PDA

View Full Version : Cart paper

OverMax
04-19-2017, 11:15 PM
I've gotten to dislike my so called Speed Loaders used to charge my 54 cal Hawken in a hurry. I'm kind's interested in trying a cart wrapped measured charge instead.

So~Where can I purchase KNO-3 soaked {cart paper} for use in my side lock please? ___ thanks,

Dryball
04-20-2017, 12:19 AM
You really don't need nitrated or flash paper, although it certainly doesn't hurt. I use rolling papers and lots and lots of people use hair-curler paper. If you want nitrated paper IIRC Buffalo Arms has it and tons of stuff on youtube. Best of luck

Maven
04-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Would coffee filters work for this purpose OM (easy to find, inexpensive)? Also, big box stores carry stump remover, which is mostly KNO3 and filter paper soaked in a [super]saturated solution of it burns rather quickly and completely. Just some food for thought....

OverMax
04-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Found 2-1/2" x 4" jumbo size curler paper._ 1000 sheets for 5 bucks on Amazon._ Not sure if the jumbo size curler is capable of wrapping a 90 grain charge of 2-FF without tearing. _Coffee filters may be the way to go on this project. _ (can cut to size & soak) Ignition is not a problem on such thicker filter paper as there is a Mag Spark Nipple mounted on my 54 cal.

Buffalo papers._ "No. I don't think so."_ Just a little bit too spendy of a purchase for this long retired feller. Although now I have to figure out the proper way of making (rolling) a Cart?

JohnCWF
04-22-2017, 04:27 PM
You could spend the whole weekend watching You Tube videos on paper cartridges. From simple ones used in Rev War muskets to complicated multi paper packages for the Civil War Enfileds and Springfields.

The simplest way to make a cartridge is to choose a wooden dowel approximately the size of your bore. Wrap the paper around the dowel. Use a glue stick to hold the paper cylinder together. Twist one end of the tube. Drop in the ball and powder. Twist the open end closed.

How are you going to account for the patch on the ball?

I've never seen anyone use nitrated paper in rifle cartridges - you might be a tend setter.

https://youtu.be/j-WQMEt_Ouk
https://youtu.be/4uqFTDYnzkA