Jap custom rifle, and only got mediocre results. I had High hopes for this new mold (NOE 270-149-RN) as it's a lovern type, but also tapered. Everything has been ready for 8 months, I just needed to assemble the rounds. I guess I knew in the back of my head, it wouldn't go smoothly. First thing, I choose to quit using a mil surp powder and use 2400. The first step of the ladder, all the powder drops were right on. The next step, something was up, first I'd get 14.7 and the next drop would be 15.0, then 14.7, then 15.0 back and forth, back and forth. I couldn't trouble shoot the problem? Then the OAL started changing, .010 longer, then .020 longer, then back to what I had it set to, then longer...and so on. It's like my reloading room was possessed. I am using with a modified Bonanza BR seater. I think the way the RN engages the seater stem is too far down the ojive, so I think I need to make a epoxy insert/form.

I gave up for the day, maybe I'll look at it this weekend?

bns454
05-03-2017, 10:30 PM
I learned to not submit a mold design when your dead dog tired and your eyes dont see right and forget to change the lube groove depth so its not too shallow for a shiney new brass mold.