PDA

View Full Version : NOE 5 cavity mold sprue plate modification?

Moleman-
04-18-2017, 09:21 AM
I recently bought a NOE 360-228fn 5-cavity mold for my semiauto 357AR (max-rimless) and used it for the first time last night. I have a few 6-cavity Lee molds that have a sprue plate cam handle that cams open the sprue plate making the turn around a little faster and more user friendly. At the risk of being kicked off the site, has anyone added a Lee type sprue plate handle to a NOE 5-cavity mold?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-18-2017, 10:11 AM
My suggestion should work with any mold, but to best help you, I do have a similar 5 cav. NOE mold (360-160-SWC).

I use a gloved hand to open any NOE mold, and find it faster than casting with a Lee 6 cav mold.
BUT, ...I say BUT, you must pre-heat the mold to casting temperature, and maintain that temperature during the casting session. I cut the sprues within 2 seconds of them freezing...and usually the sprues will freeze about 5 to 6 seconds after pouring...which is also a good indicator of having a good mold temperature.

I realize that isn't the answer to your question, but I suspect that is the answer that the majority of members will give you.

dragon813gt
04-18-2017, 10:18 AM
I realize that isn't the answer to your question, but I suspect that is the answer that the majority of members will give you.
Saved me a lot of typing. There isn't a need for the cam lever on a sprue plate if everything is up to temp. This goes for Lee molds as well.

There should be enough material on a NOE sprue plate to adapt the cam lever of one wished to. My concern would be wear on the side of the mold blocks from repeated use.

runfiverun
04-18-2017, 10:53 AM
I haven't.
I have 1 lee 6 cavity mold and it's actually an 11 cavity core mold cut on the lee blocks.
I'm trying to figure out how to get that stupid third handle off there and out of my way.

Dale53
04-18-2017, 11:11 AM
I use gloves and open sprue plates with my thumb, also.

I pre-heat my molds on a hot plate and keep them up to temp.

I use a small manicurists' fan to cool my sprue plate and maintain mold temp.

I have several of the NOE molds.

Dale53

fred2892
04-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Yes, I spent a couple of hours making a Lee copy handle to fit on one of the very first NOE group buy 5 cav moulds. A week later after buying a hot plate the third handle was removed as like everyone is saying, a gloved hand is all that's necessary and that extra handle just gets in the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moleman-
04-19-2017, 10:48 AM
I suppose it comes down to what you're used to using. Been mostly using the Lee 6-cavity molds since the early 90's and have been happy with them. Stick the front tip of them in the lead until it no longer hardens up around the aluminum, then start casting coffee cans of bullets. Fill, open, tap (if they all didn't fall out upon opening), close, repeat. Makes for fast piles of bullets. This NOE mold doesn't like to sit in the top of the lead pot like the lee do, so perhaps a hot plate is in order. I'll give it another try with the hot plate before ordering any parts from Lee. Thanks