PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection?

fatelk
04-16-2017, 12:51 PM
We've had recent threads on hearing protection as I recall, and I saw this article a couple days ago: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-noise-usa-hearing-idUSKBN17F2P9

Here's a quote from the article that I found interesting:

With firearms, researchers found that one in five people who shot more than 10,000 rounds of ammunition in the past year never used hearing protection. Most of the firearm-related noise exposure came during recreational shooting.

First, how many people besides serious competitors shot ten thousand rounds per year?! I've never shot that many rounds per year in my life. Second, how many serious competitors would NOT wear hearing protection? I find it hard to believe that 20% of very high volume shooters don't use hearing protection.

Then they went on to talk about hearing protection in the workplace. I don't know about you all, but where I work hearing protection is a big deal, and not using it when we're supposed to is a serious offense. My grandfather was almost completely deaf, having worked in a lumber mill and construction for most of his life. I don't want to end up like that.

A few years back I was talking guns with a coworker and I invited him shooting. He said he'd like to go because shooting was fun, but it just hurt his ears too much so he'd rather not. I asked him if he had ever used ear plugs before when shooting guns. Oh, that's a good idea! We ended up going and he enjoyed it.

jsizemore
04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Very few of the ranges I shot at required hearing protection for smallbore hunting rifle silhouette. I practiced that way. All other competitions required hearing protection and I would have wore it even if it wasn't required. I know folks that wore ear plugs and muffs even at smallbore rifle silhouette. I only wore muffs so I could hear range commands.

I only know one carpenter in the area that wears hearing protection at work.

fatelk
04-16-2017, 01:39 PM
I guess I wasn't thinking about .22lr. I used to not use hearing protection for .22, but do now.

I have a young friend who's having the time of his life, making good money roofing houses. I asked him if he wears knee pads. He looked at me like I was crazy, that's for sissies you know. I told him when he's 50 years old and scheduling his knee replacement surgery, he'd wish he had.

Tom W.
04-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Yup, we macho types that knew everything when we were younger thought .22 rimfires couldn't possibly hurt our hearing. And when we went small game hunting with a shotgun, we really didn't shoot that many shells per trip. And how many times are you going to shoot that deer with your centerfire rifle? I worked at a sawmill for 22 years, not worrying about hearing protection, after all, I wasn't inside the mill when I started. I'm 64 now, haven't fired any firearm without hearing protection for over 20 years even when deer hunting, but I waited too late. I suppose in an emergency situation I'd shoot and say "huh?" later, but I've been saying huh? for years now. Lori says I read lips more so than hearing what she says. Those of you who know how much hearing aids cost were probably shocked. I was blessed to be on her insurance when I got mine, , looking at the invoice they were $5000. Shooting without any hearing protection doesn't make you a man, it makes you a deaf fool.

wv109323
04-16-2017, 04:39 PM
I know of no competitive shooting that does not make hearing protection mandatory. Most military teams in Bullseye pistol wear plugs and muffs.
I can not believe that statistic is correct for today's shooters in -America. Years ago that may have been true or it may include foreign militaries.

lightman
04-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Those statistics don't sound right. At least not in todays world.

Josh Smith
04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Before I was married, I was finding the time to shoot around 1,000 .22lr per week. The vast majority was fired prone, and consisted of both practice and bullet testing. I was obsessed with finding the perfect hunting load. This turned out to be, for me, flat nose standard velocity or "Subsonic"-labeled CCI, followed very closely by Remington subsonic. (The Remington loads didn't expand reliably and I had a couple failures to fire pure fifty rounds.)

I wore hearing protection. Not so much because I thought I needed it with the subsonic rounds, but rather because it helped me focus and still does. I tend to be very auditory and blocking sound helps me go into that "bubble" easier.

For me, the hearing protection feature of hearing protection is a secondary consideration. Still a consideration, though!

Regards,

Josh

higgins
04-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Several years ago I offered to loan a spare set of muffs to a fellow who was shooting a centerfire rifle without hearing protection. He declined; such people do still exist. OTOH, several times I have offered spare plugs I carry to someone who left their muffs at home, and they were thrilled to use them. It made me feel good to have spare plugs to offer them because I simply don't see how anyone could shoot without ear protection. I was fortunate to get involved in organized shooting in my early teens, so hearing protection is second nature to me.

gwpercle
04-16-2017, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure I'm ready to take all those figures as gospel fact.
Every shooter I have come in contact with in the last 25 years has worn hearing protection. The two local indoor ranges and the one outdoor range all MANDATE you wear protection, if you don't have it , they will furnish it , no charge ...you will wear hearing protection or you don't shoot. The hearing damage dangers are well known and ear muffs and plugs are affordable and easy to use.
I know more people who don't buckle up their seat belts than those who don't protect their hearing.
Gary

jeepyj
04-16-2017, 05:43 PM
I'd be a but suprized if the shooting folks numbers were that high.The crowd I shoot with all wear hearing protection at all times. Not only that if someone comes along a little late we all wait till that person puts there hearing protecton on before we commence firing again. On another note we shoot around 250 rounds per week minimum some weeks over 500 so I can see that 10,000 round number as being realistic for some but would agree that is a bit high for the average shooter.

CastingFool
04-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Back in 71, when I was in basic training, hearing protection was mandatory. I did forget my earplugs once, and after firing 75 rds, and listening to 100 other guys fire their 75 rounds, I never forgot again. I do wear HP when mowing the lawn, using a chain saw, working in my woodshop, and definitely while target practicing. While hunting, I don't, because of the very limited exposure. I also shot in an indoor league one year, with 22rf. 50ft indoors. HP was a must. Still, I have lost some hearing through the years.

birch
04-16-2017, 06:14 PM
I have a great idea. Why don't we require a 250 dollar stamp and a bunch of paperwork to put a sound suppressor on their firearm?

Rick Hodges
04-17-2017, 08:47 AM
I have known people who have shunned foam ear plugs and all manner of muffs for 38 special cases stuck in the ears. They say huh a lot!

shdwlkr
04-17-2017, 10:49 AM
In basic training in the Army we got our ear plugs the last day on the range. Yes we fired a lot of ammo as I was the ammo truck driver and there were 256 of trainees firing so yes it was loud.

frkelly74
04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
I was watching a young guy shoot without plugs once and when I could I went over and offered him a set and he kind of mumbled a " No thank You'' to me. I replied " huh?'' and laid them on the bench for him and walked away. All his buddies got a kick out of that and he ended up using the plugs.

w5pv
04-17-2017, 11:24 AM
I have lost 60% of my hearing from shooting the artillery gun when I was in the army,in them days there was no such thing as ear protection but in todays world trying to save what little hearing I have left I use soft plugs plus the ear muffs.Protect your hearing as much as possible,I is no fun guessing what some one is trying to tell you especially the younger grand kids.They get frustrated trying to make you understand.For their sake take care of your hearing.It may not matter to you now but in time to come it will.

WickedColt
04-17-2017, 12:16 PM
The only time I don't wear hearing protection is if I shoot the 22lr with CCI Quiet. It is seriously super quiet with my Savage Mark II. When I first got my AR15...I was so excited, went outside and shot a 223 round and it seriously rung my bell!! I've had a couple concussions and that round had me zoned out and just looking wide-eyed. Have not forgotten ear protection since and will not shoot without them now.

Here in FL, they had hearing protection (over the ear) at the Dollar Tree! I picked up 5 pairs and put some tissue behind the weak padding (they are really cheaply made) but they definitely work pretty well if someone forgets theirs!

nemesisenforcer
04-17-2017, 01:38 PM
10000 rounds a year? If I'm lucky but more like 2000 per annum

I'm ocd/psychotic about hearing protection. Never shoot without it never let anyone else shoot without it.

Sur-shot
04-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Look up the rating, actual reduction in decibels, of various hearing "protection" types. Most of the common muffs and plugs are almost useless as protection. A good set of custom molded plugs are worth their weight in gold to protect your hearing. I have been wearing them for over 20 years and the hard molded plugs last a lifetime. I was lucky enough to catch the Game Ear folks set up next to a molded ear protection guy from PA at the Shot Show. Best decision I ever made was to have a set of ear plugs with the Game Ear electronics inserts made at that show. They are literally the best of the best. And just how much is your natural hearing worth to you, because when it is gone, it is gone forever.

On the number of rounds, when I was shooting international competition (now retired), I was buying components in 15K round lots, every quarter, just for one discipline. The top competitors in any shooting sport, shoot constantly and most have a range in their back yard. They do what I have done, buy property they can build a range on, I have a 50 yard wide, 250 yard rifle range on my farm right now. By the way, pretending that you never practice, is the oldest competition trick in the book.
Ed

2ndAmendmentNut
04-17-2017, 03:08 PM
Over the holiday I managed to do a little shooting with family and friends. I brought a few guns, supplied the ammo, and a large box of disposable earplugs. I was surprised how all of the senior members of the family were resistant to using earplugs. I reasoned that they needed to protect what they had left, some took it as an insult to their age. I couldn't imagine regularly practicing without hearing protection. 357s and ARs with muzzle brakes are particularly offensive to the ears.

I wish there wasn't so much paper work involved with suppressors. I don't really care about full autos and SBRs, but I would love to have a can on every rifle I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatelk
04-17-2017, 04:05 PM
I don't want to shoot at all any more without hearing protection, even .22s, though I do miss going for a walk in the woods on the farm with a .22 rifle and plinking. I don't see a few rounds out doors with a .22 rifle as being damaging.

Due to my years of safety training at work, I wear gloves working in the yard or garden, and ear plug mowing the lawn or running a chainsaw. When shooting larger caliber rifles I've noticed that my ears will ring sometimes with just earmuffs, so I'm getting into the habit of doubling up with plugs too.

Bazoo
04-17-2017, 04:11 PM
I have lost some of my hearing from both shooting without earplugs, and working with machinery. I now normally wear plugs when shooting anything except 22 rifle. I sometimes will shoot a few shots of shotgun or 30-30 without them, but it aint common, and it rings my ears.

fatelk
04-17-2017, 09:10 PM
My hearing is very good for my age (mid 40s) but I have been noticing tinnitus more recently. Some days it's worse than others, or maybe I just notice it more.

It funny, sometimes I'll hear a sound when it's quiet in the house, usually a high pitched sound like a beep from a toy or something, and I'll ask my wife "What was that?" I can hear it plain as day, but she can't, at all. It's happened many times. Her hearing is otherwise fine, but certain pitches she can't hear at all.

Tom W.
04-17-2017, 09:43 PM
"I don't see a few rounds out doors with a .22 rifle as being damaging."

Neither did a lot of us. it's a subtle thing.

GL49
04-21-2017, 08:26 PM
My hearing is very good for my age (mid 40s) but I have been noticing tinnitus more recently. Some days it's worse than others, or maybe I just notice it more.

It funny, sometimes I'll hear a sound when it's quiet in the house, usually a high pitched sound like a beep from a toy or something, and I'll ask my wife "What was that?" I can hear it plain as day, but she can't, at all. It's happened many times. Her hearing is otherwise fine, but certain pitches she can't hear at all.

I really don't know how to interpret your post, I don't know if you're serious or not, so here goes. No offense intended. Enjoy it, as a jab at myself.

Yep, my hearing is fine, too. I can hear all kind of clicks, beeps, and ringing all the time. My wife can't hear it at all. Working for 45 years in the wood products industry has really given me good hearing. I'm sure shooting firearms has helped my hearing also.

fatelk
04-21-2017, 09:34 PM
That's a good one, no offense taken at all. :) Actually the noises I hear are real, usually the cat playing with something or a kid sneaking video games in the middle of the night when they're supposed to be sleeping.

In his later years, my grandfather would hear music in his head, just as clear as if it was real. He would repeatedly ask if anyone else could hear the music.

GL49
04-21-2017, 11:33 PM
Ahhh. Somebody with a sense of humor. If you're ever around the Southern Oregon area, stop in, I'll buy the coffee.

JimB..
04-21-2017, 11:54 PM
Was this perhaps a study of militants in middle eastern countries?

fatelk
04-22-2017, 01:50 AM
What part of southern Oregon? That's where I grew up, headed there in a couple weeks to visit family, Coos Bay area.

GL49
04-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Ashland, 14 miles north of the California border, right on I-5. Ashland is..... ummm..... "different". I usually tell people I live "west of Klamath Falls".

Geezer in NH
04-22-2017, 11:50 AM
I have a great idea. Why don't we require a 250 dollar stamp and a bunch of paperwork to put a sound suppressor on their firearm?
Why go up $50 bucks on the tax?

fatelk
04-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Oh, yes, Ashland. I know about Ashland. It is a rather unique place in Southern Oregon; very different from where I grew up. I don't get that far south very often. We're headed to the Coos Bay/ Bandon area in a few weeks. The kids have been looking forward to that for months.

Why go up $50 bucks on the tax?

I had a discussion with a guy a while back, about the proposed "hearing protection act". He was of the opinion that "scary weapons" like silencers and machine guns are way too readily available already. He said that the original intent of the NFA was to make then unattainable by all but the most wealthy because $200 in 1934 was the equivalent, due to inflation, of around $4,000 now.

I replied that statistically these registered NFA weapons are not a crime problem at all, to which he illogically replied that all that proved was that all weapons should be registered. This is a guy that owns a lot of guns.

WickedColt
04-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Oh, yes, Ashland. I know about Ashland. It is a rather unique place in Southern Oregon; very different from where I grew up. I don't get that far south very often. We're headed to the Coos Bay/ Bandon area in a few weeks. The kids have been looking forward to that for months.

I had a discussion with a guy a while back, about the proposed "hearing protection act". He was of the opinion that "scary weapons" like silencers and machine guns are way too readily available already. He said that the original intent of the NFA was to make then unattainable by all but the most wealthy because $200 in 1934 was the equivalent, due to inflation, of around $4,000 now.

I replied that statistically these registered NFA weapons are not a crime problem at all, to which he illogically replied that all that proved was that all weapons should be registered. This is a guy that owns a lot of guns.

Hey, $200 for one is still out of reach today for some people like me haha !! (The wife would put a hurtin' on me, I imagine hahaha). Seriously though, I think they do help protect hearing as I still worry about shooting my 5.56 with protection on as it does reduce decibels by circa 30 ish but it is so loud that over time I imagine if I shoot enough rounds, it will impact my hearing.

starbits
04-25-2017, 12:47 AM
I had a military hearing doc once tell me "You are left handed." Ah- nope. He said usually when the high frequencies were worse in one ear than the other the bad ear was on the opposite side that you normally fired a rifle from. Bad right ear = left handed. Told him he was close, right handed, but I shoot left handed. I always use hearing protection at the range, but I shot a lot of doves and quail in my youth without.

Starbits

375supermag
04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Hi...
I have worn hearing protection, either plugs or muffs for many years, at least 45 years whenever shooting.
Any hearing loss I have from shooting occurred as a teenager...my father never used hearing protection and never discussed it with me.

I may never have shot 10,000 rounds a year but I did shoot somewhere around 6,000 per year for several years when I shot handguns competitively. However, I was probably exposed to 10 times that many rounds fired in matches and practice. If I hadn't worn hearing protection I would probably be as deaf as a fence post by this point in time.

I have lectured my son since the first time I took him to the gun club to always wear hearing protection. He is now 23, fires thousands of rounds per year recreationally and always wears hearing protection(electronic muffs) when shooting although he doesn't wear them when hunting.

I urge everybody to wear hearing protection whenever shooting, hearing loss is preventable.

Blackwater
04-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Eh??? What did you say??? ..... Oh yeah! Wish I'd discovered hearing protection MUCH earlier than I did, and used it MUCH more and much earlier than I did. I now have that constant ringing in my ears the docs call "tinnitus." And it's not terrible, but I also have a "hole" in the frequency ranges I hear. Certain frequencies might as well not exist at all as far as my ears are concerned.

So use hearing protection (I now use both plugs AND muffs) or wind up like me ... or worse. That old saying, "Too soon old, too late smart" is NOT something you ever want to hear applied to you, and the things you did in your younger days! And it's particularly crucial for the young, too, so make SURE they have and USE hearing and eye protection EVERY time they shoot. No exceptions, except maybe in the field after game. I got some muffs and glasses in a pkg. from Midsouth Shooters when my grandboys were wanting to learn to shoot. I wish Dad had known to do that when I was young, but as a Marine, the most he ever did was stuff two cigarette filters in his ears, and usually didn't even do that.

If you think you don't need ear protection, try listening to total, absolute silence some time. I think it'll change your mind.

robg
04-25-2017, 05:19 PM
I use plugs and muffs on indoor ranges have a moderator/silencer on my 1022 ,but rabbit shooting outdoors I rely on the moderator .I think I've done more damage to my ears riding motorbikes for 40 + years as my sole means of transport .ear plugs effected my balance on a bike.

gatortommy
04-28-2017, 03:11 PM
I shoot a lot of USPSA so I average 20-30,000 rounds a year. I'd be deaf if I didn't plug up. Heck, I wear muffs when I use the leaf blower.

RGrosz
04-28-2017, 04:32 PM
My story is, started hunting mid '60's. Mostly rabbits and squirrels with a 22 or 410. Never heard of HP. joined the USAR in 1970, hound out quick what ear plugs were and what happens when you don't use them. After one time when the Drill Sargent corrects your misbehavior you don't want a second time. Was in a USAR unit that had 105's Arty. and ended up the small arms instructor for the bn. While on my range and around the tubes, ear plugs were mandatory. A lot of civy jobs they were too. Ended up on the ARCOM's completive arms team. Once again HP was mandatory. Had good hearing going into the USAR, not too good when retired but still not deaf. Do some hunting with a 22 with out hp but most shooting I have to wear muffs at least. My wife says I have some hearing loss but I can't tell.

Rob