PDA

View Full Version : 3rd casting session

Adam20
04-25-2017, 06:33 PM
I used coww for the first 2 session and it went fairly well no major issues, this time I added some tin and made 50 perfect bullets, dropped out of mold without shaking. Then the lee 20 lb started leaking bad. I have read about the fixes. Just wanted a thank you to all for the generous about of information to learn from would not of figured it out without this site.
adam

Walter Laich
04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Tin does help but it costs $$. I try to use the least necessary

On the Lee 20# pot: try adding weight behind the wooden screw-on knob. Or rig a way to put weight on the top of the valve stem. Added weight will keep the valve tight to the orifice

good luck

runfiverun
04-25-2017, 07:52 PM
usually just a twist of the rod will stop it.
but you can clamp some vise grips on the stem while your using it, that usually does the trick.

bangerjim
04-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Weighs on the stem is the trick. I have 2 20# bottom Lee's and have never had a leak in many years. It's all in the adjustment and "how u hold yer mouth!:..........HA,ha.

Sn is expenive but a god-send to us casters. Makes perfect boolits!

2% max!

Look for pewter in junk stores......not the the antique stufff......but modern pewter. Many find it. And some on their sell pewter ingots! Check S&S for some good sources.

A little Sn goes a long way.

banger

waco
04-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Or you can try an RCBS Pro Melt and never think of using a Lee pot again. Just my 2 cents. I had nothing but trouble with my Lee.

Adam20
04-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Or you can try an RCBS Pro Melt and never think of using a Lee pot again. Just my 2 cents. I had nothing but trouble with my Lee.

Rcbs discontinued pro melt
Waiting for pro melt 2 to come out, will have one.