PDA

View Full Version : Factory crimp die?

randyrat
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm reloading 30-06 180gr(most used)/115 gr/130gr bullets. Can i use a Lee factory crimp die without ruining the bullets. I always thought they may deform the bullet too much. With the set of dies i have right now, i don't always get a good squeeze and i can push the bullet in with a little pressure once in a while. I'm not sure why? Could be over nothing, like the batch of brass needs to be annealed (no splitting so far). I know i have them adjusted right. I still would like to try a factory crimp die if they work with Cast. I can't tell the brand name on these dies. Maybe time to get a new set.

xr650
07-14-2008, 09:29 AM
You can adjust the FCD for as little crimp as you want. I can't imagine that it would not work.

Slogg76
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like your sizing die may be a little out of spec. There should adequate neck tension after sizing so as to keep the bullet from being able to be pushed back down into the case. I have ran into the occasional sizing die that was out of spec. A light crimp usually solved the problem. Lee states that their sizing dies will "create a cannulure" when there is non presant. Normally I don't crimp my bottle neck cased rifle loads, but I have used Lee crimp dies on jacketed and cast bullets without cannulures (or in the case of some cast bullets the cannulure was in the wrong place to be usable) and had no problems.

DLCTEX
07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Just follow the directions and set the crimp correctly. I think the FCD that some are critical of is for pistol, and it sizes the finished cartridge to ensure feeding, The rifle die does not do this. IMHO the FCD for rifle is the best for cast as the crimp is applied laterally and therefore does not cause the case to bulge away from the boolit. DALE

runfiveslittlegirl
07-14-2008, 01:53 PM
i would be more concerned about the lack of neck tension than the crimp.
are your boolits the right size??
have you measured the inside of the necks of a resized case???

XBT
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I am using Lee factory crimp dies on cast boolits in several calibers, including 30-06. They can be set to crimp as light or heavy as required and the case length is not a critical factor. They work well for me.

Doc Highwall
07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
You stated that the cases might need to be annealed but you did not say how many times the cases have been loaded. I think this could be a problem if they are springing back after crimping your cases would need to be annealed. Check with a case that you know has not been reloaded as to what size the neck I.D. is after sizing and compare with the cases you are using. Also check the I.D. of both old and new case after expanding the necks for your boolit, this should answer your question. The problem I had with my gas checks went away after I annealed them, they were HARD to size causing the booilts to bump up and did not look as good as they do now after I annealed them. Some times the cases are a little hard when we buy them and we do not realize how work harden the really are right from the factory.

Lead melter
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
i would be more concerned about the lack of neck tension than the crimp.
are your boolits the right size??
have you measured the inside of the necks of a resized case???

Good Gosh!!! She knows more about this stuff than I do. :veryconfu

Go ahead and use that crimper Randy. I do it all the time. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything in my experience.

By the way, it's good to see your name on the circuit again. Been busy squishing vermin, or have I just missed your posts?

BCB
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
randyrat,

If you can push the bullet into the case after you have sized the case, something is wrong! I would measure the expanding plug in your sizing die. Also, remove the expander plug and then size a case. A bullet shouldn't even come close to entering the case mouth/neck. If it does, your dies are wrong or your bullets are grossly undersized if they are cast. The crimping die will work. I use Lee Factory Crimp all of the time on cast and jacketed bullets. If you need to crimp the bullet in place to hold it, you best start over and figure out what the problem is, 'cause there is a problem! Good-luck...BCB

randyrat
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Hay Mark, How ya doing. Still getting them good eats. I figured it was a couple bad peices of brass too hard. I got them for a song and they seemed to be brittle or real tough. They need to be annealed. i'll have to find one of those FCD and give it a try.

randyrat
07-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I measured the ID after i sized the brass and they were sized down to .300. my cast bulletas are sized to .309 with a GC on. I may have belled tooooo much with the goofy lyman belling die i have. I think it was made for pistol brass, i have it adjusted all the way up and i could still bell 30-06 brass down to the primer.

runfiverun
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
if they are 300 what??
your sizer ball should be more like 306-7 even 308 for spring back.
m-die my man. made by lyman..
even .001 neck tension won't let a boolit turn.
your g/c could be sizing the neck up sticking there and no tension on the boolit anywhere else