PDA

View Full Version : Miserable Range Trip

Bzcraig
04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
For the first time, I had a pretty miserable day at the range shooting my rifles but thankfully pistol shooting was good. Rifle 1, Ruger 223 bolt gun: chamber a round, realize I forgot to turn on chrony, pull on bolt to open, needs some extra effort, boolit stuck in bore. Nope, no rod! Rifle 2: Ruger 308 bolt; First round misses 9" pie plate at 25yds, pull bolt, bore sight, adjust scope, same outcome after 11 rounds fired, give up. Will change scope and try again. Rifle 3: 80% lower attached to a SAA 300BO upper, sweet using factory ammo. Rifle 4: Spikes lower mated to Delton 223 upper, lock bolt back, insert mag, release bolt, aim and click. Drop mag, eject round, no primer strike at all. These were my loads using jacketed. Long story short, got it all worked out but geeshhh!

jonp
04-15-2017, 08:15 PM
My wife and I packed up our rifles, targets etc and drove the 20 miles or so to the range. Got the rifles, rests, targets etc out and on the tables and.....put it all back in the truck because our ammo was sitting on the kitchen table at home.

JWT
04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Bad day at the range beats any day at work.

Bzcraig
04-15-2017, 08:55 PM
My wife and I packed up our rifles, targets etc and drove the 20 miles or so to the range. Got the rifles, rests, targets etc out and on the tables and.....put it all back in the truck because our ammo was sitting on the kitchen table at home.

Done that too!

Teddy (punchie)
04-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Last week got to range. Had lock on the gun Keys at home, we cut the lock. Good thing Buddy had the garage keys:groner: and there were bolt cutters there. [smilie=b:

sghart3578
04-16-2017, 12:22 AM
For me it has gotten so bad that I made myself a checklist. I go down the list before I leave home.

It has saved me a couple of times.

Artful
04-16-2017, 12:29 AM
For me it has gotten so bad that I made myself a checklist. I go down the list before I leave home.

This is were I am at now
- worst one was 3 hour drive to shoot and left ALL the M14 magazines at home
- NOW no gun goes into a case without a magazine in it.
- That way you at least have one!

shoot-n-lead
04-16-2017, 12:35 AM

I resemble this remark...

Col4570
04-16-2017, 02:32 AM
The times I have seen Shooters arrive at the Range only to find they have left the rifle Bolt at Home.I had a spell of forgetting my Spotting Scope.The logistics of assembling your gear can be daunting early morning.

smokeywolf
04-16-2017, 05:11 AM
Last trip to the range; took the 1911 and ammo, left the magazines in a case by the front door.

Col4570, I call your forgotten spotting scope and raise you... Thought* I forgot my spotting scope. After 3-1/2 hours of shooting, packing up to leave the range and go home, discovered spotting scope and tripod in the bottom of my range bag.

FISH4BUGS
04-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Load up all the ammo, load up the guns, check the paperwork for the AOW, SBR's and suppressors, extra mags, targets, drove to the range and no muffs. So much for THAT range trip.

Skunk1
04-16-2017, 07:15 AM
This last Wednesday, the daughter and I went out to the range after some begging on her part. Got out there, got everything out and ready. Let's go put up our paper plates. They were still sitting on the counter at home. Ended up digging some used targets out of the trash. To make it just a bit worse, it had just rained so we had to be careful with the soggy used targets.

quack1
04-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Even though the range is only 4 miles away, it still was irritating when I forgot something and had to go back home to get it. So, I gathered up everything I might ever need at the range, other than guns and ammo, and put it all in 2 plastic milk crates. Targets, sandbags, loading notebook, chronograph, spotting scope, muffs, a few simple tools, even the key for the gate at the range. There is even enough space left over in one of the crates for the ammo for each trip. Cuts down on the chance of forgetting things when all you need to remember are the crates, ammo and guns. I did that about 20 years ago and haven't had to return home for anything (so far).

Handloader109
04-16-2017, 12:40 PM
I just walk back inside to get what I forgot!!!!!!!! (I've do some of the above before we moved here)

koehn,jim
04-16-2017, 12:49 PM
I solved the problem some years back, I took an old tool case and made spaces for all the extra things I use. Spotting scope staple gun targets, ear muffs and glasses. My weapons all have extra mags in with them. So far it has saved me a lot of aggravation. It also keeps everything easy to find.

robg
04-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Been there, got to the range left magazines at home .luckily guy lent me one of his .done the same for others since then .

GL49
04-18-2017, 12:55 AM
I solved the problem some years back, I took an old tool case and made spaces for all the extra things I use. Spotting scope staple gun targets, ear muffs and glasses. My weapons all have extra mags in with them. So far it has saved me a lot of aggravation. It also keeps everything easy to find.
Yep, grab one box, and all the accessories you need at the range are already accounted for and in place. But when you show up at the range with three 44 magnums, and the ammo can you brought is full of .357's when you open it, well..........

Col4570
04-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Last trip to the range; took the 1911 and ammo, left the magazines in a case by the front door.

Col4570, I call your forgotten spotting scope and raise you... Thought* I forgot my spotting scope. After 3-1/2 hours of shooting, packing up to leave the range and go home, discovered spotting scope and tripod in the bottom of my range bag.
It can get even worse when organising Black Powder gear and your Range Rod is at Home with your Priming Flask where you put them so as not to forget them.

rmark
04-21-2017, 01:09 PM
'It can get even worse when organising Black Powder gear and your Range Rod is at Home'

Yep, I've done that.

Circuit Rider
04-21-2017, 08:12 PM
75 yo and have never forgotten anything. You young pups in too much of a hurry. By the way, got some great mountain property around Destin,Fl for sale. CR

shoot-n-lead
04-21-2017, 08:22 PM
My son and I shot this afternoon...we both stunk it up...I have an excuse...but, he is a great shooter.

Just means we will have to shoot again, soon...to clean up the record.

gatortommy
04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Done that. Now I try to run though the list of what I need before I leave home.