PDA

View Full Version : Partial Leementing of 2 cavity Lee .452 mold yielded some results. Also a question...

jamesp81
04-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Anyone who has read my threads know that I've had some problems with undersized 45 caliber pistol bullets from two Lee molds, a 2 cavity and 6 cavity, both 200gr SWC design.

I did a partial Leementing on the 2 cavity mold, figuring if I botched it up I'm only out about 20 dollars. I used the lead through a nut method to lap both cavities with valve grinding compound. I followed that with lapping with comet cleanser to polish. I also improved be venting by using a Brownells stone (normally used for polishing sears for trigger jobs) to round the top edges of the mold. Now, instead of dropping undersize and oblong from .451 to .454, they now drop oblong .452-.453 to .454. So they are still a little out of round, but no longer undersized. This is an acceptable condition for now.

The finish in the cavities left by the comet is still rougher than I'd like, and you can tell on the texture of the bullets. While it's aesthetically displeasing to look at, they are properly sized so I'm not going to complain. I will load and shoot these and see what kind of results I get.

I have not done the same process on the 6 cavity mold, and I'm seriously leaning towards not doing it. The bottom line is that I bought the cheapest molds I could find, and I got what I paid for.

I'm thinking real seriously about going with "buy once, cry once" on my next mold purchase. I am interested in Accurate Molds. I'd like to get something with 4 or 5 cavities, and I'm wondering what the best mold material is. So far, my only casting experience is with Aluminum, which Accurate Molds has as an option. Should I stick with that, or is there a good reason to try iron or brass? Do either of those offer any advantages?

If I go this route, I'll be looking for a 2oogr 45 caliber pistol mold, most likely an H&G68 or similar design, as similar bullets have shot very well in my 1911 previously.

Edit:I'm also looking at MP Molds. Also looks to be good quality, for a little cheaper. It looks what I want is only available in 4 cavity brass.

Alstep
04-10-2017, 12:01 AM
I've got an Accurate 453-200H, 4 cav iron, H&G 68 copy. Absolutely the best mold I own.

jamesp81
04-10-2017, 12:17 AM
I've got an Accurate 453-200H, 4 cav iron, H&G 68 copy. Absolutely the best mold I own.

Is there anything about iron that makes it better than aluminum?

Tackleberry41
04-10-2017, 08:21 AM
There is a trick to leementing. First is to get rid of anything you dont want leemented. I messed up a 300gr mold as it leemented the gas check shank so was murder to put them on after that. And you can make the nose to big. I use linotype, they tend to cast bigger. I lathe off the nose and gas check shank if it has one. Then theres is the set screw for the sprue plate screw, and of course stoning the sprue plate.

Once you factor in your time, your right about the price for a better mold. I fixed the Lees I had, but buy NOE or other brands now. Saves alot of effort.

jcren
04-10-2017, 09:33 AM
JB's bore paste is great to finish polishing the cavity without removing much metal.

runfiverun
04-10-2017, 10:42 AM
steel molds hold the heat better than aluminum, so does brass.
brass is heavy, aluminum is light.
brass has it's own problems.
the break in on them is a little harder and you can get splotches of tin stuck on the mold.
once they are paitna'd though they are wonderful to work with.

aluminum molds also need the little break in period of heat cycles to get going.
your working all the oil out of them and also oxidizing the surface of the mold.

with steel molds your basically just getting all the cutting oil out of the cavity's and getting the blued surface on the cavity walls.

about the only thing that would influence my choice of the three, is humidity where I live and the weight I wanna [or can] hold out on the end of the handles.

some notes between the makers.
if Mihec has the mold in stock you'll get it shipped quickly, if not your gonna have to wait for it to cycle through his group buy stuff.

if NOE has it in stock, same thing, quick shipping.
Al's molds generally pour about .002 oversized.
his re-run cycles seem to be a bit shorter, and I doubt your gonna beat his customer service.

Accurate.
you just fill out the order form, send an E-mail letting Tom know what you want and what your alloy is and he will help guide you through clicking the appropriate boxes on the order form.
then wait about 2 weeks for your mold.

pakmc
04-10-2017, 02:11 PM
I have about 20 Lee molds, 2 and 6 hole. I have 6 Accurate molds. the Accurate molds are far superior. I use Toms Aluminum molds . I just can't afford all the ones that I want. so I have to pick and chose. and NOE are very good also, I've been very happy with the Accurate molds. The trick is get any mold clean, really clean. and then heat it till the spruce plate "blues" and you good to go.

TexasGrunt
04-10-2017, 02:19 PM
What's the thought on Arsenal molds?

Adam20
04-10-2017, 02:36 PM
What's the thought on Arsenal molds?
i have 2 arsenal molds, after a few drops getting mold to correct temp there great, drop right out perfect. They run .002 over with coww. Tried lee was undersized and a fight to cast good. Custom molds are so much more enjoyable to use, the price difference is long forgotten.

Edit: both arsenal are aluminum. I keep seeing pictures of brass molds and will have have to get one, most likely from noe

TexasGrunt
04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Thanks,

I've been wondering about them. The price is good. I just don't see a lot of talk about them.

AKholicBubba
11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
I've got 2 lee 2 cav and 1 lee 6cav with no issue so far.

OS OK
11-28-2017, 02:08 PM
My first brass mould, wasn't much trouble cleaning and heat cycling...yep, it's brass and heavy but it casts like a 'house a fire'...you can have a RNFP or a HP with cup or penta cavity, cast a mix of these or all the same just change pins, all supplied with the mould.

I will buy this brand again...

Boolseye
11-28-2017, 05:28 PM
A five or six cav brass or iron mold will weigh a lot, a real factor particularly if you want to cast a lot. 90% of my molds are aluminum, my favorite mold material. Conducts heat beautifully, plenty rugged and cast great boolits.

gwpercle
11-28-2017, 06:14 PM
I found Comet to be extremely course , I don't know who first suggested it but after feeling the paste with my fingers I didn't use it on a Lee Mould. I first used JB Bore compound then I found cans of automotive rubbing compound and polishing compound (in my garage) and finished the job with them. Came out very nice.
Aluminum is way too soft to be using Comet on it.
Gary

Boolseye
11-28-2017, 07:19 PM
I used it on a couple molds with no ill effects. It’s easy to overdo it with ANY compound.
The boolits I get out of that mold get a lot of praise for their accuracy from friends.

OS OK
11-28-2017, 08:47 PM
I found Comet to be extremely course , I don't know who first suggested it but after feeling the paste with my fingers I didn't use it on a Lee Mould. I first used JB Bore compound then I found cans of automotive rubbing compound and polishing compound (in my garage) and finished the job with them. Came out very nice.
Aluminum is way too soft to be using Comet on it.
Gary

Yeah, same observation about Comet here too...I used the 'rubbing compound' for faded paint on autos...worked like a charm.
Just take your time and check incrementally on your progress...aluminum cuts fast.

marshhawk
11-30-2017, 02:01 PM
I have had good luck using Semi Chrome Polish to finish leementing a mold!

Marshhawk!