PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch deforming boolit

slk
04-25-2017, 07:22 PM
I am sizing and lubing my 25-20. Casting from a Lyman 257420. Using top punch 420. The top punch is deforming the top of the boolit. Any ideas on what is happening?

Steve

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/hunter12407/25cal_zpsud51eoxl.jpg (http://s1211.photobucket.com/user/hunter12407/media/25cal_zpsud51eoxl.jpg.html)

rancher1913
04-25-2017, 08:14 PM
might need to post a before as well as the after, not seeing the damage unless that whole top being indented is it.

slk
04-25-2017, 08:44 PM
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/hunter12407/25cal2_zps0tefogzi.jpg (http://s1211.photobucket.com/user/hunter12407/media/25cal2_zps0tefogzi.jpg.html)

Steve

Leadmelter
04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Is it the right Top Punch or mismarked?
Put a dot of lube in and see if that takes up the space for a better fit.
Leadmelter
MI

slk
04-25-2017, 09:33 PM
According to MidwayUSA it is. It is listed in the add as the right one. It is engraved on the top 420. I can even make mark on top of the boolit by just putting the boolit by hand into the punch. Midway is sending me out another one, but I am not sure it will be any different. I did notice on the mold is says 257420AM. I have no idea what the AM is for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/427712/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-257420-25-caliber-258-diameter-65-grain-flat-nose-gas-check?cm_mmc=se_service-_-shippingconf-_-shippingconf-_-ProductShippedTodayLink

waco
04-25-2017, 09:53 PM
This is why I use flat top punches whenever possible.......
http://accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php

trapper9260
04-26-2017, 06:11 AM
This is why I use flat top punches whenever possible.......
http://accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php
I do the same also use a flat top punch when I have a flat top bullet.

rancher1913
04-26-2017, 10:03 AM
you can also make your own custom top punches with epoxy.

Tom W.
04-26-2017, 10:33 AM
I once bought a mold and top punch for a .45 Colt. The top punch deformed the boolits, and the boolits looked wrong. It turned out that the mold was miscut. It had the same profile as the mold for my .480 . RCBS wanted​ me to send the mold back and they would send me the properly cut mold. I refused, as I liked the wfn profile. They did pull a lot of molds due to a worn cherry. I somehow got the internal emails​ as they scratched their collective azzes.......

OS OK
04-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Could you be using a softer Pb blend, having them come out of the mould a little large and sizing down that much deforms the rounds?

I have had the proper top punch do the same thing when trying to cast too soft and too large of a diameter.

Jeffjmr
04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
I have this problem on most of my punches. There does not seem to be a lot of accuracy built into the nose shapes of the punches. Flat tops and one specialized pointy tipped conical punch are the only ones I have that fit properly. Haven't gone the custom route yet but certainly headed that way.

Jeff

slk
04-26-2017, 02:10 PM
I just miked them and they are .258 I am running them through a .258 sizing die. I am using wheel weights.

Steve

Walter Laich
04-26-2017, 03:46 PM
that might be the correct number but it sure isn't working.

You can clean the inside of the top punch with alcohol and rough it up with a bit of sandpaper, or not...
put a dab of epoxy in the 'cup' of the top punch
put a bullet in the die part and cover nose with plastic wrap
GENTLY lower the top punch down onto of the bullet
WALK AWAY AND LET EPOXY HARDEN (this can be the hardest step)
once cured do a bit of trimming to top punch--get rid of squeeze out
you have a custom top punch for that bullet shape

some folks will use hot glue in place of epoxy and they say they get good results

JeffG
04-26-2017, 04:15 PM
You can certainly chuck it in a drill and with a stone, burr or sand paper on a dowel reshape it at the inside edge where it contacts the bullet. I have needed to do that on a few. Also it seems like you might be applying an excessive amount of pressure, just a thought. I started becoming a little more cognizant of that when I started crushing 22 cal bullets either placing checks or lubing them.

slk
04-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Well the first one I ran through the sizing die there was a lot of pressure. The next 5 or so they went through normally but still deformed the top. The thing is I can remove the top punch and have it in my fingers and put a cast boolit into the cavity of the punch and with very little pushing or mating the two together it will start to cut the top of the boolit. I called Lyman today and sent them the pics. They said it was not suppose to do that, and they would send another top punch out for me to try. At least they are willing to help out, which I appreciate.

I like the idea about chucking it up in a drill press and more or less putting a chamfer on the inside edge. I will try that if the new one does not work.

Steve

Walter Laich
04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
you can also put a bit of lube on them before running them through the sizer.

also wonder how hard an alloy yours using. Mentioned above ^ by OS OK

Bama
04-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Another way is to use a drill. Cut a grove on one side of bullet nose at least a little longer than nose engagement of punch. chuck bullet in drill and coat with valve grinding compound. Clamp punch in vise and lightly start pressing bullet into punch. It may take several loading's with compound and a couple of bullets but when you finish it should be almost perfect fit.

jaysouth
04-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Another way is to use a drill. Cut a grove on one side of bullet nose at least a little longer than nose engagement of punch. chuck bullet in drill and coat with valve grinding compound. Clamp punch in vise and lightly start pressing bullet into punch. It may take several loading's with compound and a couple of bullets but when you finish it should be almost perfect fit.

Thanks, that should be a sicky somewhere.

MT Gianni
04-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Take a 1/4" bolt and cut it off flush for a .250 punch. Turn the threads off of it in a drill press with a file for the length it goes into your sizing die. make sure your cut was square and you have a flat top punch. If you want to go fancy file a spot for the allen screw to hit. For larger diameters leave the flats rounded at the diameter you want. A 30 cal can size up to.358", >358" up to .429" if you have a flat meplate.

slk
04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
I received the new punch from Midway, and it is not much better. They are just not forming the punches to fit their molded bollit. This is the first time I have ever had issues with a top punch. With all of that being said I am very close to having the first punch functioning. I had managed to taper the inside of the punch, and I am in the process of doing the valve grinding compound thing. It is starting to get really smooth. I think it may be ok. Now Lyman is sending me out a new top punch also. I sent them the pics and they said the one they send out should be right. We will see when it arrives.

Steve