PDA

View Full Version : Quickload question

dromia
07-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Ok any quickload users out there.

I've put in all the actual cartridge dimension data, charge data and chronoed the loads.

They consistently come out 100fps lower than the Quickload prediction, is there any way of working back from the actual velocity so as to get the right settings for this cartridge.

The only variables I can see in the programme are weighting factor and powder characteristics.

Any advice.

TCLouis
07-13-2008, 08:58 AM
is actually pretty dang good agreement from a computer simulation to actual measured chrono data. If all else fails (since you said it is "consistent) is to add 100 fps and go on.

Quickload after all, is a model that does the best it can, to simulate all of the variables in the gun, cartridge at the time of firing. Either Quickload is a little liberal with calculated velocity, or your gun is what is known as a "slow gun".

I know the author of the program visits the Quickload section over at 24 hour campfire and I am sure he can tell you if there is a way to modify input if you have a consistent 100 fps difference.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/67/page/1

I may well be that the thing to do is to just remember the 100 fps and use that in any ballistics modeling inputs.

Heck, compare velocities with any reloading manual, then 100 fps may be less of issue after you do that. Blue Dot is the ONLY powder I have ever tested that met and exceeded book velocities.

Boerrancher
07-13-2008, 09:32 AM
100 FPS? You can go to your local gun shop, pick up 3 guns that look identical, same make, model, chambering, barrel length etc, take them to the range and use the same ammo, and find 100 FPS difference between all three of them. To prove this point, have you ever seen any 2 rifles shoot the same load exactly the same? I know I never have. I think your 100 FPS computer simulation is as close as you are going to get and still keep it realistic.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dromia
07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Thank you for your input gentlemen and the 24hrcampfire link.

I'm not complaining about the discrepancy.

But now that I know my rifle is "slow" or whatever in relation to this program my question is can the program compensate for this for future applications to this rifle, if you get my meaning.

mike in co
07-13-2008, 01:21 PM
yes there are several things you can do to get the program to show your velocity , with your powder, in your gun.

the simplest thing is to do a volume check on your case. it may be bigger than the data base case.
this could be the cause of you lower speed.
the tool will allow you to add a new case to the data base. so add yours and redo the data. if still not at your speed, increase the case vol a little at a time and see if you can get to your speed.

your lot of powder may differ and you can play with the energy level temporary only, just log the number for future use.

mike in co

500bfrman
07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a load that was off thee hundred fps. I was told to quit my whining. Yeah I don't have that gun anymore.