PDA

View Full Version : Stupid sizing question

OKIE
07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I just bought at 357 mag, bought a lee mold to try out. I have a lyman 4500 sizer. My local store did not have a lyman sizer 358 die, so I bought the RCBS, the guy said they are interchangeable. Now the stupid question, when I try to size and lube the new bootlits, the bootlits don't sink deep enough to pick up the lube, it does not appear that my Lyman will push them deep enough, is it the RCBS sizer or am I doing something wrong? HELP. I am using an old bullet to get them deep enough right now, does not seem to me to be the best fix. Thanks in advance!

OKIE

oneokie
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Did you get a top punch with the 4500 or with the sizing die? Sounds like you do not have a top punch installed.

Welcome to the forum.

Christian for Israel
07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
i have no experience with RCBS or lyman sizers but lee sizers are only $10 and work with your regular press...

OKIE
07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I am using a top punch I had, seems to fit the bullet nose, The problem is to get the lube on the bootlit it has to go all the way down the sizer and bottom out, my 44 does not need to do this. Not sure what else to do.

OKIE.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sizer dies and top punches for Lyman and RCBS lubrisizers are totally interchangeable. Its been like that for a long time now. You should have a top punch that matches the shape of the boolit nose; it is held in place with an "allen" type setscrew----over the/concentric to- the boolit sitting in the sizing die and pushes the boolit down into the sizing die....far enough to size it and allow the lube to flow into the grease groove(s). You have to put some pressure on the lube to get it to flow...not too much or it starts to squeeze out in various places and has to be cleaned up.Then the lower part of the lubrisizer has to be adjusted to bring the boolit up out of the sizing die---on the upstroke. It takes a little bit of fiddling/trial and error and patience, but it'll work fine. Its the fastest and some folks think the most convenient way to size and lube boolits, but its not the only way, nor necessarily the best way. There are different theories and opinions. Lee uses a different concept and markets a reasonably priced kit that pushes the prelubed boolits thru a sizing die nose first(by pushing on the base) so no varying shaped nose punches are needed. It is a slower method but it works fine. Never hesitate to ask any question that you have on anything to do with casting or reloading. No one on this forum popped into the world with their hand on a loading press or a lubrisizer and each member knows what its like to have a problem or a question answered, so join the ranks and one day you'll be helping others too. Good shooting. LLS

Le Loup Solitaire
07-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Hello again. In reflecting on your last post.....I believe that you have the return die underneath the sizing die set too high and its not letting the boolit come down deep enough into the sizer. That is why you are not getting enough of the boolit sized and probably not getting it totally lubed. Try changing the nut settings on the return die adjustment to provide for more clearance on the downstroke. like I said in my first post it will take some trial and error to get the right setting. LLS

Dale53
07-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Call Lyman and ask them to send you a "Manual" for the lube/sizer. If you have a .44 nose punch, even if the nose shape is the same, the greater diameter of the .44 nose punch will NOT allow the bullet to go into the die far enough to get sized properly NOR to get lubed properly. That may possibly be the problem.

Dale53

OKIE
07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks all, tied all the suggestions, used a smaller top punch, it fits in sizer, still will not go down all the way, also made sure the bottom adjustment screw was not stopping it, it is not. I will keep trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

OKIE
07-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Will a sizer work upside down? I might try that.

oneokie
07-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Is the handle installed backwards? That will cause what you are describing.

OKIE
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I think it is a top punch problem should the top punch go all the way into the sizer? That's what it will have to do to get the bootlit deep enough to lube.

montana_charlie
07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Is it possible that you installed the sizing die upside down? That might place the lube holes way down deep...especially if there are only two rows.

Your top punch should have a smaller OD than your bullet.
CM

OKIE
07-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks Montana- and everyone else. I will check both. I did not know the punch should be smaller than the OD. Learning more everyday.

RP
07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
on my 4500 lyman i use both type dies and my top punch has to push the boolit into the sizing die not flush to lube if the top punch die is hitting the bottom die it will not let it go far enough to lube. I have a limited amount of punch dies and have to experment with mine and have run across this before

IcerUSA
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Top punch has to be smaller than the sizing die to work properly , with a .358 sizer your top punch OD would be about .354 or a little less to get the boolit deep enough to get the lube in the grooves .

If it has a flat nose on the boolit you could make one easy enough with a drill , peice of round stock , a file , and some sandpaper .

Keith

LarryM
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Montana- and everyone else. I will check both. I did not know the punch should be smaller than the OD. Learning more everyday.

So where at in Okie land are you? if your close I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can see the problem.

OKIE
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I am just from Oklahoma, Sand Springs to be exact. I live in Utah now, wish I still lived int OK.

LarryM
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Gotcha, I live just North of Claremore. But if your still having the problem come deer seasonout there I'll come take a look if you'll put me up for a night or two...:)