PDA

View Full Version : Bullet performance

Hutzpah
07-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Firstly I'll like to say hello to every one here
I must say I've found reading the post here very interesting I've taken
some notes and as soon as I get time I will give this PP ago.

My question is if I can get my 6.5x55 shooting a 130gr PP bullet
over 2000fps made with air cooled wheel weights how do you think these bullets
perform on game?

I'm pretty new to casting for a rifle but manage to get them to 1750fps with 16gr
of A2400 grouping around two and a half inchers at 100yrs but I'm still want to break 2000fps.

Do you think I can get away with out drilling them or making soft tips out of pure lead with air cooled wheel weights ?

Any comments much appreciated

Hutzpah

bobk
07-15-2008, 06:36 AM
hutzpah,
First thought is, if you are using a PP bullet, then why not soften up your bullet alloy?. A bit simpler than the other two alternatives. FWIW, I did use the Forster hollowpointer on .357 bullets, and liked the results. I'd have to think that bullet shape is not going to be much help in getting good terminal performance in a 6.5 bullet.
Bob K

pdawg_shooter
07-15-2008, 08:29 AM
At 2000fps, with paper, you can use pure lead. A little tin, 2% or so makes the bullet fill better. I have taken this alloy up to 2200fps with now problems. WW is good for about 2600.

Hutzpah
07-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply bobk and pdawg shooter.
I think your both right softer seems the way to go.
I've cast up some air cooled wheel weights and all so some
pure lead.
I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Hutzpah

Baron von Trollwhack
07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I've shot a lot of PP bullets, from 303 to 50 cal. Shot a number of our whitetail with cast in 30-30 to 45 calibers, some PP. I got no better accuracy with PP or plain alloy bullets, or better deer kill differences either. In my earned opinion, it is where you shoot the animal, not whether your lead is patched.

But there is a lot of panache' with your cartridge carrier showing well done lead sticking out of paper wrappers in gleaming cases. BvT

Digital Dan
07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Panache', the breakfast of champions!:drinks:

Just an opinion and I base it on MY success with the laying low of critters with paper and lead. Soft is excellent. Paper keeps the lead out of the bore and puts in into the animal. I don't argue accuracy advantage with paper patch or grease groove bullets as I've seen fine results with both. It results from applied diligence and a thinking mind. The reason I prefer dead soft lead is its terminal performance. You probably won't find any moss growing on alloys with a pinch of tin but it isn't necessary. Soft lead expands easily and you might find your penetration suffers as the velocity increases. If'n I were patching a Swede I'd be looking to a 160 grain bullet at lower velocity...if you have the proper twist rate for such a torpedo. Otherwise, maybe don't worry too much about velocity as much as accuracy. As the Barron said, placement is like possession in a court of law..... 9/10ths of everything. Anyway, somewhere around 1600 fps or even less is very viable in smallish bores inside a hundred yards...or maybe a little more.