PDA

View Full Version : Do you cut your own hair?

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Artful created a thread over in The Pit about a person who shot a barber because the barber would not cut his hair for $2.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?332748-Barber-shot-over-dispute-of-price-for-a-haircut

And that kind of got me wondering... I got used to a crew cut in the Navy and I've been cutting my own hair since probably a year or so after I enlisted, so it's been a pretty long time. There might have been a couple of times over the decades since then that I actually spent a couple of dollars at a barber shop to get it done, but those would be fairly rare -- like when I'm overseas for a long period of time.

So, just from a statistical curiosity's sake, do you cut your own hair or do you go to a barber?

DerekP Houston
04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I go to a quick cut place once a month or two. Usually SuperCuts or Fantastic Sams or whatever isn't busy at the time. My wife tried cutting my hair once but vowed never again after we visited the barber to fix the damage ;).

Geezer in NH
04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Wife or son cuts mine. It's not long 1/8 inch or so. been that way for decades.

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Wife or son cuts mine. It's not long 1/8 inch or so. been that way for decades.

Yeah, when I was in the Navy, I had a 1/2" crew cut... These days, it's probably 1/8"-1/4" when I cut it and then I start feeling shaggy when it gets to around the 1/2" to 3/4" length. :) Quite the difference from what it was *before* I went in the Navy. :) I suspect that I *could* have been accused of being a "long haired hippy" except for the fact that I didn't smoke dope and I had good personal hygiene habits. :)

Make sure that ya'll vote in the poll so that we can collect the statistics on this...

Bo1
04-18-2017, 01:53 PM
I have cut my own for the past 10 or 15 years... Clippers with no guard on them equals less than a sixteenth of an inch... Occasionally I will "accidently" hit the eyebrows and beard at the same time... :) I can no longer stand my hair getting over a quarter inch long...

Bo

OS OK
04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Yep!
Haven't darkened the doorstep of a barber shop in a long time...especially this last decade where the only barber within 20 miles is a woman who cuts it and then asks..."which side do you part it on?"
I always thought they would notice that before getting started...well, maybe that's just me. I pay attention to how I disassemble things before I need to put them back together.

Finster101
04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't prune dead trees.

toallmy
04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't cut my own , but have not had a store bought hair cut since the mid 80s and I still want my money back .

dragon813gt
04-18-2017, 02:03 PM
I used to get my hair cut every two weeks from age 16 to 28. Never in the military but high and tight was how I liked it. The lady who used to cut it knew to cut a proper fade as well.

But I've been cutting my own hair, sort of, for the past ten years. There was a point where I went over 2,200 days w/out cutting it. The pony tail was at my butt. Now I cut it every few months. Pull it back in a pony tail. Grip it w/ my fist and cut below the hand. The wife does this for me but I can do it myself if need be.

Part of the reason for this was I sat down and did the math. I figured out how many days of my life I would waste if I continued to get it cut every two weeks. I did the math on shaving as well. Five minutes a day, every day, over the course of decades adds up to weeks wasted. I have better things to do.

Texas by God
04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
If my scalp hair grew like my eyebrows I'd be in shampoo commercials.
I'm in the 1/8" club.

Sweetpea
04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I used to install central vacuums for a living.

When I built this house, I installed the vacuum powered dustpans under the bathroom sinks.

I cut my hair, have the wife trim my neck, and then hop in the shower.

While in the shower, she will sweep the floor and put the rug back.

matrixcs
04-18-2017, 02:10 PM
I cut my own. Last time my wife noticed was... Can't remember that far back.
Can't complain about the price.

Morgan61
04-18-2017, 02:11 PM
I just run an electric clipper over my head and call it good.
Can get it done in less time than it takes to drive to the barber.

gtrpickr
04-18-2017, 02:12 PM
I bought a set of Wahl clippers back in the 90's and been cutting my own hair ever since. I have even got my son into cutting his too. Maybe once a year ill go and pay to get it cut if I dont feel like messing with it.

Snow ninja
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
I've cut mine since my first year of marriage when the money for a haircut could go much better for something else, like food...
Have always cut my son's hair and he's 14 now. He's never even set foot in a barbershop. I ask him every once in a while if he'd like to go, but he just says "no, I like the way you do it "

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Part of the reason for this was I sat down and did the math. I figured out how many days of my life I would waste if I continued to get it cut every two weeks. I did the math on shaving as well. Five minutes a day, every day, over the course of decades adds up to weeks wasted. I have better things to do.

I've never been one for shaving -- either my face or my head. Back when I was in the Navy, we could have beards. Keeping the head and face shaved definitely wastes a lot of time. You have to do it ever day to look right. Trimming everything at 1/8-1/4" and then not trimming it again until it feels irritating saves a LOT of time (and money) though. And at that length, your shampoo lasts a LOT longer. :)

farmerjim
04-18-2017, 02:24 PM
1/8 inch guard on clipper all over. Mirror to trim beard.Wife does my neck without guard.

EMC45
04-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Got a pair of Wahl "Home Cuts" clippers in the mid 90s when I was USN. They went on my deployments with me. I cut my hair about once a week. No guard, blade adjusted all the way out. A Zero+ I guess you could call it. Cut my buddies hair as well- Slick sides faded to half inch on top. Usually cost them a pack of Marlboro's. I also used to cut my brother's hair when I was still living in GA. Had to rebuild my clippers a few times. Keep them oiled up and they are good to go. Wife bought me a new pair recently. Gonna start them in the rotation. I started paying for haircuts when I joined the USAF. That only lasted for a little while. I dusted off the Wahl's and got busy. Now I am back to no guard clipper close and shaving the whole head. I do cut my 2 son's hair as well. 1/8 guard on sides faded to 1 1/2 inch top. Saving money baby!

MostlyLeverGuns
04-18-2017, 02:45 PM
No choice for wife or family member? Wife has been cutting my hair since she commented on bad haircut from one of those discount chains.

sukivel
04-18-2017, 02:46 PM
I just run an electric clipper over my head and call it good.
Can get it done in less time than it takes to drive to the barber.

Yep... I do this to what's left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
04-18-2017, 02:47 PM
And at that length, your shampoo lasts a LOT longer. :)

It's not the shampoo that goes quickly. It's the conditioner. I miss being able to use all in one shampoo and conditioner. Regardless the little bit of extra time it takes to brush my hair is less time than getting a haircut.

John Allen
04-18-2017, 02:53 PM
My wife thinks I am crazy but I have been cutting my own hair for years.

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 03:10 PM
It's not the shampoo that goes quickly. It's the conditioner. I miss being able to use all in one shampoo and conditioner. Regardless the little bit of extra time it takes to brush my hair is less time than getting a haircut.

Well, when you cut it short, brushing it doesn't change anything. It's going to lay whichever way it grows. :)

And when it's short, you don't have to worry about having "helmet head" after you take your helmet off when riding a motorcycle.

Or the wind "messing up" your hair. :)

I figure that at the very least, it would take me at least an hour to drive to the local barber shop, get a cut, and get back home. And that would only happen if there was no one else there. Probably two hours would be a more realistic trip, but if it took this long, I would probably combine the trip with something else that needed doing. Whereas when I do it myself, I just mow the head before I grab a shower -- doesn't really take up much time. I'm too old to worry about trying to look "good", I just settle for "clean and not so shaggy". I kind of prefer it when I'm not mistaken for a homeless bum -- especially by my wife. :)

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 03:11 PM
My wife thinks I am crazy but I have been cutting my own hair for years.

Those might be two separate, completely independent issues... :)

RU shooter
04-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Yep member of the clipper club here too! Keeps getting easier the bigger the bald spot on my crown gets I have my girlfriend trim up the back of my neck though

jmort
04-18-2017, 03:41 PM
"I cut my hair, have the wife trim my neck, and then hop in the shower.

While in the shower, she will sweep the floor and put the rug back."

Same here except she insists on trimming my beard which I think is fine as is

dverna
04-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Cutting everything to a 1/4" or less is not a haircut. If that was all I wanted, I would never walk into a barber shop either.

Anyway, every 3-4 weeks is all I do. $10.50 plus $4.50 tip. "Waste" about $200/year.

MyFlatline
04-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Yep, I use the Oster dog clippers with a 3/8 blade, If I'm lucky, the wife tells me if I missed a patch...

Omega
04-18-2017, 04:12 PM
After 21 years in the army and having to cut my hair often, and even in places with no barbershops, I started cutting my own hair and that of anyone who came by and seen me doing it. Today, I still do it out of habit, just did it this weekend as a matter of fact.

abunaitoo
04-18-2017, 05:13 PM
I've cut my own hair for years.
Use a thing called "Robo Cut"
It's kind of like a "Flowbee", but it has a round cutter instead of a flat one.
Hooks up to my shop vac, so no mess to clean up.

Grits
04-18-2017, 05:37 PM
I just.mow the crop. I start on top with an electric razor. My head has been shaved the last 4 years.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Mytmousemalibu
04-18-2017, 05:44 PM
I shave/completely bald. No real amount of hair kept. I started to really lose a lot in my early 20's and got sick of male pattern baldness so one day years ago, i took a razor to it and haven't looked back. I shave once a week or sooner for special occasions, prior to whatever occasion is forthcoming. Instead of dealing with MPB and it taking its course, I said the hell with that! I still won that battle! Kinda......

I used to be depressed i was going bald.....

Now i wished whats left would bugger off! Grows like weeds. They need to come up with with a kind of Nair that is scalp safe.

jrayborn
04-18-2017, 06:26 PM
I use a battery powered beard trimmer with no guard every Sunday. More than about 1/8 inch on top drives me nuts. One thing the Marine Corp left me with forever.

daniel lawecki
04-18-2017, 06:31 PM
A hair cut and straight razor with extras $40.00 dollars.

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 06:32 PM
I knew a guy once that shaved his head. He didn't shave for a few days and realized that he was going bald and got all bummed out about it for some reason.

???

runfiverun
04-18-2017, 07:46 PM
ain't cut my hair in 15 years or so.
the chicks like it long.

Skunk1
04-18-2017, 07:53 PM
What's left of it. Wife use to cut it but now it's all on my daughter. She does a good job but it's hard to mess up a fuzz cut.

oneofsix
04-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Member of the clipper club too, even took clippers when I worked in the road so I wouldn't have to go pay someone else to- but there were occasions when I would go the a retail joint and have them cut it.
Now, just my clippers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Traffer
04-18-2017, 07:56 PM
The last time I got a hair cut other than from myself, it was for a friends wedding. His kids have graduated from College now. I think it was 1991. I just sit at my desk and pull out a scissors and start cutting. No mirror. I just pull on it to feel the length. When it all feels the same length I'm done.

Traffer
04-18-2017, 07:58 PM
You mean that your hair is 15 yrs old without a haircut? It must be down to your waist. We need pictures.
ain't cut my hair in 15 years or so.
the chicks like it long.

Sam Casey
04-18-2017, 08:24 PM
I am blessed with thick head of hair and have been enjoying a full service haircut for more years than I care to share. Look forward to it. Barber works with mostly hand scissors, electric clippers on neck and finishes with hot lather, straight razor and vacuum. Head, eyebrows, ears ... The works. Takes about a half hour and get caught up on all the "downtown news" in process.

DougGuy
04-18-2017, 08:34 PM
I had long hair ever since I was a teen, my dad hated it, waited until I had the engine out of my car in the back yard and covered head to toe in greasy clothes and he decides he will lock me out of the house until I get a haircut.

Needless to say, I finished putting the motor back together, chunked it in the car and left. That was the end of that. The year was 1971 or maybe 1972.

Got it cut in 2004, kept it sorta short for 10yrs, then when I was recovering from cancer I had to take stock of a lot of things and one of the things I asked myself, was what was I missing? Were there things I would like to have back or like to do, and I missed having long hair so now it hasn't been cut in 3+yrs, I am 64 now and it is gray and silver but it don't look bad for a guy my age so I am happy with it.

So to answer the poll question, no I don't cut my own hair and neither does anyone else!

KenH
04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
You really need another option there, wife cuts hair. Been that way thru 3 wives (yea, I must be hard to get along with, first two left). I've paid to have hair cut very few times in my life. Growing up, Mom cut all of our hair. Couldn't see spending money on haircuts, even for sister.

Ken H>

Iowa Fox
04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Grandpa cut me and my brothers hair when we were kids on the farm. Left for 2 years of the Army so it was barber hair cuts for two years. Got home got married right away and the wife has cut it ever since, couple more months and it will be 48 years of her cutting it. She cut all the kids hair until they left home for college. Haven't had many hair cuts by a barber in my life.

rl69
04-18-2017, 08:48 PM
I haven't paid for a haircut sense the early 80's. the wife has been cuting mine twice a year for the past 28 years whether I need it or not

GhostHawk
04-18-2017, 08:49 PM
We bought a flowbee some 18 years back. Have 2 now, good to have a spare.

I would never go back to someone else doing my hair.

The flowbee hooks up to the vacumn, sucks the hair up inside of a plastic box. Several different length boxes come with it. Set to to length you want. Above the box is a sized down sickle mower essentially. Uses a power adapter to power it.

For less than a years worth of hair cuts we have been free of paying for that little chore for 18 years. I'll never go back.

You can do it yourself if you have shorter hair but it is easier to have someone help.
I do trim her back up with a set of clippers. I can't stand clippers back there so I make her use a sharp set of scissors. 20 minutes, 2 hair cuts, then off to the shower together for some tickle slap and snuggle time. Life is good.

bedbugbilly
04-18-2017, 08:53 PM
When my wife and I got married, my folks gave us a Sears "barber kit" for Christmas so she could cut my hair - we were both in college and even though I was working two jobs and going to school, money was tight in those days. She read the instructions, broke out the electric trimmer and went at it - that was the one and only haircut she has given me! She was hesitant to do it in the first place and told me to go to a barber from then as she had no ability to cut it. I've had a full beard since 1975 and I used to trim it with the barber clippers and looking in the mirror. For years now, I've gone to a lady who cuts it. I used to take my mother to her beauty shop and just got in the habit of getting my hair cut while there about every two to three weeks. She's like a sister to me so I not only get a great haircut but a half hour of good conversation to go along with it!

flounderman
04-18-2017, 09:32 PM
my mother cut hair for a lot of relatives and I cut 3 boys hair, and my own for a lot of years.

NavyVet1959
04-18-2017, 10:14 PM
You really need another option there, wife cuts hair. Been that way thru 3 wives (yea, I must be hard to get along with, first two left). I've paid to have hair cut very few times in my life. Growing up, Mom cut all of our hair. Couldn't see spending money on haircuts, even for sister.

Ken H>

I've looked, but I can't figure out how to do it.

If I could, I would add another option:

"Cut by family member (wife, kids, etc) / good friend who is not a professional barber"

SciFiJim
04-18-2017, 10:43 PM
1/8 inch guard on clipper all over. Mirror to trim beard.Wife does my neck without guard.

That's exactly my process, except I use a 3/8s guard. My hair is thin enough that it helps keep my scalp from sunburning.

I also use Sweetpea's method and jump into the shower immediately after.

smoked turkey
04-18-2017, 10:45 PM
I am another one who has it "mowed" with the 1/8th" guard in place on the old Wahl clipper. My wife does it and has for years. I confess there is not much to cut, so it is pretty easy and quick. When we first started doing it my wife said she didn't want to mess it up. I told her it was just like mowing the yard. She seemed to get it when put that way. Sure is convenient for us too.

Walkingwolf
04-18-2017, 11:08 PM
I don't need no stinking haircut...

reloader28
04-18-2017, 11:38 PM
I buzz my whiskers and hair every week with no guard. I guess that would be 0-1/8"

Greg S
04-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Every one to two days when I'm shaving. I might let it go long for a month or two when I'm not working but as soon as I go back to work (sand blasting and coating steel) it's Mr Clean time. Nothing worse that sand dust and sweat in your hair. Easier to clean up at lunch and end of the day before I go home as Mr Clean.

MT Gianni
04-18-2017, 11:58 PM
I cut my own hair once and my wife said "Let me see those". She has done it every 2 weeks for the last 15+ years.

Bzcraig
04-19-2017, 12:36 AM
If shaving is the same........Yup, I do my own.

RogerDat
04-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Being married to a woman who was a licensed hairdresser for many years I needed a third poll option. Don't do it myself and don't pay for it.... or do I pay for it? Going with don't pay.

I figured out how I wanted to have my hair cut and mustache trimmed (or not) a long time ago. Wife wants to be creative, so I tend to get hair cut and trim the same way Clint Eastwood did in High Plains Drifter. Ready for any "issues" that come up during the hair cut.

Spooksar
04-19-2017, 12:48 AM
Living in the north for 15 years I get my hair cut once a year in the spring. Natures insulation, used to laugh at people with short hair and shaved spending lots of money keeping their head warm. Long hair and beard at 45 below keeps me warm

Mytmousemalibu
04-19-2017, 01:43 AM
For you guys that are chrome dome's like myself, there's a few products I have come to love for maintaining the airspace up there.

Headblade: Its simply a melding of razor and Hot Wheels to make a great vehicle for the job! The cartridges are a little pricey but they last a good while. Use a good shave soap.

(This is the only cartridge product I use, I got tired of stupid prices and multi-blade abortions of a "razor" so all that is gone with the wind years ago. I solely use vintage and luxury grade old school Double Edge razors and a straight edge once in a while in combination with some high quality shave soaps, silver tip badger hair brush, etc. I love it, never turning back)

I also recommend products from Bee Bald. Their head scrub is really nice and I love their refresh wipes!

Col4570
04-19-2017, 02:14 AM
When it gets out of hand I nip down to the barbers just to tame it.Noticed lately the rain hits the middle bit harder than I would like.I suppose at 80 I am lucky to have any at all :???:

corbinace
04-19-2017, 03:39 AM
Mom cut it as a kid.
Wife learned to cut it for me while I served in the Corps.
After she traded me in for a different model, I learned to cut my own.

Mow it all down with the 1/4" and then taper it up free hand. Although, I almost always have my wife check to make sure I did not miss anything or mess it up in the back. Yeah, there have been a few extreme tapers to fix gouges.

olafhardt
04-19-2017, 03:47 AM
I have a little that gets cut. The rest I just polish.

slownsteady22
04-19-2017, 03:47 AM
1/4 on top, fade the rest. Do this every 4 or 5 days. I too have the misses check for patches when I'm done, but I have to sweep up my own hair.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Biggin
04-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Razor on top occasionally hit the other end with scissors.

mold maker
04-19-2017, 09:28 AM
My Granddad was a barber and taught Dad to cut his after hours. I'd go with Dad and we would trade cuts. My Son resisted the urge and always wore it long as a rebellion. Now my Daughter cuts mine and my Grandsons.
Mine used to be extra thick and would sour during a Summer day, but the years have changed that.

RobS
04-19-2017, 09:34 AM
I cut mine, wife and the kids. Saves a ton of money I assume.........money that is better spent on things such as primers, powder, molds etc. :)

Murphy
04-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Most guys hate it when they start getting grey hair. I usually tell them I'll trade em' 3 quitters for 5 grey. Mine started deserting me in the back and migrated forward. What I disliked most, was the few stragglers than hung on at the top. They looked like weeds growing in a sand lot, I didn't care for that and it's hard trying to 'clean up the lot' by yourself. Even though the wife didn't mind helping.

I had started having it cut to the 1/8th length every 2 weeks. Then went lower, until finally one day I said to heck with it. I shaved it and continue to. Sure, it can be a bit of a hassle at first. But I also looked at the savings I was making doing it myself. I'm not a cheap'o (not there is anything wrong with that), but it dawned on me I'm probably saving myself a few hundred bucks a year doing it myself.

Murphy

Walkingwolf
04-19-2017, 09:50 AM
When it gets out of hand I nip down to the barbers just to tame it.Noticed lately the rain hits the middle bit harder than I would like.I suppose at 80 I am lucky to have any at all :???:

I'm 62, and mine is starting to thin, getting shorter too. At one time my hair reached my lower back, now it keeps getting closer, and closer to my shoulders. But on the upside I now have hair growing in my ears.

slide
04-19-2017, 09:56 AM
I pay a lady to cut mine. Twice a month. Used to I had to have it cut once a week.

runfiverun
04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
You mean that your hair is 15 yrs old without a haircut? It must be down to your waist. We need pictures.

it ain't quite that long.
the split ends or whatever keeps it about 1/3 the way down my back.
last time I cut it I went with a number-4 in April, by Christmas it was back where it was originally and I gave up.
it has just pretty much hung out at that length ever since.

opos
04-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Going to be 80 in a couple of months...one of those with full head of hair...no bald spots...very little grey and don't "touch it up"...love the comments about folks thinking I'm part of the Hair Club for men or that I use "Grecian Formula"....Now my 59 year old son is "folically challenged" and has no worry except for shaving his head about once a week....

I go to a real "old time" men's barber shop...model cars and model airplanes on the walls and ceilings...Sports on TV...no appointments...haircut is $15 and no fru fru stink after....Jokes are off color...pool table in the back of the room...no women barbers...kind of refreshing and the men that seem to go there to get their haircuts are all older guys...see very few millennials as they don't cut hair the right way for their "look".

One of the few joys

375supermag
04-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi...
I have very thick hair which I passed to all three of my children.

My dear departed first wife cut my hair for years to save money.

Ever since, I have paid to get my hair cut and beard trimmed. Tried trimming my beard myself on New Years Day 1990, that was an error. Had to shave it all off because I did such a bad job. I had a beard for so long my own mother didn't recognize me.

I tried trimming it again in the early 2000s, screwed it up again. Haven't tried since.

Lady that cuts my hair is a family friend who does it as a vocation, she cuts and styles hair for everyone in my family. I get a hair cut and beard trim every 4 weeks. Costs about $13, I give her a $20 bill($7 tip).

I just had my first haircut and beard trim since last spring about a week ago. I had lost my hair and beard due to chemotherapy treatments and it hadn't started to re-grow until early January. It is growing slowly but even thicker than it was originally if that is even possible, also a bit more grey. Beard seems thicker also and definitely more gray.

Having been completely bald for the best part of the previous year, I am quite content to pay for haircuts again.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
No disrespect to Barbers, as I have one friend that is a CB member that is a barber, in Texas I believe?
BUT, I have never had a haircut by a Barber, that I was happy with. I Mom always cut my hair, til I moved out of my parents house when I was 20, afterwhich I tried all kinds of barbers and hair stylists, and was never happy. So, whenever possible, I would time a visit with my Mom for a haircut...til 1997, I bought a Flowbee...I have cut my own hair, with the flowbee, ever since...I suspect my Mom was as happy with my purchase, as I was.

PS, I even dated a hairstylist for some time, when I first moved to Glencoe...She was the worse hair cutter of them all...more of a butcher.

==========
PSS, I've always kept my hair short, but not a crewcut...the beard varies...this photo was taken last fall, while cutting up a Ash tree and a neighbor/friend's yard.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Steves%20tree%20chain%20saw%20I_zpss9jwabim.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Steves%20tree%20chain%20saw%20I_zpss9jwabim.jpg.ht ml)

bubba.50
04-19-2017, 11:56 AM
the 'Hair?' choice don't really fit but, neither do the other two choices. look at my avatar & it's obvious I haven't shaved in years but, I used to put the 3/4 inch comb on the clippers & go over my head about every three or four months. then the she-griz got complainin' it was too short. I said it always grows back. she said it's still too short. I said it's either this or I let it go. that was about 5 or 6 years ago. now I got kind of a Leon Russell/ZZTop/Duck Dynasty/Geico Caveman thing goin' on.

NavyVet1959
04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
PSS, I've always kept my hair short, but not a crewcut...the beard varies...this photo was taken last fall, while cutting up a Ash tree and a neighbor/friend's yard.

Your tree cutting technique is a bit "different". Most people I know do not put the tree in their lap when they are cutting it with a chain saw. :)

Walkingwolf
04-19-2017, 12:38 PM
it ain't quite that long.
the split ends or whatever keeps it about 1/3 the way down my back.
last time I cut it I went with a number-4 in April, by Christmas it was back where it was originally and I gave up.
it has just pretty much hung out at that length ever since.

Last time mine was cut was 2000, had an old court case I had to testify. Hasn't been cut since, except the wife messed it up once thinking she could even it. She ended up cutting about 4 inches off. Now it is getting shorter, still to the middle of my back though. When in my 50's I used to get a lot of female attention. Now I only get it at Christmas time.

RogerDat
04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Your tree cutting technique is a bit "different". Most people I know do not put the tree in their lap when they are cutting it with a chain saw. :) Yeah I noticed that too. At first thought he was going to say he used the chainsaw to cut hair or trim beard, then I got to wondering about exactly what safety equipment would make a fellow feel comfortable using a chain saw on their lap. First thought was not gonna be comfortable no matter what. Then I thought maybe this was right after a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

NavyVet1959
04-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Last time mine was cut was 2000, had an old court case I had to testify. Hasn't been cut since, except the wife messed it up once thinking she could even it. She ended up cutting about 4 inches off. Now it is getting shorter, still to the middle of my back though. When in my 50's I used to get a lot of female attention. Now I only get it at Christmas time.

I was in Taiwan for a month back in Nov-Dec 2015 and did not take my electric clippers with me. I mowed it down to a burr before leaving and thought it would last me for the month I was going to be there. Well, it was getting pretty shaggy and white by middle of December and as I was traveling around Taipei and some of the other areas, I would have young kids pointing at me and telling their mothers -- "Look, mom... Santa!!!"

Josh Smith
04-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Electric trimmer and double edged safety razor for the head.

Straight blade for the face.

Hair gets in the way of activities, makes me too hot, beard makes me too itchy. My wife says I shouldn't shave my head because I have a funny looking skull. I tell her that I'm married so I don't care.

Regards,

Josh

KenH
04-19-2017, 02:12 PM
==========

Now that's a tree! Those cuts look large enough for a nice table!

Ken H>

NavyVet1959
04-19-2017, 02:45 PM
With the talking about how much time was saved, I was curious, so since I was feeling a bit shaggy, I decided to time it to see how long it took me to mow my head, face, and neck. This is without the benefit of having someone who can look over to see if anything was missed or do the back, so every part of the skull if probably gone over a few times, just to make sure.

Total elapsed time: 7 minutes 4 seconds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Yeah I noticed that too. At first thought he was going to say he used the chainsaw to cut hair or trim beard, then I got to wondering about exactly what safety equipment would make a fellow feel comfortable using a chain saw on their lap. First thought was not gonna be comfortable no matter what. Then I thought maybe this was right after a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.
I get a little carried away when the camera comes out :p

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Now that's a tree! Those cuts look large enough for a nice table!

Ken H>
I handle everything without machines, so when I cut large logs, like that Ash, I cut 'em about 12" long, so I can move it around, onto a trailer, or onto the wood splitter by hand...and is still long enough to stack the pieces (with other firewood that's 18") once they are split, but I prefer a log to be about 18" for my stove.

dragon813gt
04-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Total elapsed time: 7 minutes 4 seconds.

Now do the math for how often you cut it and how many years you've been doing it. Small amounts of time over years adds up to large numbers. None will be as large as literally sleeping your life away. But the numbers are still large. I made the mistake of figuring out how many months of my life I wasted driving to and from work unpaid. I'm in my late thirties and I will never work another job where I'm not paid for all my time away from home [emoji2]

AZBronco
04-19-2017, 06:42 PM
1978 through 2017, girl friend/wife , has done my sons and my hair.....well, the son has been out of the home for 16yr. now. so just me these days.

LaPoint
04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
As a child my dad used to cut my hair. Now I cut his. He's 84 yrs old. My wife has cut mine for about 25 of the 27+ years we've been married. I'm follically challenged so mine gets trimmed to about 1/8". I'm not going to pay $10-$15 for a bad haircut from a "stylist".

tygar
04-19-2017, 08:51 PM
My wife has been cutting my hair (high & tight) since I got out of boot camp in 1965. Saved a lot of $ from 65-93 & even more after I retired. Of course now (& for quite a while) it's more just a trim around the sides,

Beagle333
04-20-2017, 10:26 AM
I pay for mine. 'Had the same girl for years now doing it.
$10, about every 10 weeks.

bubba.50
04-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Now do the math for how often you cut it and how many years you've been doing it. Small amounts of time over years adds up to large numbers. None will be as large as literally sleeping your life away. But the numbers are still large. I made the mistake of figuring out how many months of my life I wasted driving to and from work unpaid. I'm in my late thirties and I will never work another job where I'm not paid for all my time away from home [emoji2]

this reminds me of a story about an old Japanese guy who came to visit his son in America. son was takin' him to show dad where he worked. "let's cut across this lot, we'll save X amount of minutes", "let's cut up this alley, we'll save X amount of minutes." and on like this for several more "time savin's" on the way. dad didn't say anything, just looked at all the sights along the way. when they got to son's office dad says "so tell me my son, what will we do with all this time we saved?"

marlin39a
04-20-2017, 10:48 AM
The girlfriend puts the #2 guide on the Wahl, and gives me a buzz cut every 3 weeks. It would be cheaper to go to a barber, as I end up taking her out to dinner.

DoubleAdobe
04-20-2017, 05:02 PM
The girlfriend puts the #2 guide on the Wahl, and gives me a buzz cut every 3 weeks. It would be cheaper to go to a barber, as I end up taking her out to dinner.

My favorite answer. Good for you, brother.

johnson1942
04-20-2017, 06:28 PM
yes, every 7, 8, 9 or 10 days.

Col4570
04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
A guy runs into the Barbers and says "can I use your Bathroom I am desperate",the Barber says "who Shaves you" the gasping bloke says "I Shave myself" the Barber says "well s... yourself".

ghh3rd
04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
My hair is really thin (gone) on top and not much on sides either,,, just enough to look bad when it gets long. I pull out the clippers ($12 ten or twelve years ago), clip #2 on it and have at it. Even my eyebrows get a #2. Used to run #2 over the beard too but now I'm up to #8 on that :-)

mold maker
04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
My daughter is in the garage waiting with the clippers right now. She cuts mine, my Grandsons, and her Godsons every couple weeks.

472x1B/A
04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Do I cut my own hair? No. Have I ever cut my own hair? No. Will I ever cut my own hair? No. Since getting out of the Air Force I have my hair cut at a barber shop once a year. Usually $8.00 with a $2.00 tip. Use to get a hair cut once a month while in the A.F.. Don't have a thing against pony tails except while working close to running grain conveyors or grain dryers. Watch out and be careful.

375RUGER
04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
voted no because after 25 years of buzzing it off myself, I Finally got tired of cutting it and started growing it.

woody1
04-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Wife cuts my hair so I guess I don't have a vote as none of the options fit.

Wild Bill 7
04-22-2017, 09:24 AM
My wife cuts mine. Has been for over 30 years. First with scissors, then she wanted a Flobie, so we got that and actually it works pretty good. I have it short on the sides and 1 1/2 to 2 inches on top. Been like that ever since I got out of the Army.

jmorris
04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
I cut mine, wife cuts the back on my neck once it bothers her.

NavyVet1959
04-22-2017, 10:15 AM
I cut mine, wife cuts the back on my neck once it bothers her.

Back when I cut mine in a 1/2" crew cut, I preferred to have a straight line across the bottom, but with as short as I keep it now, it doesn't matter. What I used to do back then was take a piece of wide masking tape and hold it behind my head so the I could even it up from the front without looking at the rear of it and then place the masking tape on my head/neck. I would then go by feel and put the edge of the clippers on the tape and cut downwards to get my neck. That gave me about 1.5" of protected area along the bottom of the hair to keep me from cutting too far up.

Big Boomer
04-22-2017, 10:32 AM
It was not a listed option but my wife has cut my hair since we were married. When we were first married I had plenty of hair - lost most of it since we got married. She is a retired advanced art teacher in high school, has a Master of Arts degree in Art and didn't have to fool with students who weren't really interested. Has a fine eye for what looks good (that's what I tell everyone is the reason she married me). However, if you aren't growing much hair and are 77 years old, she has only so much with which to work. So I voted "hair?" Big Boomer

rondog
04-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Yes, I do. I use a Flowbee and my Shop-Vac. Works great, excellent beard trimmer too. An excellent investment.

Which reminds me, I'm due for a good mowing - got a wedding to attend next weekend.

WebMonkey
04-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Cav cut for me.
A high and tight.
1/2" on top, not a flat top, with whitewalls.

I cut it myself.
Sometimes you can't tell.
:)

Ateam
04-22-2017, 05:10 PM

This is exactly how I do it, never paid for a hair cut yet. We were poor growing up and spending extra dollars on hair cuts was never even considered. Not poor now, but those frugal habits stick with you.

Kraschenbirn
04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Should've had a "wife cuts it" choice. My wife got her beautician's license taking summer and night classes while she was in high school and earned her pocket money in college doing hair for the girls in her dorm. (btw: she graduated with honors from a Big Ten university and, later, picked up a Masters doing summer school and extension courses.) Started cutting mine right after I got out of the Army; she'd just graduated and got her first full-time job and I was finishing my degree on the G.I. Bill. Didn't have the proverbial pot to p*** in or window to toss it out of so, to save a few bucks, she cut mine and I helped her do her own.

Bill

Thin Man
04-25-2017, 09:12 AM
I cut my hair one time only. Back when I was about 6 years old all my friends had the crew cut so I wanted one too. Parents wouldn't allow it so I sneaked and got a good (?) pair of scissors. Well armed, I climbed up on the vanity top and cut off all the hair I could see and reach. About the time I was through cutting hair my mother walked into the bathroom. The scream that came out of her is probably still racing through outer space. I guess she thought some mechanical device had beat me up and I was injured. At first she was scared, then angry, then finally found humor in what I had done. My father just gave a sigh and hauled me off to the barber shop for a final tune-up. The barber got a good laugh at my work. He got the shortest cutter guard he had and claimed that even with his work it would take several weeks for the hair to grow so a smooth cut could be done. He also mentioned all the hills, humps and gaps on my head looked like a camel stampede. What an insult to my fine work. In due time the hair grew back in and I returned to my routine haircut. After all that work I decided that the crew cut just was not right for me. And I still go to a barber shop.

ACrowe25
04-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Used to keep a regular hair cut first couple years of high school. Now I'm 25 and it get's an electric buzzer with no guard once every couple weeks. Always below a #3 but never shiny bald. Don't have the time or care to visit a barber, plus they cost money.

fiberoptik
04-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Joined the clipper club after leaving the Corps of 7 years when the only "barber" was a flame haired fruitloop who caressed my head more than it cut hair. That was around '90. Since then I've also joined the safety Razor club. I enjoy very short free cuts, or shaved if I blow it, & the zen time of a great shave with a blade that works well, lasts me a week & cost $0.20 versus $2 and is only good for 1 shave.
I do miss the woman who cut my long hair in high school that would bury my face in her boobs while doing the back half!

jcwit
04-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Not enough options to the Poll.

My wife has cut my hair for years, took her training from sister in law who is/was a beaution.

Course now she only needs to cut the hair on the sides, rest is bald!

NavyVet1959
04-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Not enough options to the Poll.

Yeah, yeah, I know... If I could change it, I would...

dragon813gt
04-26-2017, 10:04 PM
this reminds me of a story about an old Japanese guy who came to visit his son in America. son was takin' him to show dad where he worked. "let's cut across this lot, we'll save X amount of minutes", "let's cut up this alley, we'll save X amount of minutes." and on like this for several more "time savin's" on the way. dad didn't say anything, just looked at all the sights along the way. when they got to son's office dad says "so tell me my son, what will we do with all this time we saved?"

I spend time w/ my family. When I'm home I'm home. When I'm at work I'm at work. I see my kids more now even though I travel for work. This coming Monday I will be "working" from home. Before it was 10 hours a day, actually twelve w/ travel, six days a week. And even though I was home every night I had little time to spend w/ my kids. I'd never have the opportunity to work from home before. I understand the point you were making. But some times the point isn't valid. More times then not it's valid so I consider myself lucky.

rmark
04-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Wahl #3 attachment about every 2 weeks

CIC
04-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Yep!
Haven't darkened the doorstep of a barber shop in a long time...especially this last decade where the only barber within 20 miles is a woman who cuts it and then asks..."which side do you part it on?"
I always thought they would notice that before getting started...well, maybe that's just me. I pay attention to how I disassemble things before I need to put them back together.
that's is funny right there! I just joined the forum and I am enjoying reading through some of the different topics. How this one ever cought my eye I don't know. Anyway, I have been cutting my own hair for over a decade now. I use clippers every couple weeks to get my head and my face. That is more time than I care to spend on it but I work in a professional role in a healthcare setting. I feel some obligation to suppress my redneck tendencies. If it weren't for the job I imagine I would go full on duck dynasty.

gatortommy
04-28-2017, 03:05 PM
I got tired of having to fix it when I got home so just started doing it myself. Saves time, not to mention money.

54bore
04-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Wifes fixin to saw mine off today, the patches ive got left that is. I haven't been to a barber in nearly 20 years i would say

PaperPuncher
05-01-2017, 11:17 PM
I been cutting it for about 10 years now with an electric clipper and a 3/4" attachment. Just didn't like the hassle of making appointments and going to the salons every month. I do miss the stylists and their boobs in my face when they worked on me.

fiberoptik
05-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Now if only they sent a pair of boobs with each set of clippers ………

Bazoo
05-02-2017, 12:56 AM
My hair is past my shoulders. When i cut it, its always been either me or family or friends.

Tom W.
08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
I found a geenyouine barber shop just a little past a mile from the house. I have a favorite barber and will wait for him. The lady barber is a big busted knockout, but doesn't do (imo) such a great job. Between trips to the barber shop I'll take my electric razor and buzz the top of my bald head........

Plate plinker
08-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Barber shop for me because I enjoy the place where men are still men. You can go to a women's shop I guess if your light in the loafers.

edler7
08-13-2017, 01:33 PM
I used to go to a barber shop that was run by an old guy that used to run a barber school. He had 2 girls in there with him that cut my hair...it was GREAT. They always included a scalp massage and always hit you with some kind of stuff (witch hazel ?) at the end that made your scalp tingle for a half hour or so. Plus, they were excellent at cutting hair.

One day I went in for a cut, and there was a woman in the chair and they were giving her a permanent (the boss was gone). Now I would rather smell a dead carcass than that hair permanent stuff. It is in the top 3 absolute worst smells in the world in my book. That was the last time I was in a barber shop.

My wife cuts my hair now, has for the last 15 years or so.

TexasGrunt
08-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Wy wife cuts my hair. She's been doing it for almost 25 years.

trebor44
08-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Wahl clippers & #2 trim guide. Done all over by my wife. Always have to wonder who skinned the rabbit after it's all done!

woodbutcher
08-14-2017, 12:21 AM
:) Well,growing up,I did the GI DI from PI special.Now There is a swell lady who cuts mine locally.Does a great job.No charge,as I help her with taking off her trash and help her clean up the shop.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

JBinMN
08-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Started in the Corps, & then I probably have been to an actual barber maybe 20 times in the past 30+ years since I left active duty. Mostly do my own, then have the missus or one of the sons check the back for being evenly cut. Most of the time I do a pretty acceptable job on my own though. Also cut my two sons hair with a clipper til they were 17-18, then they were on their own. My oldest, who served in the Army for around 5 years has done the same with his two boys also. Apparently it has become a sort of "family tradition". LOL
:)

rking22
08-14-2017, 09:26 AM
My daughter mows it back every 6 months or so, I'm not very fashion conscious...

bbogue1
08-14-2017, 10:50 AM
I have a rather long scar from the back of my head to the top of my head from surgery. I have a barber cut my hair every 6-7 weeks to reduce the visibility of the scar. In really hot weather the last two weeks mean pretty sweaty hair otherwise it is not too bad.

brass410
08-14-2017, 11:22 AM
20yrs ago give or take, myself and a buddy accidentaly over partook of a fine bottle of spirits. the end result was me no hair (right to tha wood) him one eyebrow. half a handle bar mustache, one stripe of hair with a broken line beside it ( think centre line hwy) he's gone now but my haircuts have remained the same right to the wood by my hand or my wifes or whoever will do it. I kinda like it no maintence now

izzyjoe
08-16-2017, 10:07 PM
I have been cutting my own hair for over 25yrs, cause I never had time for waiting around in barbershops listening to boolship, and I didn't quite have a lot of funds for it either. Now I just spend the extra funds on reloading supplies.

jarhead0321usmc
08-17-2017, 12:20 AM
No my barber is a close family friend, I usually go to catch up and see whats new.

pete501
08-20-2017, 11:25 AM
I have not had a haircut in almost 20 years. I keep it in braids and under my hat. Its down to my waist.
Before that I had cut it myself.
A note on the Flowbee. I had been approached by the inventor when he had just a prototype and was looking for investors. He was a friend of a friend giving free haircuts to pitch his idea. I still wonder "what if I had invested".

jerry6stl
08-22-2017, 09:17 AM
My wife cuts my hair. A dozen years ago bought a "hair cutting tool kit" at Walmart for $35, initially to cut the dog's hair. After a few dog trims, it became apparent she could/should also cut mine. I pay her $20 each time, which she uses for her special treat purchases. The dog still gets free hair cuts.

Grmps
08-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Have any of you tried https://www.amazon.com/Remington-HC4250-Shortcut-Self-Haircut-Clippers/dp/B014SG66UO/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1503443945&sr=1-9&keywords=hair%2Bclippers&th=1

08-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Bought an $18 dollar electric cutter in 1992 and have had only one paid haircut since. Had a long stint at FLETC, New Mexico, and just couldn't stand the long hair anymore, so I paid a barber. Soon as I got home, the wife gave me my normal doo.

NavyVet1959
08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Have any of you tried https://www.amazon.com/Remington-HC4250-Shortcut-Self-Haircut-Clippers/dp/B014SG66UO/ref=sr_1_9_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1503443945&sr=1-9&keywords=hair%2Bclippers&th=1

Overpriced and the ones the plug into the wall are more reliable.

dkf
08-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Started cutting my own hair at least 15 years ago. Place my dad and I were going was charging like $18 way back then plus tip for hardly cutting any hair. Got a clippers and do it myself from then on. It was not the money so much as wasting so much time driving back and forth, waiting and then being itchy until I could get a shower. I cut my dads hair too but that doesn't take too long as he doesn't have much. Even cut my friends hair already after his wife screwed it up.

mold maker
08-23-2017, 07:30 PM

The only advantage I see is the slightly curved blade. It wouldn't fit the curves of much of the dome so nothing I'd spend an extra dime on. Just another item made to sell instead of a usefull tool.

RoGrrr
11-02-2017, 12:38 AM
I have an "INVERSION RACK" and hang upside down on it so I don't have to worry about the cut hairs causing itching on my shoulders and back. I can mow my grass, come in soaking wet with sweat and cut my hair and not get anything on me.
I spent about $20 on a set of clippers which has been paid back many MANY times.
The rack also stretches my back out, making me feel so much better, too.

Shopdog
11-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Think we're on the 3rd? set of Wahl clippers in 35 blissful years of marriage.We still get to laughing!"Sir,would you like a #3 today or a #2"...."you are the best looking barber,and make it really tough to concentrate but,make it a 3".

Wifey,who can't cook pop tarts is amazingly good with hair clippers?

Anybody want to go old skool,look on flea bay for Brown & Sharpe (yup,the same) hair clippers.They are original,"cordless".

Mr_Sheesh
11-02-2017, 06:43 AM
I pay, I have almost none of that "Artistic" gene, if I cut my own hair I'd end up either in a zoo studied as a Cro Magnon, or shot & wall mounted as a bald Yeti - Whatever happened, it'd be BAD, worse than the "haircut" I gave myself. Nopers, not going to try it.

mozeppa
11-02-2017, 07:12 AM
i belong in ripley's believe it or not.

i started going to abe & rays barber shop in 1958 when i was 5.

ivan was a long time barber there and he was the one to doo me.
he eventually wound up owing the barber shop when first ray retired in 2000...then abe in 2015

ivan retired in 2016.... he always did a thoroughly perfect job....it always took 35 to 40 minutes for me to be done.

we were both golfers so plenty to talk about.

i really miss him....(in a brotherly way):wink:

lightman
11-02-2017, 08:44 AM
No, but I sometimes nip off the stray strand that they mis.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-02-2017, 09:06 AM
I cut the boys and my wife cuts mine.

MyFlatline
11-02-2017, 06:49 PM
3/8th's blade on the dog clippers for 20 years..If the wife is being nice she will tell if I missed a spot...She's not normally nice...

EMC45
11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Cut both the boys hair last night. Left the top, faded up the sides and back.

mold maker
11-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Everyone wants to be different, but length and lack of is the only choice. As mine started going South, my choices were reduced to a half ring and fuzzy ears. A #2 guide and feathered edges are quick work for my Daughter and an encouragement for my Grandson to allow her to do the same for him. Funny how the little bit of my white hair shows among his on the floor... I remember having a thick head of his color not so many years ago.

RGrosz
11-03-2017, 01:24 PM
My wife cuts mine, but I'm almost in the third choice. I got my mom's dad's head of skin. LOL
Rob

500Linebaughbuck
11-03-2017, 01:54 PM
i buzz mine. as a matter of fact, i buzzed last week.

largom
11-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Sent my wife to beautician school when we got married. Decided she did not want to do that work. For past 46 years she has cut my hair, what little is left, figure I got my money back for beautician school.

poppy42
11-03-2017, 11:34 PM
What hair? Been shaving my head for 10 or 15 years!

quail4jake
11-03-2017, 11:48 PM
The first time I cut my own hair was July 3rd, 1976. My friends and I who worked on the farm wanted a good close buzz for the bicentennial so we used the cow clippers dunked in diesel fuel and wacked it all off. The next day we were in the Parade leading our show heifers and burned our scalps! We spent the rest of the day with our heads in the drinking trough, owwwwwwwww! I was 15 and had all the answers, now i still cut my own hair but the only thing I know for sure is wear a hat!

John Guedry
11-05-2017, 05:36 PM
It's enough I gotta grow it.

mold maker
11-05-2017, 07:47 PM
It's enough I gotta grow it.

After so many decades, time will solve that. Notice how in my avatar it mostly slid off my dome, around my ears, and is hanging on to my chin for dear life.

rondog
11-06-2017, 02:27 AM
A note on the Flowbee. I had been approached by the inventor when he had just a prototype and was looking for investors. He was a friend of a friend giving free haircuts to pitch his idea. I still wonder "what if I had invested".

I love my Flowbee and use it every month, I think it's great! But I rarely hear of anyone else that uses one, or even knows what it is. So I don't know about investing in them. But I also believe I heard the inventor bought himself a private island - so who knows.....

DoubleAdobe
11-06-2017, 11:42 AM
3/8th's blade on the dog clippers for 20 years..If the wife is being nice she will tell if I missed a spot...She's not normally nice...

I chuckled. Not that I know what of you speak, though. Nope

DoubleAdobe
11-06-2017, 11:43 AM
The first time I cut my own hair was July 3rd, 1976. My friends and I who worked on the farm wanted a good close buzz for the bicentennial so we used the cow clippers dunked in diesel fuel and wacked it all off. The next day we were in the Parade leading our show heifers and burned our scalps! We spent the rest of the day with our heads in the drinking trough, owwwwwwwww! I was 15 and had all the answers, now i still cut my own hair but the only thing I know for sure is wear a hat!

Now that is a lesson that keeps on teaching....

DoubleAdobe
11-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Sent my wife to beautician school when we got married. Decided she did not want to do that work. For past 46 years she has cut my hair, what little is left, figure I got my money back for beautician school.
I had the same thing happen with my daughter. Sent her to beautician school, thought she was set for life, but she hated cutting and messing with especially women's hair. I do get her to cut my and some of the closer family's hair, she is a hell of a barber, she just does not enjoy it.
I give her a 20 dollar bill every time so she doesn't quit doing mine. I hate going to a barber shop.

Grmps
11-12-2017, 03:55 AM
Remington Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit
$30.80 + Free Shipping
limited time

https://slickdeals.net/f/10777211-remington-shortcut-pro-self-haircut-kit-30-79-via-amazon-w-free-s-h?sdxt01=2017-11-11+10%3A26%3A03&sdxt07=0&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=1980840&utm_content=55836&utm_campaign=tu4&p=106982271&src=da_si_v2_37185884

owejia
11-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Wife cuts mine and she also cuts her own hair, although I use the clippers to trim and even it on her neck.

needausername
11-12-2017, 11:45 AM
As long as I have hair, I'll pay someone to cut it. In turn, I hope they would choose to pay for my services one day.

I once sat in a dentist office and and there was a book showing pictures of the city streets then and now. All of the then pictures were private owned businesses. Independent shoe shops, grocers, restaurants, clothers, etc. All of the now pics were franchises and mega corps.

Barbers are one of the few independent shops left standing. I take pride walking in them.

keithd
11-13-2017, 06:18 PM
I'm in the military and I have a buzz cut, so I cut my own.

I just bought some Remington curved cordless clippers and I just cut it all with the guard off every two weeks. I will say Remington makes better clippers than leverguns. :p When I was in Afghanistan I paid to have it done as it was cheap.

When I retire I might go to a barber shop if I can find one that can do a straight-razor shave worth a darn.

Col4570
11-13-2017, 07:04 PM
WW2 Nazis Himmler,Hitler etc had Pudding Basin Hair cuts,they thought they where the Bees Knees but in fact where knuckle heads.A similar Barber is at loose in a North Korea.