PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 lube problem

Wilson
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I went with the suggestions that Jimlakeside gave and got the Lyman mold 147 grain 4 capacity (part # 2670637). I cast about 300 beautiful bullets this morning, but I'm having trouble keeping the lube out of the bevel base area. I've started high and progressively lowered the bullet to get the groove filled, but I always get lube in the bevel base. Is this just a fact of life or can I get this 450 adjusted to put the lube in the groove only?

Randall
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I have the same problem, I would like to know how also.

OLPDon
07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I have added a link on the problem with lube injecting the bevel. There were several posts, below is the link, it has several ideas.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29415&highlight=bevel+base+lube

Don

DLCTEX
07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I've never lubed bevel base boolits, but the styrofoam pad worked for me on some GC boolits that were getting lube on the bases. DALE

billyb
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I have lubed a lot of bevel base cast boolits in the 450, the bevel always gets lube on them, called lyman years ago about it, they said sorry that will always happen with bevel base.I used a paper towel to wipe the lube off as they come out of the 450. I solved the problem with a star. Bill

Wilson
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I tried to call Lyman today but they were closed. I checked the web site and found nothing. Thanks for responding. I've been looking at the Star but want to make sure I've got a steady lead supply before going for it. I appreciate you taking time to confirm my suspicions of the 450 with bevel base bullets.

fourarmed
07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
You can try plugging all but one pair of holes in the die, but the lube is probably coming in around the rod, too. To plug the holes, you can use lead shot (#6 is too small, try #4 or #2) or you can wrap a piece of shim stock or beverage can aluminum around the die and hold it with electrical tape. It might be possible to cut an O-ring groove at the top of the rod to prevent lube getting in there.

Cherokee
07-15-2008, 11:06 AM
There are a few bevel base bullets I cast that size well in my 4500 and have just a slight lub presence on the bevel. I ignore it, no problems in my loads.

oso
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Adjust depth so BB is not at a lube hole and keep reservoir pressure as low a possible. I only turn the ratchet with a bullet in the sizing die, and only as much as necessary.

SpaceGlocker
07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Try taking a larger caliber shell casing and punching out a round piece of styrofoam plate....the trick is to get it perfectly centered in the die....when you do it will grab around the base of the bevel and stay in the die..works like a charm and don't use a lot of pressure with the lube....a lot better than wiping each bullet!

Wilson
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm heading to the store to get Styrofoam plates or egg cartons. Thanks for the tip on how to cut the plate with a spent shell casing.

jahela
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I machined new punches for the dies which have the negative profile of the bevel.
Seals perfectly.

Wilson
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Custom machined bottom punches. Now that's cool. Do you do this for the general population or is it strictly s personal thing.

jahela
07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Wilson,

short after my posting I got a PM if I would sell such "bottom punches" how you call them.
No I don't and I sent him the following answer:

I think the shipping from germany would be too complex. :roll:
But it's quite easy for a man with a lathe: Make a punch with the same length and diameter than the original.
Drill a small hole in one end, about 4 mm diam. and 4mm deep, this is only for a better working in the next step.
From this hole cut to the outside with the depth and the angle of the bevel. Stop when the seam is sharp.
That's all.

Yes, that's all.
Makes me a little proud to tell this High-Class-Community something new (what I really can't believe...) :drinks:

Dirk