PDA

View Full Version : Going to try something new......

snowwolfe
04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
A battery chainsaw:
http://www.echocordless.com/products/chain-saw/

This model has pretty good reviews. Only thing I don't like is it is heavy. Price was good at $270 as it includes the battery, saw, and charger. I do not expect it to replace any of my gas saws. But when I need to do a short job this will be easy to grab. No muss, no fuss, just turn it on and squeeze the trigger. A lot less noise and no starting issues or worrying about the carb gumming up if the saw sits to long with gas in it. Should get 30-45 minutes of solid run time out of a charge.

Time will tell if the money was well spent. I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks after using the saw a couple of times.

farmerjim
04-13-2017, 09:44 AM
I have the B&D 40V one. It works great.

mold maker
04-13-2017, 09:56 AM
A gummed up carb or a dead battery that won't charge, both equal frustration, and a heavy paperweight.
A gummed up carb can be avoided or cleaned, while all batteries eventually die, even if just sitting on the shelf. Some only take a couple months to expire.
Good luck, and make use of it while it works.
My 60s McCulla (sp) still does what I ask of it, but I have at least 7 useless batteries for drills etc.

snowwolfe
04-13-2017, 10:03 AM
The saw, charger, and battery are warranted for 5 years. I am OK with that.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-13-2017, 10:05 AM
It looks a lot like my Husky and Stihl gas powered saws. Hope it works out for you.

Omega
04-13-2017, 10:05 AM
I have an corded electric saw, a poulan if I'm not mistaken, that works surprisingly well. I also got an electric pole saw from Harbor freight that has performed well. I use these around the house for light cutting jobs, but have felled a couple of 12" trees with the poulan. I do have a Stihl and a poulan gas chainsaw for heavier work, but these electric motor saws have come a long way. I don't doubt that these battery operated saws will do fine, and if maintained well the batteries will last for years.

jmort
04-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Thinking that is good choice. Will probably get one my self as I get large downed trees that block roads/paths on occasion, and a gas saw would sit. The lack of loud noise and no need for hearing protection are big pluses as well. For smaller stuff I have been using a cordless sawzall. I like it.

runfiverun
04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
I have a couple of gas saws sitting here somewhere.
I generally grab the 16" 50$ electric saw for most yard chores, or the saws-all for 4" limbs and such.

RogerDat
04-13-2017, 11:03 AM
I buy electric (battery) yard equipment because there is no way wife will pull start a gas one. Weed whip is best example. But maintaining the batteries is a PITA. She likes to set aside the dead one and leave it, then use the second battery. And maybe just maybe one will get put back on the charger. That said if maintained battery powered tools are pretty convenient.

xs11jack
04-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Just had the opportunity this week to use 3 different saws, a Stihl, a Polan, and Worx (Harbor Freight I think) The Worx is 120 volt, the other two gas. The Stihl is light and powerful for it's size, the Polan was the same size bar as the rest but larger and heavy. The Worx was quite abit heaver than the rest which surprised me and it got quirky after a while to the point I couldn't keep the chain on at all. The Stihl was the best but cost was a lot higher than the electric and I thought the Polan was to heavy.
Ole Jack

snowwolfe
04-15-2017, 02:09 PM
If anyone is interested:
https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/best-battery-powered-chainsaw-shootout/29018/

beezapilot
04-15-2017, 05:14 PM
My neighbor has a generator in a wagon that he hauls all over his place, uses electric pressure washers, chain saws, and the like- no batteries ever.

shoot-n-lead
04-15-2017, 05:19 PM
I have a couple of gas saws sitting here somewhere.
I generally grab the 16" 50$ electric saw for most yard chores, or the saws-all for 4" limbs and such.

X 2 on the saws-all use...I use the cordless saws-all models a lot in the yard and in the woods trimming shooting lanes and such. Matter of fact, I keep mine on the utv...just a handy tool to have.

JWT
04-15-2017, 05:44 PM
One of my coworkers lost a big piece of his house and his gun collection to a fire due to a cordless tool battery sitting in the charger. Firemen told him that batteries left in the charger start more fires than you would think.

Bzcraig
04-15-2017, 09:01 PM
One of my coworkers lost a big piece of his house and his gun collection to a fire due to a cordless tool battery sitting in the charger. Firemen told him that batteries left in the charger start more fires than you would think.

Cell phones too now.....