PDA

View Full Version : "Roll your own"? Please stop it!!!

fatelvis
04-18-2017, 11:35 AM
For years I've been reading or hearing this term when relating to handloading. Is there a reason this term was used? I ask because nothing outside of the archaic method of lubing cases, involves "rolling". Same with calling bullets "pills, heads, slugs", etc. Lol :twisted:

Electric88
04-18-2017, 11:37 AM
I always assumed this was adopted to mean reloading by people who already rolled their own cigarettes. It was easy to use the same phrase for two different practices.

As to the slang for bullets, I got nothing there. Pills may have been coined when people started joking about a bullet in the head being a cure for stupidity, violence, etc. That is just a guess though.

davidheart
04-18-2017, 11:40 AM
I always assumed this was adopted to mean reloading by people who already rolled their own cigarettes. It was easy to use the same phrase for two different practices.

This was my understanding as well. Even though the only thing I "roll" are boolits I'm sure I've used the term a few times before too.

Digital Dan
04-18-2017, 11:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/photo%202%202_zps2588rqcx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/photo%202%202_zps2588rqcx.jpg.html)

mdi
04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Home made vs. store bought. Folks "rolled their own" (made their own from scratch) cigarettes, the term carried over to reloading (made their own ammo from scratch). I guess newer generations never saw much rolling yer own (except for pot)...

I remember watching my Grandpa roll his own cigarettes with his 4 fingered hand (he said he lost his index finger when he roped a steer and his finger got caught between the rope and the saddle horn and "twisted that finger right off").

hardy
04-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Cannelures,paper patches,knurling ,Thank God for the English language!!!Mike Michael, Mick,Mickey Mikaelovitch,Mihael Etc,

fatelvis
04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Well I'll be.... I have never thought about rolling cigarettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frkelly74
04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
It is just an inclination toward more picturesque speech, or writing as it were. I know the trend is toward one word for all purposes or even acronyms and I find that boring. The worst case is using the word that begins with F for every adjective , noun, verb that a person wants to spew. I guess it saves having to think of what to say.

gwpercle
04-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Well I'll be.... I have never thought about rolling cigarettes.

What did you think......some illicit substance (joint) rolling ?
We would fight over the Prince Albert Tobacco tins my grandfather emptied . Great marble container...marbles , the game played in the dirt at school , not counter tops .

frkelly74
04-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Do you have Prince Albert in a can? ..... Well you better let him out.

KenH
04-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Oh yes, do I remember that phrase from my (much) younger days. I grew up with Dad rolling his own from Prince Albert.

Ken H>

RGrosz
04-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Grandpa didn't like Prince Albert, now Sir Walter Reilly (sp) was his preferred.

MT Chambers
04-18-2017, 01:35 PM
The ones that I don't like are: "Bullet heads" and "shoot under one inch all day long".

OS OK
04-18-2017, 01:43 PM

How many Drug Stores did we call to ask that question...then, hang up quick and roll in laughter! On top of that think we might get in trouble if they ever figure out who called...high suspense committing our calling crimes!
This done in that day where we all had the same color phone, black and you actually had to dial the number.

Traffer
04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Cast boolit? Check this out. I think it's bangin man.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boolit
Boolit (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boolit)
Street (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Street) pronunciation and/or spelling (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spelling) of "bullet (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bullet)".

Plural: Boolitz, or sometimes Boolits, meaning Ammunition.
Freddy: Hey, yo - you got some boolitz fo my Deagle Fity?

Gun Store Clerk: Get lost, punk (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=punk), I don't sell ammunition to gangsters!

Yo, Jo-Jo, I got me a tin of boolitz for my JJ (Jiminez .22) - how 'bout we makin some bling bang.

Man (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Man), all them whitey-nazies be buying up all the boolitz - even Wally (Walmart (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Walmart)) ain't got none!

Leroy, you clean, so how about you go to the Army Navy and get Franklin hear to get us some mo boollits.

And a couple more here:
http://urbanthesaurus.org/synonyms/gun

dragon813gt
04-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Cast boolit? Check this out. I think it's bangin man.

I've posted this many times. People will defend the term "boolit" all day long.

fredj338
04-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Probably from the days where everyone "rolled their own" cigs. I just snicker at those that get all worked up about such things.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Yeah from rolling smokes, grandfather had a tin contraption for rolling his own. Knew a couple cowboys still carried Bull Durham and papers, rolled their own.

Gewehr-Guy
04-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Rolled my own at 14 , .22 hornet w-Lee Loader,and Prince Albert in a can. Then strike a wood match on the back of your Levis back when they made real matches

robg
04-18-2017, 03:37 PM
I roll my own smokes/fags in the UK /load my own boolits ,have central heating but have an open fire as well ,I like not being reliant on mains supply .I'm a contrary creature.

Traffer
04-18-2017, 03:47 PM
I rolled my own cigarettes for several years. Every time I was low on funds went to Bugle or Top or Kite. Prince Albert and other all round pipe tobacco's are all too expensive. I once bought a pack of Standard Tobacco. My grandfather used to chew it. My dad said in the old days they used to smoke it. So I bought a pack. (about half the price of Bugle) As I was rolling my first cigarette with it my dad noticed and said, "you're not going to smoke that stuff are you?" I reminded him that he was the one that told me of the old time guys smoking it. He said, "yeah but those guys were tough, and they didn't live long". So I took a very careful puff and barely inhaled it. Dam near puked coughing. It buuuurned going down. That was the last of the Standard Tobacco. I quit smoking in 1986. But If I was still smoking I would not only be rolling my own but I would be growing my own tobacco too. Don't know how people can afford $6 for a pack of cigarettes.

mdi
04-18-2017, 04:47 PM
I've posted this many times. People will defend the term "boolit" all day long.
Yes. There is a definite difference between "Boolits" and "Bullets". Easily explained in this very forum...

Blackwater
04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
People have always used languages a bit "creatively." It's the playfulness in our natures, and maybe with a bit of appreciation for irony, with a bit of love for analogies, that I think are at the root of this phenomena. I'm a southerner, and we've long been noted for using our language "creatively." It's kind of an effort at an "inside joke," too, I think?

It's been said that 90% of all human communication is NON-verbal, and how we say things can be a reflection of that also. (shrug) In my world, as long as someone's trying to be friendly and find a bit of a joke in something, inside or outside, I'm OK with it. Beats the heck out of arguing, complaining and fighting! But that's just me. More technically inclined folks probably don't like "figurative" use of the language. That's OK too. "Different strokes for different folks, I guess?

Sometimes, I wonder that we're able to communicate with each other at all!

woodbutcher
04-18-2017, 06:04 PM
:D Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes.The foibles of the English language.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

runfiverun
04-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Charles Askins put out a little hard backed book titled 'come roll your own' way back in the day.
it explained re-loading and had some load details in it.

I have it here somewhere, but ain't seen it since the wife decided our bedroom needed to be in the basement room I was building as a gun room.

Guesser
04-18-2017, 08:05 PM
In the same context there is the term "Tailor mades", referring to ammunition specifically formulated for a particular gun.......and we are all guilty, proudly, of doing that. Comes under the heading of "load development".

salpal48
04-18-2017, 08:30 PM
The Term Roll Your Own. with Loading Dates back to early Flint and Earlier . I have read in early shooting Books that people did not melt lead . , They pressed it Into shape possibly to form balls or early slug type.
I guess they had some type of hand mold That pressed soft lead. . This might be True. considering The cost and the availability of Fire and iron to melt and Mold.. Well that was my take on It

trapper9260
04-18-2017, 08:52 PM
I think that roll your own might have came from when you cast round balls and you roll them to take the sharp edges off. before you shot them to get a better pattern with them.In the past i did a test of cast my own 00 buck shot in a 410 and shot some with out roll my own and there was no pattern and then when I roll my own I had a pattern on them.I also have hear of roll your own like it used like stated.

Thumbcocker
04-18-2017, 08:56 PM
My Grandpa Hembree rolled his own smokes from Bull Durham. Started smoking in Oklahoma at age 11. Died of lung cancer. In his book "Roughing it" Mark Twain talked about the handguns he and his companions carried and described one as "carrying a shot like a homeopathic pill requiring all 7 to make a dose for an adult"

GhostHawk
04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
It is good to be able to control your supply of things that it is hard to live without.

In my case it is much cheaper to stock up on Red Dot powder and primers, keep some lead on hand. That keeps ALL my guns shooting. As compared to paying a dollar a round for rifle, 25-50 cents a round for pistol and about the same for shotgun.

Red Dot may not always be the best powder in all situations but it always goes bang. It is thrifty on the pocketbook. Especially if you are comparing 5 grains of RD compared to 45 or 50 grains of a rifle powder. For what I do that is good enough. YMMV.

leeggen
04-18-2017, 09:30 PM
In our address we spell bullits as boolits, with a little investigating in our history you will find, if I remember correctly, when the group was trying to name our web sight they wanted a name that would stand out from all the other bullit sights. So one of the wives made the comment as to spelling bullits as boolits. That is the history lesson of today. As to calling things by names that I just don't relate to, well my hippy days are long gone andsome I wish to forget. Bullits are jacketed and boolits are poured in molds useing lead as the filler. I also reload, it is just that simple.
CD

Silvercreek Farmer
04-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Grandpa didn't like Prince Albert, now Sir Walter Reilly (sp) was his preferred.

"Raleigh" is the spelling you are looking for. I'm from NC and I probably got it wrong on every school paper I ever wrote it on. I usually get it right these days, but just now, I got to thinking about it too much and got it wrong!

I do enjoy my southernisms, especially those with roots in farming or Appalachia.

44man
04-19-2017, 10:01 AM
"PILLS" the best. They kill you. Go to the doc for pills and die faster. He could shoot you with a pill from a gun. But he wants years of kickbacks from drug companies.
I also hate the slang. Bore or groove? Bullet or round? I try to keep straight.
One thing I never understood is "Lock and load". Please explain where that came from.

44man
04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
In our address we spell bullits as boolits, with a little investigating in our history you will find, if I remember correctly, when the group was trying to name our web sight they wanted a name that would stand out from all the other bullit sights. So one of the wives made the comment as to spelling bullits as boolits. That is the history lesson of today. As to calling things by names that I just don't relate to, well my hippy days are long gone andsome I wish to forget. Bullits are jacketed and boolits are poured in molds useing lead as the filler. I also reload, it is just that simple.
CD
Darn it you hillbilly, it is bullet. :groner:. Boolit is CAST.

RGrosz
04-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Raleigh" is the spelling you are looking for. I'm from NC and I probably got it wrong on every school paper I ever wrote it on. I usually get it right these days, but just now, I got to thinking about it too much and got it wrong!

Thank You, that's correct on the spelling. Used the cans to hold grasshoppers and fishing worms when we went fishing and during combining oats on his farm'

Electric88
04-19-2017, 10:15 AM
"PILLS" the best. They kill you. Go to the doc for pills and die faster. He could shoot you with a pill from a gun. But he wants years of kickbacks from drug companies.
One thing I never understood is "Lock and load". Please explain where that came from.

My understanding is that it originated sometime around WWII, when American soldiers would "lock" in an enbloc clip and automatically a round was "loaded" into the chamber. There could be other theories though.

Apocalypse
04-19-2017, 10:16 AM
I want to play too: The one that confounds me is using "BBL" as short for "barrel".

Bookworm
04-19-2017, 10:30 AM
One of my sisters-in-law is a Professor of Languages at a large University in the Midwest.

She once commented that spoken language is such an inefficient way to communicate, it's a wonder we can ever make ourselves understood to anyone.

Different words mean different things at different times and places. Some words have been commandeered to have a completely different meaning, for political purposes (for instance "gay"). Some words will get a laugh in one nation, and get you punched in another.

Me ? I don't much care.
As I get older, I first thought I was getting more patient with others. Now I understand that I just don't really care about what others think, do, or say all that much.

scattershot
04-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Refers to cigarettes. That's where the term came from.

scattershot
04-19-2017, 10:35 AM
I want to play too: The one that confounds me is using "BBL" as short for "barrel".

There is actually a storage barrel that has three words for a name, which escapes me at the moment, but the abbreviation is BBL. Somehow it came to refer to a rifle barrel. Don't ask me how.

Char-Gar
04-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Back in the day, when I was a young fellow, trying to learn the Cowboy trade in the Big Bend of Texas, rolling your own cigarettes was a part of the trade. To do it right, you had to use one hand and never, never use glue paper. You could tell a Rexall Wranger (drug store cowboy) cause they smoked "ready rolls" (store bought cigarettes).

All sorts of popular speech migrates from it's origins to some other usage. Objecting to it, is like pizzing in the wind.

Artful
04-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Then strike a wood match on the back of your Levis back when they made real matches

http://www.chainsawjournal.com/top-4-strike-anywhere-matches/

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=strike+anywhere+matches&sprefix=Strike+anywhere%2Cgarden%2C431&crid=HDS4TPGLDGEL

mold maker
04-19-2017, 10:44 AM
As long as I can understand the info your trying to convey, I don't care what word or phrase you use.
Failing that, I'll ask you to rephrase it.
No PC police here. Using a colorful phrase to emphasis a thought often makes me pay closer attention. And yes, I have rolled my own in both definitions.
As lots of Southern folks will tell ya, "Po folks has po ways". It doesn't take a PHD to understand the concept, but the PC police will have a field day.

44man
04-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Some languages use the same word for something but it is how you say it.
English is still the best and all others use more words for the same. Listen how fast Spanish is spoken and how many more words are needed. How to get a mouth and tongue that fast is amazing. They say the same word with all different meanings.

runfiverun
04-19-2017, 11:05 AM

that one is me.
Bbl is a volumetric measurement used in the oil field.
it is short for 42 gallons or 1 Barrel [they stole it from the Rail Road anyway] and habit's are hard to break even if the rest of the world can't read them.

I guess I could go all Canadian and express volumes as 'Cubes' or cubic meters.
except I don't want to divide by liters then times that by 4 and divide again by 3.78 to get gallons.

OS OK
04-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Is this some form of 'Political Correctness' that has come to Cast Boolits?
If so...I'm going to strive to use the boolits terminology even more now!

toallmy
04-19-2017, 02:30 PM
At Sunday dinner Easter I spoke with a family member that has moved away , She needed to buy a new grass cutter , but the people at the shop didn't understand her , eventually the salesman said o you mean a lawn mower . Then she got him straight by telling him no I have grass and weeds , fancy people have a lawn .

JSnover
04-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Fun thread but I don't think I'll stop calling my ammunition "hand-rolled" or my lube "home-brew."
Though I do wish people would stop saying "heads" or "tips" when they talk about bullets.

Garyshome
04-19-2017, 02:43 PM
I used to roll my own when i smoked pot.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-19-2017, 02:50 PM
well I never.........lol I did roll my own cigs for a while a few times mainly cuz of bein poor, now I have slowed down on the smoking, only smoke 2 swisher sweet cigarillos a day, used to be a pack and a half. and garyshome, I am sure your not the only one to have smoked a little pot in their past;) I think 60-70% of people have at least smoked once.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
but that's besides the point. I do not like the whole Bbl thing either barrel has , count em', one b!!!

Digital Dan
04-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Sometimes, I wonder that we're able to communicate with each other at all!

"To any foreigner, English is exceedingly difficult. Even the angels speak it with an accent."
- Mark Twain; autograph in copy of Pudd'nhead Wilson

David2011
04-19-2017, 07:20 PM

Yep; pills, shotty, Remmy, Winny- all stupid sounding slang to substitute for perfectly good existing words in an effort to sound knowledgeable and cool. OTOH, I like 'boolits' because it differentiates between copper clad mass production and hand crafted cast projectiles.

David

Thumbcocker
04-19-2017, 08:57 PM
IIRC John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" yells lock and load and then places his rifle on safe and chambers a round. Don't know where it originated though.

scattershot
04-19-2017, 09:13 PM
It's a military command on the firing line. "Lock and load, one round!"

It would make more sense if the phrase was load and lock, but t's not, and when you're a trainee you catch on pretty quick.

It means load a round and lock the bolt down. It made the transition to semi autos, even to the Mattel toys used now.

44man
04-20-2017, 10:05 AM
It might mean chamber a round and lock the bolt but it is backwards. If it means put on safe and load, it still does not fit as most guns can't be put on safe until loaded or the bolt cocked. Put the safety on on many guns and the bolt can't be opened.
Friends new Savage can't be put on safe until the bolt is cocked. Fire a round and you can not put it on safe before loading.
It should have been load and lock.

blackthorn
04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Maybe the reason the term "lock and load" is backwards is that (just maybe) the command originated in England. After all --- they do drive on the wrong side(s) of the road ---- just saying.

OS OK
04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Lock n' Load with R. Lee Ermey

https://lookup-api.apple.com/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ec/LockNLoadDVDCover.jpg/250px-LockNLoadDVDCover.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/apple-wikipedia-api://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LockNLoadDVDCover.jpg)Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey DVD cover

Also known as
Lock n' Load

Genre
Reality television (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/r:'Reality_television?lang=en&signature=com.apple.DictionaryApp.Wikipedia')

Starring
R. Lee Ermey (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/r:'R._Lee_Ermey?lang=en&signature=com.apple.DictionaryApp.Wikipedia')

Original language(s)
English

No. of seasons

No. of episodes

Production

Running time
44 minutes

Release

Original network
History (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/r:'History_(U.S._TV_channel)?lang=en&signature=com.apple.DictionaryApp.Wikipedia')

Original release
July 26 – November 13, 2009

External links

Website (http://www.history.com/video.do?name=LockNLoad)

KenT7021
04-20-2017, 01:45 PM
I believe lock and load started with the M1 rifle.Initial training was done loading single rounds instead of the loaded clip.Safety was locked,one round was inserted in the chamber and the bolt closed.

rosewood
04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
First time I heard the term "roll your own", I immediately associated the idea with making "rolling" your own cigarettes even though I have never smoked. I was just familiar with the term and thought it was funny. I use it myself alot.

However, when lubing brass to resize, I do roll it on a pad of lube, so I guess that can be considered true rolling.

rosewood
04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
I thought "lock and load" meant to lock in the magazine or clip (whichever is appropriate), then load.

rosewood
04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
My wife and her family calls a vacuum cleaner a "sweeper". Took me a while to figure out what they were talking about. Guess it is a yankee term, us southerners call it a "vacuum".

Rosewood

mdi
04-20-2017, 02:22 PM
"BBL" is the accepted abbreviation for barrel as in drum, keg, cask, hogshead, pipe, etc. Also can be used for a cylindrical part of an object; gun, pen, etc...

Echo
04-20-2017, 07:30 PM
It is just an inclination toward more picturesque speech, or writing as it were. I know the trend is toward one word for all purposes or even acronyms and I find that boring. The worst case is using the word that begins with F for every adjective , noun, verb that a person wants to spew. I guess it saves having to think of what to say.
"Thinking" usually isn't their long suit...

scattershot
04-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Here ya go.....

"By the early 1870's, the 42-gallon barrel had been adopted as the standard for oil trade. This was 2 gallons per barrel more than the 40-gallon standard used by many other industries at the time. The extra 2 gallons was to allow for evaporation and leaking during tranport (most barrels were made of wood). Standard Oil began manufacturing 42 gallon barrels that were blue to be used for transporting petroleum. The use of a blue barrel, abbreviated "bbl," guaranteed a buyer that this was a 42-gallon"

scattershot
04-20-2017, 07:38 PM
... and here's a definition for lock n' load from the 'net.

This imperative phrase originally referred to the operation of the M1 Garand Rifle, the standard U.S. Army rifle of WWII. Its meaning is more general now, referring to preparation for any imminent event. To load a Garand, the bolt would be locked to the rear and a clip of ammunition loaded into the receiver.

fatelvis
04-21-2017, 05:27 AM

This imperative phrase originally referred to the operation of the M1 Garand Rifle, the standard U.S. Army rifle of WWII. Its meaning is more general now, referring to preparation for any imminent event. To load a Garand, the bolt would be locked to the rear and a clip of ammunition loaded into the receiver.

Wow very cool to note that the Garand was responsible for that command!

rosewood
04-21-2017, 09:44 AM

They left out the part of getting your thumb out of the way quickly...

scattershot
04-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Yeah, you catch on pretty quickly to that little maneuver.

Texas by God
04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Thats why you keep your right hand braced against the handle while your right thumb pushes the clip in place. To prevent "M1 Thumb". Give them "the whole nine yards" stems from the 1919 Browning MG's belt being 27 ft long.
And I can still roll a Bugler with one hand even though I quit smoking 15 yrs ago....
Best, Thomas.