PDA

View Full Version : TICKS... are here in S.E. Minnesota(2017).

JBinMN
04-15-2017, 09:38 PM
I take out my Choc. LAb & our Australian Shepard almost every day to let them run out in the woods, & as it gets warmer, to swim in a local trout stream.

Today was the first day I found a tick. ON "ME".

SO, if ya have dogs, or lil children, etc... Including yourselves... and are in more Northern climes...

THEY are Back!

BE prepared & get ready!

nedlate
04-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Our ticks showed up last month here in Lewiston Idaho! Yucky!!
Ed

shoot-n-lead
04-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Yeah...and the turds are in Washington, D.C...Franken is one of them.

JBinMN
04-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Yeah...and the turds are in Washington, D.C...Franken is one of them.

yep He sure is, Along with Sen. Klobuchar... Don't forget Ellison & all the rest of them too.

I am talking about the blood sucking ones that are out in the woods & fields. Eventually, by legislation & not by actually spending any time there... they will prolly be out in the woods & fiels too.. Until then...
Those types are in the cities... They spend most of their time there.. Likely they are a problem there too..

Doubt you will find them in the woods & fields, though...

BTW...Nice try at politicizing the topic. Them politicians are Blood suckers too, so I guess that is on topic.
LOL

But... I was talking about the spidery type insects that actually live in the outdoors.
Thanks!
:)

shoot-n-lead
04-15-2017, 10:10 PM
yep He sure is, Along with Sen. Klobuchar... Don't forget Ellison & all the rest of them too.

I am talking about the blood sucking ones that are out in the woods & fields. Not so much in the cities...
Doubt you will find them in the woods & fields...

Nice try at politicizing the topic. They are Blood suckers too, so I guess that is on topic.

I was talking about the spidery type insects that actually live in the outdoors.
Thanks!

I wasn't trying to politicize the topic...just a poor attempt at a little humor.

JBinMN
04-15-2017, 10:18 PM
All OK!

I don't like them one bit either, if ya did not notice.
LOL
:D

birch
04-15-2017, 11:58 PM
They are getting horrible in northern Michigan as well. 10 years ago, there were none to be found. Now they are thick as thieves.

Our chickens d keep them down a bit in our yard, but whenever we walk in the woods we do a check when we come inside.

richhodg66
04-16-2017, 07:03 AM
We didn;t have much of a Winter and they are bad as a result this year. Had a couple dug into me after just doing some shooting outside here. Gonna have to get some permethrin and wear only the treated clothes when I do stuff around here.

10 ga
04-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Here, anytime the ambient temps get to 60+ day and 50+ overnite the ticks and such crawl. I gotten ticks in every month of the year. Had 2 episodes of bitten by a tick infected with Lyme. Seems I get the bullseye real big when they get me. Yeah, 1st time it was 12 weeks of Biaxin, 2nd I was already on antibiotics for abscess tooth so a slight change of meds and only 6 weeks of treatment. Had a fellow church member get Lyme 3 years ago and he died in 17 months and never recovered or got over the infection, slow painful and debilitating spreading infection. Yeah, I spray the clothes every day I'm outside in the yard, garden or wherever. 10

bedbugbilly
04-16-2017, 07:01 PM
We took our two dogs to the Vet on Saturday for their annual check-up and shot updates. The woman Vet that we go to said that they started seeing ticks here where we are in south central MI back in February due to the mild winter they had here. So far. we haven't seen any yet but I have to start raking the yard and leaves this next week so will be on the look out for them.

It's odd . . . when we were kids here in MI, we were outdoors on the farm all the time or in the woods and I don't ever remember picking up ticks - they were a thing you got up north in the woods. Now . . . just walking the dogs in the yard and short grass and they show up. Yep . . we have a lot more deer now but I always thought it a bit odd we didn[t have them as kids but we do now . . . . "prolific" doesn't begin to describe it at times now.

birch
04-16-2017, 07:10 PM
What part of Michigan are you folks from?

bubba.50
04-17-2017, 12:11 AM
picked a couple off my clothes after mowin' the yard the other day then got one off my scalp the next day. since the she-griz's leg is still tryin' to rot off from a tick bite she got about 4 years ago I'll be paranoid for a month & spazzin' over every li'l' symptom both real & imagined.

DougGuy
04-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Y'all need some chickens! Chickens will rid an entire yard of ticks in about a day..

bubba.50
04-17-2017, 01:17 AM
Y'all need some chickens! Chickens will rid an entire yard of ticks in about a day..

with all the coyotes around here you'd hafta keep'em penned up or buy more chickens every time ya turn around so, that wouldn't work.

Screwbolts
04-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Ticks are also real nasty in Central NY, I came in with 5 crawling on me last Wed. The first on I found on me was over a month ago, they were active most of the mild winter here. I have been using Lavender oil on my ankles, wrists and around my neck ever since. My wife put the oil in a roller bottle thing and it only takes a moment to apply in the morning before I go out side.

I have ordered a Baltic Amber necklace also, My daughter and son in law swear by them. Brad works some as a logger and they have been tick free all year. They check their horses daily and remove ticks almost daily from them.

Ken

WickedColt
04-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Seriously? That's awesome! My daughter begged me for 4 chickens when she got all A's on her report card...in the 4th grade...so we did and we are letting them roam around in our yard. I did not know this, thanks!

Also, here in FL, snakes have come out quicker and bigger...not hardly a Winter (it stopped by for a cup of coffee) so they are out and about. Saw 3 snakes last Summer...saw 3 last month.

jmort
04-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Ticks, chiggers, deer flys, and stinging insects.
Lot of that joy here.

RU shooter
04-17-2017, 01:19 PM
They are getting horrible in northern Michigan as well. 10 years ago, there were none to be found. Now they are thick as thieves.

Our chickens d keep them down a bit in our yard, but whenever we walk in the woods we do a check when we come inside.

thats about when they started showing up here in western Pa. When I was a kid (47 now)I lived in the woods and fields sun up till sun down . Never knew what a tick was or even seen one well except on the belly and armpits of deer we killed . Never ever had one crawling on my cloths or skin ! Now you can't walk through the yard without those little buggers getting on your pant leg . Hate them with a passion !

dragon813gt
04-17-2017, 01:30 PM
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/images/maps/2015-dot-map.jpg

Ticks are the only thing I worry about in this area. Don't have to worry about tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, poisonous animals or chiggers. But the ticks are thick. Spent a couple hundred last year treating my dog for it. He doesn't seem effected by it. But it's a disease we know very little about. If you really want to worry watch the documentary "Under Our Skin". It will make you think about alzheimers and dementia as well.

3leggedturtle
04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Ticks are out by Brainerd too. More deer ticks than woodticks! Todd/3leg

bdicki
04-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Dawn dish soap on a cotton ball or Q tip and rotate on the tick counterclockwise to remove them.

DanWoz
04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Strange. Same thing in Europe - when we were kids, none catched a tick, as far as I can remember. Only out dogs did. Now, the ticks are literally crawling on us if we forget permethrin and DEET(which got its own side effects).

JBinMN
04-17-2017, 08:30 PM
That map shown, By Dragon813gt, will kind of show ya one of the reasons I posted the topic.

Here in this area of Minnesota, we are in a pretty infested area. I live pretty much in that "blob" in the TC(Mnpls/St.Paul) area. Just on the SE edge of that "Blob". in the East Central part of the state...
I have had those "bullseyes" before, but keep coming up "negative" for Lymes when tested... I already have some arthritis & don't need more issues. I keep having them test since the "arthritis" symptoms are similar to the Lymes in some ways...

Anyway, regardless of your area...

Keep a good eye out for them, particularly on your pets & children. Ya don't want them to have the issues & they are less likely to know if they have the tick on them, before the lil buggers get attached.

Be safe folks.
;)

tinsnips
04-17-2017, 10:58 PM
They have showed up in western North Dakota .

zymguy
04-18-2017, 12:23 AM
I had one up in ely on easter. Its going to be a bad year for them. Wish i could take the chewables the dog gets.

WickedColt
04-18-2017, 10:44 AM
That map shown, By Dragon813gt, will kind of show ya one of the reasons I posted the topic.

Here in this area of Minnesota, we are in a pretty infested area. I live pretty much in that "blob" in the TC(Mnpls/St.Paul) area. Just on the SE edge of that "Blob". in the East Central part of the state...
I have had those "bullseyes" before, but keep coming up "negative" for Lymes when tested... I already have some arthritis & don't need more issues. I keep having them test since the "arthritis" symptoms are similar to the Lymes in some ways...

Anyway, regardless of your area...

Keep a good eye out for them, particularly on your pets & children. Ya don't want them to have the issues & they are less likely to know if they have the tick on them, before the lil buggers get attached.

Be safe folks.
;)

We've seen an uptick in Lyme disease in Florida for sure. It's scary because it's for life (if I remember correctly it only goes into remission). Not fun at all!

Sur-shot
04-18-2017, 11:31 AM
The year has already started with the ticks and snakes in NW FL. We have the normal nasty ticks, I use dog or/and cat flea and tick spray on my pants legs and my boots, keeps the crawling critters down pretty well and is easy to use. Here soon, we will have the yellow flies out in droves, real nasty if you are allergic to their anticoagulant enzyme, can leave a large blister and enough bites will put a person into anaphylactic shock, similar to multiple bee stings. Deep Woods Off seems to do the job to keep them away. We have eastern diamondbacks that do not rattle (wild hogs eat the ones that rattle) and copperheads that are gray and black (they look like a pecan limb laying on the ground). So right now it is good to take precautions and watch where you walk on the FL, AL and FL, GA border areas.
Ed

MaryB
04-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Had a couple on me after pulling the irrigation out of the garden so I can till it. The big dog ticks though, deer ticks are pretty rare out on the prairie. They don't like my blood and just crawl around on me and creep me out. I spend the rest of the night with the creepy crawlies... hate them things!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2017, 11:13 AM
I have a friend that worries a lot about ticks. I was visiting their farm for Easter, we went for a hike into the woods as well as his veggie fields, he found a tick, and just about had a panic attack, and ran back to the house to change and check 'everywhere'. I just laughed, the ticks don't bother me too much...I rarely find one on me? if I feel one, I pick it off and move on...maybe it's all the garlic I eat?

375supermag
04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Hi...
Ticks have been a problem here in southcentral Pennsylvania for my whole life, or at least back into the mid-1960s.
FWIW, my dogs have had ticks on them even in the depths of very cold winters (despite getting regular treatments for fleas and ticks).
Our vets says that is not unusual for this area.

I have killed deer in rifle season(starts the Monday after Thanksgiving) that were covered in ticks.

MaryB
04-19-2017, 10:50 PM
I went with my dad to scout campsites along the river for my brothers boy scout troop and the girl scouts who were doing a combined canoe trip. We found a great spot we thought, walked through a strip f 4' tall grass near the river but a great flat spot up past that. We got back to the truck and I noticed 8 ticks on my leg, then more on my arm, then more IN my pants... dad was just as covered. We stripped to our underwear right there on the road and removed over 100 ticks each. Wrote off camping in that spot! Found a nice sand bar 5 miles further downriver.