PDA

View Full Version : How many is to many? (powder horns)

OverMax
04-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Deer antlers mounted on a plaque and hung on the wall in my Man Cave makes a convenient place to hang my Powder horns on. Those powder horns all have small in size matching primer horns. (3-sets of powder horns)
Since I only have one T/C Hawken 50 cal.___ Is having 3 sets of Powder Horns for one rifles use considered kind'a ~~excessive?

Adam Helmer
04-17-2017, 12:19 PM
OverMax,

One NEVER has too many powder horns. I have 7 powder horns and two small priming horns. I have a dozen muzzleloaders, both flint and cap, and a dozen possibles bags. At yard sales I often find nice leather purses for a dollar, or less, that are better than $50.00+ commercial possibles bags. All my horns were a dollar or less and were easily refit into powder or primer horns.

Adam

square butte
04-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Depend on whether or not your married and how well your wife likes powder horns. My wife buys em for me for gifts. I am blessed

MostlyLeverGuns
04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
How many is too many should never be a question. If you want it and can afford it, get it, whatever it is, if it is legal of course. Two wives would not be legal, probably not affordable either (in many ways).

bubba.50
04-17-2017, 02:39 PM
I've only got about twenty so, I can't really relate to or answer yer question. but, to be clear, only about 1/2 dozen are users. the rest are projects in various stages of completion. probably use'em for gifts or trade material if I ever get around to finishin' them.

scattershot
04-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Nope. Never too many.

stubshaft
04-17-2017, 03:39 PM
That's like asking how many guns do you need...

scattershot
04-17-2017, 07:18 PM
That's like asking how many guns do you need...

I have the answer to that one. "Just one more."

buckwheatpaul
04-17-2017, 07:20 PM
I was always told: "He who dies with the most wins!"

Skunk1
04-17-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm still trying to find one for my daughter. Just using a cheap plastic job know. You guys are making me jealous

swathdiver
04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Deer antlers mounted on a plaque and hung on the wall in my Man Cave makes a convenient place to hang my Powder horns on. Those powder horns all have small in size matching primer horns. (3-sets of powder horns)
Since I only have one T/C Hawken 50 cal.___ Is having 3 sets of Powder Horns for one rifles use considered kind'a ~~excessive?

Yes, it's excessive. You need two more rifles/fowlers/doubleguns to justify those other two bags.

Eddie2002
04-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Powder horns, measures and pan primers you can't have enough.

GhostHawk
04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
I see no reason not to have spares hanging around. Especially if it sets the tone for the room. Says a bit about your space.

Beats a lot of things I have seen hanging on horns.

rancher1913
04-17-2017, 09:35 PM
it will confuse burglars, they will spend so much time looking for the other guns that the police will catch them.

bedbugbilly
04-17-2017, 10:03 PM
LOL My answer would be that you can never have enough . . . sort of like guns, bullet molds, etc. I have made many horns over the years but usually either gave them away or ended up selling them with hunting pouches I made - another addicting hobby! I think I am down to two now - a large horn for my trade gun and a smaller "day horn" and pouch for my smaller caliber front stuffers. NOW . . . if you were to ask my wife . . . she'd say "Why do you need two?". I used to have "things" displayed but I learned many years ago that I was better off letting my wife "decorate" and keep my "stuff" in my shop or reloading room.

Horns are all different just like the source they come from. Each one is unique so if you like it, enjoy it and display it if you have a spot. Life's too short not to have a few things to look at and enjoy! :-)

Sasquatch-1
04-18-2017, 07:54 AM
I can't afford one of the ones I like. We have an event that takes place at Ft. Frederick in Maryland in April where real artisan sell their powder horns. Scimeshawed, they run around $800.00. The event is a pre revolutionary war market fair. Lots of period clothing and accessories along with custom made guns.

If local and interested here is the info:

18th Century Market Fair April 27th to 30th

Now in its 23rd year, the Market Fair features the best artisans, craftspeople, and sutlers together with an 18th century encampment. Hours are 9 am to 5 pm Thu, Fri, Sat and 9 am to 3 pm Sun. Sponsored by the Friends of Fort Frederick State Park. Admission Fee Charged.

Check their web site for directions.

waksupi
04-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Would this be a good time to mention I have powder horns for sale? :D

Sasquatch-1
04-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Is there a place they can be viewed at along with a price list?

Would this be a good time to mention I have powder horns for sale? :D

waksupi
04-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Is there a place they can be viewed at along with a price list?
I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. I'm finishing one up today, hopefully. Right now I have a full size horn, and some small hunting horns.

Eddie2002
04-18-2017, 01:00 PM
There is one powder horn maker who I've met at the Alifia River Rendezvous named Gerald Dukes who makes beautiful reproductions of the early horns. He's a little pricey but will do custom work along with horn shot glasses and salt and pepper shakers, I've always been amazed at the quality of his work.

LabGuy
04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
I use this simple formula, Ideal number of powder horns = n + 1, where n is equal to the number you currently have.

OverMax
04-18-2017, 04:44 PM
I can imagine everything else >but< my wages going up & up these days. Some of those hand carved scrimshawed horns garner a pretty respectable price. Maybe above the price of a new traditions even?

stubshaft
04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. I'm finishing one up today, hopefully. Right now I have a full size horn, and some small hunting horns.

Do you have any with a loob groove etched on it???

waksupi
04-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Do you have any with a loob groove etched on it???

As a matter of fact, I do! I'm trying to finish the scrimshaw on one today, and then I will put them up for sale. How many, will depend on how many boxes I have around to ship them in!

waksupi
04-20-2017, 01:18 PM
I'll have this 193667in the sale area shortly. I'm only putting up one today, as I have a shortage of boxes I can ship stuff in!

dondiego
04-20-2017, 03:18 PM
A box is a terrible thang to waste!

Hickory
04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Is having 3 sets of Powder Horns for one rifles use considered kind'a ~~excessive?

I'm thinking 60-70 powder horns might be excessive . . . maybe.

TNsailorman
04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
If you think you need another one---you do. It might help to try to convince the better half that they are an investment for the future. You know, " the people who have the skill to make really lovely horns are getting fewer and fewer and the population just keeps growing", or make up your own story--I mean--logical reason. james

Geezer in NH
04-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Nice Horn!!!! :awesome: