PDA

View Full Version : 50 Beowulf Taper Crimp Pulling bullets?

WilliamSS159
04-21-2017, 10:08 PM
I'm loading 383 grain cast HP NOE bullets for my Bewoulf, after seating when i go to crimp nothing seems to happen. I followed the instructions. turn down until contact then 1/2 turn. I turned it further and now i'm pulling bullets back out sometimes. But even at this depth i dont seem to be down far enough to contact the brass.. please advise. Thank you.

I would usually post on facebook but have been banned for listing a barrel for sell so i will press on here, please let me know if there is a better catagory to post this to. Thanks.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-22-2017, 01:35 AM
don't trust this , but if your bullet has to be that wide, you may have to modify the die and the part that crimps it so it will go over the boolit but not the shell. wait to see what the others say, good luck! Travis

jcren
04-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Does Lee make a fcd for it? Those don't care about bullet shape.

Tackleberry41
04-22-2017, 09:12 AM
May be the usual designed for jacketed bullets issue. It crimps a jacketed bullet fine, but a cast nose is big enough to jam in the die.

Greg S
04-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Since you gave no background, a few questions. What size are they dropping fom the mold, your alloy and bhn, what are you sizing them to are you using an M die and what is the size of a boolit that has been normally seated and then pulled?

I'm headed to the idea that the TC Die is set up for .501 dia bullets and the mold drops at .502 + alittle maybe. Size is everything and either the bullets are too fat or it is getting swaged in seating and swelling the tip which is getting stuck in the top of the die.

WilliamSS159
04-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Greg, They drop at 502 then PC then size to 501 and gas check. factory bullets are .500.. so you may be right on the issue. i'm not sure on the alloy or hardness at the moment. i'm following your line of thought but the brass lip is larger than that and you'd think they planned ahead there... any thoughts on how to crimp it otherwise.

Since you gave no background, a few questions. What size are they dropping fom the mold, your alloy and bhn, what are you sizing them to are you using an M die and what is the size of a boolit that has been normally seated and then pulled?

I'm headed to the idea that the TC Die is set up for .501 dia bullets and the mold drops at .502 + alittle maybe. Size is everything and either the bullets are too fat or it is getting swaged in seating and swelling the tip which is getting stuck in the top of the die.

WilliamSS159
04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Okay so i've pulled my barrel off the upper.
My bullets are not to long (used hornady OAL guage and home made case to find the lands)

Problem seems to be crimp for sure they're not falling free unless i crimp them and it pulls them then i reseat. once reseated it falls free. so the question is since i'm sizing at .501 already what do i do? should i contact lee to made a .500 sizer?

Greg S
04-22-2017, 01:18 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-335B-D.png

Still scratching my head. I know its alot of trouble but, I seen some threads on nose sizing and NOE makes a die. I wonder if nose sizing to .499/.500 would get you there. Have you pulled a bullet or two yet to see if they are getting sized down. I've got Redding dies and so far have only loaded jacketed myself. I just looked at some projos and I was mistaken bu the jacketed at all .500 and cast are .501. Another option would be sizing to .500 and give it a try.

I know Lloyd Small was casting an Accurate 50-334B I believe, it is the same mold I was looking at. The nose in front of the crimp is 500 and the body .502.

I think you are going to have to nose size or change molds because of the bullet design because the band in front of the crimp grove is .502. What type of TC Die are you running?

Oklahoma Rebel
04-22-2017, 02:47 PM
I would go with accurate, noe or another mold maker recommended by others here before paying top dollar for what will still be a cheap mold. I like lee molds and use them myself, mainly because its all I can afford. so I am ok with dealing with their idiosyncricys. but if I had a choice I would get a noe or accurate everytime!

IraqVet1982
04-22-2017, 04:28 PM
What brand dies are you using?

44man
04-23-2017, 08:33 AM
The boolit must fit through the seat die. Lap it out if needed. Pull the seat punch and a boolit must slip through. The die is made for jacketed.

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2017, 09:10 AM
if your using lee dies you could have a problem with them. My first set had to be exchanged for a new set.

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2017, 09:15 AM
yes I do greg. Just for info I have to seat that bullet real deep to get it to run in my beo.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-335B-D.png

Still scratching my head. I know its alot of trouble but, I seen some threads on nose sizing and NOE makes a die. I wonder if nose sizing to .499/.500 would get you there. Have you pulled a bullet or two yet to see if they are getting sized down. I've got Redding dies and so far have only loaded jacketed myself. I just looked at some projos and I was mistaken bu the jacketed at all .500 and cast are .501. Another option would be sizing to .500 and give it a try.

I know Lloyd Small was casting an Accurate 50-334B I believe, it is the same mold I was looking at. The nose in front of the crimp is 500 and the body .502.

I think you are going to have to nose size or change molds because of the bullet design because the band in front of the crimp grove is .502. What type of TC Die are you running?