PDA

View Full Version : Like new Big Max

StratsMan
04-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Another estate find... only came with one shell holder adapter, and the accessories are missing. Otherwise it's next-to-new... Photos were taken as I pulled it from the box at home...In the last photo, it's all cleaned and re-lubed... This press sat in the box for so long, the grease was all dried out, and the ram was difficult to move. An hour later, all the old grease is gone, new grease applied, and it moves like new. The shell holder adapter looks like it's never been used. I love old single-stage presses...

193889 193890 193891 193892 193893

Epd230
04-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Nice find!

TNsailorman
04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
I can't imagine why RCBS created such a great press and then walked away from it. It shouldn't cost all that much more than a Rock Chucker II to manufacture and is a better press. Maybe they know something I don't. Great looking press and a rare find. Enjoy, james

LUBEDUDE
04-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Great score Strats! Especially with the box in such great shape as well.

jmort
04-24-2017, 10:56 AM
That is pristine
Good for you

Isaac
04-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Wow! What a find.

Well done.

Isaac

Iowa Fox
04-29-2017, 12:04 PM
That's a nice find.

shoot-n-lead
04-29-2017, 12:34 PM
I can't imagine why RCBS created such a great press and then walked away from it. It shouldn't cost all that much more than a Rock Chucker II to manufacture and is a better press. Maybe they know something I don't.

Bingo!

Most people reload for handguns and don't need that behemoth

Randy C
04-29-2017, 12:57 PM
I've wanted one for years, there over priced on line, I bought a walnut hill press instead, and looking for the barn find on one. Good score.

TNsailorman
04-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Tell me how a Rock Chucker is a better machine than a Big Max. I have a Rock Chucker and it is a fine press, but the Max will do things I not try on a RC. Like loading .50 cal., like swaging bullets, etc.. Both are bolted to the bench, so weight and size have little to do with making a difference. It is strength that separates them. There are a lot more shooters reloading pistol now than when I started out but they are still in the minority of press users. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp cases are dirt cheap for one reason. A lot of people shooting these calibers are buying factory because in the long run, it is cheaper and easier to buy than to purchase a lot of expensive reloading equipment and components. Now those shooting magnum and very large bore are more likely to reload than buy. They are looking for performance. Lee came out with the Cast series of presses because they are stronger than the earlier Lee presses. They needed to compete with RCBS, Redding, Hornady and even Lyman and they needed a heavier, stronger press to do it.

jmort
04-29-2017, 07:48 PM
The Big Max would cost a bundle if it were in current production. I am fortunate to have one.

shoot-n-lead
04-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Tell me how a Rock Chucker is a better machine than a Big Max. I have a Rock Chucker and it is a fine press, but the Max will do things I not try on a RC. Like loading .50 cal., like swaging bullets, etc.. Both are bolted to the bench, so weight and size have little to do with making a difference. It is strength that separates them. There are a lot more shooters reloading pistol now than when I started out but they are still in the minority of press users. 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp cases are dirt cheap for one reason. A lot of people shooting these calibers are buying factory because in the long run, it is cheaper and easier to buy than to purchase a lot of expensive reloading equipment and components. Now those shooting magnum and very large bore are more likely to reload than buy. They are looking for performance. Lee came out with the Cast series of presses because they are stronger than the earlier Lee presses. They needed to compete with RCBS, Redding, Hornady and even Lyman and they needed a heavier, stronger press to do it.

No way...there are more handgun reloaders using single stage presses than use any other press. There are plenty of guys using a single stage that only reload a couple of hundred rounds per year. Also, if there had been that many folks that needed the MAX...it would still be in production.

seagiant
05-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Hi,
Don't forget to go buy that LOTTO ticket!

Youngtimer
05-11-2017, 03:22 PM
I just read post 10 and have always wondered if the throat of a big max is high enough to size and seat 50 bmg bullets?????

StratsMan
05-14-2017, 06:46 PM
I don't load 50BMG, but I measured the throw of the ram at appx. 4.3 inches. 50BMG brass is about 3.9 inches, so there's enough throw... Don't know how much room there would be if you put a shellholder in there, though... I think I would remove the existing adapter. That black piece at the top of the ram screws in to the ram... get a custom part made that fit the 50, then you wouldn't need to snap in a shellholder... Interesting project, but I'm still not gonna shoot 50BMG...

195546 195547

OS OK
05-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Dave...how do you come up with so much cool eqpt.? Good for you Bud, such a strong press, accessible from the front, old school tough...what's better than this?

salpal48
05-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Just as a Point RCBS did not Create The BIG MAX.. The design was Created My Lachmiller Called the POWERHOUSE. It never went into Total Production. or only a Few were made. This can be seen In the early Handloader digest appox 1963-65.
In order for RCBS to Dominate The Industry, They Purchased Lachmiller and the rest reloading History

M-Tecs
05-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Just as a Point RCBS did not Create The BIG MAX.. The design was Created My Lachmiller Called the POWERHOUSE. It never went into Total Production. or only a Few were made. This can be seen In the early Handloader digest appox 1963-65.
In order for RCBS to Dominate The Industry, They Purchased Lachmiller and the rest reloading History

I did not know that. If someone has a pic posting it would be greatly appreciated.

salpal48
05-14-2017, 08:29 PM
I am Currently Unable to post a Photo . It is on page 17 Of the 1962 edition of the Handloaders Digest.

StratsMan
05-14-2017, 11:51 PM
Dave...how do you come up with so much cool eqpt.?

Clean livin'... And I haunt estate sales... Lots of people go looking for guns, but I go straight for the reloading stuff.... Got about 1,500 30 cal jacketed projectiles for $75 not too long ago... Sure helps keep shooting costs down...

54bore
05-16-2017, 07:29 AM
I don't remember these presses? I have owned a few RC's over the years, but never even seen one of these til now. AWESOME find!!

45-70 Chevroner
05-22-2017, 04:50 PM
I can't imagine why RCBS created such a great press and then walked away from it. It shouldn't cost all that much more than a Rock Chucker II to manufacture and is a better press. Maybe they know something I don't. Great looking press and a rare find. Enjoy, james

I think the reason they went to the Rockchucker was the manufactureing cost. The Rockchucker is a simpler design.

Idaho Sharpshooter
05-23-2017, 02:09 AM
My A4 would be the last press to leave my shop. At the estate sale, I mean.

There must have been some demand, mine has a plate on the top back. It reads RCBS Big Max, and the serial number is 097XX. I would buy two more if I could today.

Pressman
05-23-2017, 03:41 AM
I think the reason they went to the Rockchucker was the manufacturing cost. The Rockchucker is a simpler design.

The Rockchucker is a smaller, less costly version of the big A presses. It first came on the market in 1967. The Big Max, A-4, is a totaly seperate press, not related to the original A's. I will have to do some research but 1984 seems about right for the first year.
I just picked up one this morning in a sweetheart deal so I need to delve deeper into its history.
Ken

beanflip
05-23-2017, 11:37 AM
So is a Big Max A4 press for $225 shipped to me a good price?

Pressman
05-23-2017, 07:54 PM
I am not going to tell you what I paid for mine yesterday, but yes that is a very good price. eBay is $375-$425 range - plus shipping.

While I paid even less than you I had to drive 600 miles, take a day and a half and an extra night in a motel, see some truly wonderful countryside and travel new roads I have longed to see for many, many years. So I think I really got a deal.

Ken

Hardcast416taylor
05-23-2017, 09:11 PM
Clean livin'... And I haunt estate sales... Lots of people go looking for guns, but I go straight for the reloading stuff.... Got about 1,500 30 cal jacketed projectiles for $75 not too long ago... Sure helps keep shooting costs down...

Just so we all will feel slightly sick, what did this press cost? Nice find indeed. I haunt estate sales for pewter with very good finds ocassionly.Robert

StratsMan
05-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Just so we all will feel slightly sick, what did this press cost? Nice find indeed. I haunt estate sales for pewter with very good finds ocassionly.Robert

No need to feel sickly... The seller had scoped out eBay history to see prices on these presses, but didn't want to go that route... Cash in hand vs waiting for an auction, etc.... We settled at $250... More than I had hoped to pay, but you can't get a screamin' hot deal every time. This press is the first A4 I've ever seen, so I was happy to get it... I would have paid more...

I also got 2 Universal Stars from the same estate, and they were better deals. I left happy...