PDA

View Full Version : .50 Mold Score!

Josh Smith
04-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Hello,

I went to the gunshop yesterday to see if they had a Steyr m95. They didn't, but I found a couple molds laying with the reloading presses and dies.

I couldn't use the first one I picked up -- too big.

The second, however, was a 0.499". I have a .50, and my wife has a much nicer .50. Score! The mold looks to be brass, and maybe a Lyman design. Excellent shape, 20 bucks.

Though I prefer to shoot patched round balls, my wife isn't the technical type and so would prefer to just shove a boolit down on top of the charge. She enjoys crafts, and it's not totally out of the question that she might just enjoy casting these, too.

A question, though: I currently have wheel weight lead in the pot. Is this acceptable for the maxiball, or should I stick with pure lead? I do occasionally cast round balls from wheel weight lead when I want more penetration from them, but I'm not sure about maxiball designs.

Would it start OK with WW?

Regards,

Josh

rmark
04-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Go with soft lead for maxi or minie bullets. Maxis usually slip fit the base and engrave on the upper band when loading, the base may not swell to grip the rifling with harder lead.