PDA

View Full Version : If you could design your own casting furnace what features would you want?

minmax
04-26-2017, 04:32 AM
I've been thinking of making a new electric down pour furnace, just as a project. I'm just trying to come up with different or new ideas. I have an idea of how I want to make the plunger rod assembly. I have been saving parts from electrical items, I want to have a hot plate built into the top and a PID. Maybe wrap the pour nozzle with resistance wire to keep it from freezing up. Maybe a second larger valve spout for emptying the pot or making ingots. Just wanted to know what others would do.
No, I'm not going to add an espresso machine or a beer tap to it.

dragon813gt
04-26-2017, 09:35 AM
I want an 80# capacity and a nozzle that doesn't drip. I already have a PID and hot plate so they aren't needed. I just want more molten lead when casting.

runfiverun
04-26-2017, 09:55 AM
i''m happy with the Magma 40 lb pot.
I added a chunk of 1/2" thick steel as a lid and it will melt the next ingot to go in the pot if I let it sit up there too long.
I mostly use it to pre-heat the mold [or the next mold] as well as the next ingot.
it has a spring to put pressure on the operating rod, and a dual pour spout so I fill 2 cavity's at once [also the option of one spout or no spout by changing out the base piece]
and the spring allows you to control the pour rate.
it has an actual dial that can be set to temperature and the mass of the pot and lead keeps it there.
a PID might help it some [shrug] but I won't be finding out I'm fine with it how it is.

EDG
04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
I want to put a cap over the pot and run in argon or nitrogen or something that shields the top of the lead to stop oxidation of the metal.

As an alternate if I had a large automatic machine I would put the entire machine in a box that has been purged with argon to protect the molten alloy from oxidation.

Second would be to use the argon source to apply a low pressure to the alloy when pouring to force the metal into the molds similar to die casting.

I would like to experiment with automated equipment in a vacuum vessel. This would degas the alloy and protect the alloy from oxidation.

Tazza
04-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Interesting idea of using an inert gas to prevent oxidation, is that really a problem when pouring though? When in the pot and molten, yes, i see the issue, but once cast, i have never had issues.

Interesting ideas though, argon is fairly cheap and you wouldn't need much to keep the pot covered if you leave a lid on it and only open it to add ingots.

country gent
04-26-2017, 08:33 PM
What I would want to see in a custom pot.1) a larger capacity maybe 50-60 lbs. 2) an adjustable pour spout so flow could be easily regulated.. 3) a good friction free adjustable mould guide. 4) a pid controller

wv109323
04-26-2017, 10:06 PM
+1 on country gent. I would want the mold guide to be adjustable for height and mold width. Also you might as well build in a controllable element to preheat and maintain mold temperature. Make sure the top is open to flux your lead.

Cowboy_Dan
04-26-2017, 10:45 PM
How would this work? Two spouts with two handles, one set to lift the other. Pour one spout or two at will.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-26-2017, 11:21 PM
What EDG said, plus one!!

It would not take much pressure, and there would be no change as the pot level went down.

minmax
04-27-2017, 01:37 AM
Cowboy_Dan, I was thinking a 2nd spout, like an electronic powder measurer.
I don't have the ability to make an auto caster or a lot of custom parts. I do like the idea of a pressure pot. It seems like you would get perfect fill out and no voids.
You might run into venting problems. Would different alloys need different preasure?

jmorris
04-27-2017, 08:30 AM
When I made mine I went with a stainless needle for the valve and oraface plate that I can swap from I two two holes. 60 lbs capacity, might up that to 80 if I had a do over and I used a cheap oven element so replacing the heating element costs less than $20. I control heat with a PID and SSR.

The poor is connected to a time delay (off) relay via a 555 IC and 10 turn POT for fine tuning that once triggered has a solenoid pour lead for the preset time the same everytime.

I have a separate pot altogether for smelting vs my casting pot.

minmax
04-27-2017, 11:41 AM
J Morrison, I'don't really like to see some pictures of your set up. What type of solenoid did you use?
I take it your using 220v. I wonder how much lead a 800 watt 110v element can melt, maybe 40-50 lbs?

minmax
04-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Oh, and I want a stainless pot.

country gent
04-27-2017, 01:37 PM
The casting dies for die cast machines are sealed and closed under much more pressure than our bullet moulds are. When the shot tube on these machines cycle the mish metal goes in right now and is a much stronger casting due to the pressures. WIth the way our dies are set up a lot of added pressure might result in fine sprays of molten metal.

jmorris
04-29-2017, 08:25 AM
J Morrison, I'don't really like to see some pictures of your set up. What type of solenoid did you use?
I take it your using 220v. I wonder how much lead a 800 watt 110v element can melt, maybe 40-50 lbs?

i used a 3500 watt oven element 220 AC from Sears the solenoid is 12v DC from McMaster Carr.

800 watts would likely do it if you had insulation and enough time to wait.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/caster5.jpg

You can see the notch/weld remains and trunnions left over from when it was a smelting pot. I cute he spout off and cleaned it whe I converted it to bottom pour.

Its 3/8" wall pipe with a 1/4" bottom welded on. Two bolts hold it in place and minimize contact/heat transfer with the rest of the contraption. Oversized holes allow for adjustment.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/caster3.jpg

HeavyMetal
04-29-2017, 11:48 AM
What a neat thread!

But some ideas seem a little over the top for an "average" caster's needs no matter how cool they are.

So my thoughts on a casting pot are a little simpler:

Never had a pot rust out so while stainless is nice it isn't really needed, now for valves and such yes.

so what would I want in a custom pot?

Minimum 20 pound capacity in a dual pot system for starts, top pot to run continuous pre melt Bottom pot to cast out of, top pot being used to keep the bottom pot at the same basic level so lead flow and temp stays very stable.

Pid for both with separate controls, and replaceable stainless steel spout and valve system, with the option to change from single to double spout for those who think they need it.

The unit should be set up so the incoming voltage can be either 110 or 220 as the user has need of, sadly many homes have no 220 outlet so power needs should be versatile.

A stable base a must to prevent tip over and maybe a support strap so those of us in earthquake prone areas can anchor the set up securely.

Now a place to put molds to both pre heat and keep stable when casting will be needed and should be run near the bottom pot, some run two molds some more but Two seem to be all I can handle at one time, and Two six cavity lee's can create a pile of boolits in a hurry, if the lead supply is present and uninterrupted.

I currently have a a set up pretty close to what I've described and it works pretty darn good, I also know several others have set ups very similar to mine and they report much success with them.

ascast
04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
I would like to have an "add on" to my wood stove. I have an indoor wood furnace which has yet to be hooked up. This will be in the garage and plumbed in parallel with the oil furnace. I want a bottom pour.
I would like an electric or gas fired spout or tap so that the pot (40#'s min) would be in the stove and the casting done outside of stove without a cooled and plugged spout. I run the stove from October until now-ish. That's a lot of melted lead. I have done a lot of casting over wood and with practice the temp can be pretty easy to maintain stability. Perhaps something free standing on wheels that can be pushed up to plug the hole when the door is wide open.

minmax
04-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Ascast, I was trying to figure out a way to make a wood burning down pour setup.
It would be good for camping, hunting, apocalypse...

HeavyMetal, never heard of a pot rusting out either. I just want it to look nice after casting though.

Beagle333
04-30-2017, 08:48 PM
I would say 40#+ capacity, but mostly everything else like a Pro Melt.
Yep, I'd want a 40# Pro Melt.

'Not a necessity, but a heated spout wouldn't hurt, for when I'm casting in the winter. (I cast outdoors)

minmax
05-01-2017, 05:00 AM
I cast with the garage door open in winter (cracked). If the wind is just right. I notice a drop in temp on the PID. Lee 4/20. My Lyman mag 20 the spout freezes, even after rebuild with all new parts. Temp cranked to 800*

rondog
05-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Happy with my Lyman furnace and dipper. I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.

jmorris
05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.

In order to compute an amount of bullets, you need to know their weight. A 10 lb pot would hold enough lead for 140, 500 grain bullets. Twice as many 250 grain, four times as many 125 grain...

robg
05-05-2017, 03:00 PM
A hinged lid on the top and a wingnut on the rod so you can stop the drips without using a screwdriver to twiddle it .don't want to many bells and whistles as it only means more to break and more cost.

Drew P
05-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Double pot, top feeds the bottom and automatically keeps the bottom pot level approximately the same height and temp at all times.

Beau Cassidy
05-10-2017, 02:06 PM
4 spouts to fill a 4 cavity mold fast. Maybe two handles side by side with dual spouts for each handle.

NoAngel
05-10-2017, 05:31 PM
I'd like one with a phaser heating element, powered by a miniature dilithium warp drive engine. That way it would have enough power to melt the entire pot in just a few seconds.

Tazza
05-10-2017, 05:32 PM
That is, till scotty needs it for more warp power!

ascast
05-13-2017, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=minmax;4033803]Ascast, I was trying to figure out a way to make a wood burning down pour setup.
It would be good for camping, hunting, apocalypse...

I think that gas is the way to go. The burner would be easy to make: some copper tubing with holes in it. Have to experiment with it to fine tune. I hope Propane would be enough.

jmorris
05-20-2017, 10:31 AM
I think keeping all of your reloading gear and casting gear and components at home would be the way to go. I could haul a lot of loaded ammunition in a smaller space, with less weight and more resistant to exposure to the elements than a reloading and sizing press, molds, clean empty brass, bullets, primers and powder.

Even if we were talking muzzle loading you could do it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4P2UseRPY

But unless your as young as that fella, that position is going to get old real quick and I could still haul more bullets in less space than he can pack his mold, ladle, pan and sheet of lead into.

ProfGAB101
05-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Happy with my Lyman furnace and dipper. I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.

Move outside the DENVER Firearms Persecution Zone, buy a submachine gun and you will immediately Grok the importance of maximum lead processing and buying powder in 8lb ( or larger kegs).

But back on topic: Yes 80 or even 100lbs capacity and replaceable nozzles so you can configure for bullet molds, high volume molds like 50 cal and shotgun slugs or large ingot molds.

Maybe duel heater elements, one for the main, and one below the valve on the nozzle mount.

Eddie Southgate
05-22-2017, 06:02 PM
A tag on the front that says SEACO .

Eddie