PDA

View Full Version : Gas check question again!

Duce
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Does anyone make there own gas checks? I could make the dies to make my own gas checks and am wondering!

docone31
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
There is a person on this forum who makes a kit to make the checks. I have seen gas check tools on Ebay.
I think it is quite reasonable to make your own gas checks.
I also saw a tool years ago, Called Tap A Cap. This tool made caps for percussion rifles.
I bet you can get a lot of information from the folks here.

Lead melter
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31005

Duce,

Hit this thread for more info. It may still be in the works.

Duce
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
For years I made progressive dies for punch presses and I was think of making a universal progressive die that could change out the punches and hole sets for any caliber. I have not got a lead on any strips of copper but I think I remember seeing strips in a hobby shop that I could use. I was thinking of making it a manual press that you had to just pull down by hand and not use a press. It would be all manual, you would have to feed the copper strip forward by hand after each stroke but hey, all I have is time on my hands right now so no bother for me. Now if I can find pre-made dies that work I can just make a had stroke die mount that would be easy and also universal.

docone31
07-15-2008, 03:52 PM
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=mini+rolling+mill&Submit=Go
Now you can use any copper flashing, cut it in strips, roll it out to thickness and check away.

KYCaster
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Duce, where in KY are you located. I have some ideas of my own, but very little experience with machine tools and even less with die design. I'd like to sit down and discuss a few things with you.

Jerry

Duce
07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
KYCaster I am in norther Kentucky Pendleton county if you know the area.

GrizzLeeBear
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
....and I was think of making a universal progressive die that could change out the punches and hole sets for any caliber..

ooooh, if you could do that on a reloading press you would have everyone here lined up to buy them from you!

I know, just a dream, but it could happen!

Wayne Smith
07-17-2008, 07:20 AM
That's exactly what Pat Marlin is working on. Check the therad on in the Group Buy area.

DLCTEX
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Has anyone experimented with using LR primer cups to make 22 or 24 cal gas checks? It's on my to do list to try grinding a 7/32 drill bit down and tapered to open them up and see if I can crimp them on a boolit. DALE

S.B.
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Got my kit just this week for making my own out of pop cans, off fleebay? Too busy to try it but, will soon. Just wondering, are there any other materials available, cheap to make checks out of? Are pop cans all the right thickness or should I measure them to find what thickness?
Steve