PDA

View Full Version : Winchester primers ?

GOPHER SLAYER
04-17-2017, 05:49 PM
I have four hundred Winchester primers in the old yellow, blue & red boxes. They are marked # 111 but I don't know what that means. Could someone clue me in? Thanks

308Jeff
04-17-2017, 06:15 PM
It appears they are Large Pistol standard primers.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/components/primers/winchester-primers/Pages/winchester-primers.aspx

too many things
04-17-2017, 06:36 PM
are you using them in a simi auto? they were very soft and some autos that dont have the stricker system they have been known to fire when the slide closes . back then the 45 colt was the problem

GOPHER SLAYER
04-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. Since they are old and may present problems in my 1911, I doubt I will use them at all. I do load for my 44 MAG but it definitely will not be with these primers. I got them along with thousands of other primers in a trade a few years ago for a mans collection of reloading gear. If you a have a question about guns or reloading gear this is the place to ask.

knifemaker
04-17-2017, 09:24 PM
45 Colt and semi-auto do not go together. You must mean 45ACP as that is a semi auto cartridge. As for Winchester primers, I have been using them for years in several 45 ACP pistols that I was using for IDPA matches and never had a problem with them after 10-15 thousand rounds fired over the past 10 years. Do you have a valid source of information to verify they were having problems firing while going into battery. That is normally a high primer seating problem and any brand of primers can fire while going into battery if it is left seated high in the primer pocket.