PDA

View Full Version : Are there ANY appliance brands that arent junk?

Tackleberry41
04-07-2017, 07:57 AM
The stove went out last night. I know how old it is, bought it when I bought the house. It was a repo, no appliances. So get a new stove, dishwasher and fridge. All new at the time 8 yrs ago. Replaced the fridge last year, on the 3rd dishwasher. And now the stove. Not like I haven't bought different brands hoping for better results. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Was a time when if you bought brand x you knew you were getting a good one. Now you really have no idea who made it, its just a name plate on the front. But an economics lesson for my 9yo. That they make way more money selling you a new appliance every 5 yrs than they do every 20 yrs.

Electric88
04-07-2017, 08:00 AM
I like Amana for washers and dryers, because they are cheaper than other brands and relatively easy to work on.

But in general, I believe all brands of appliances at this point in time will break sooner rather than later. It seems the quality isn't there anymore.

Taylor
04-07-2017, 08:03 AM
No,they don't make'm like they used too.

jmort
04-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Speed Queen washers and dryers
Old style designed to last for a couple few decades

DougGuy
04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
GE sucks. We bought a pricey double oven gas range, the metal shield above the igniter got so hot it liquified and sagged down onto the igniter where it promptly began welding just like you were burning a 6010 rod in there. Took out the $90 igniter and a $200 circuit board, not counting the $99 "diagnostics" charge for coming to tell me that the parts I already know are broken, are what's broken... I politely informed the customer service individual that no I would not be spending $400 on getting this GE range fixed, especially when GE KNEW they had a problem with the design, and that I likely would not be investing any more of my money into any new GE appliances just to "redeem" my $99 diagnostics charge. Which I did not pay. I had the service tech call and I picked his brain for part numbers which I will find on my own.

GhostHawk
04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
When my mom and dad got married they bought new top of the line Whirlpool clothes washer and dryer. 4 kids and 40 years later they still work fine. Few minor fixes, replaced a belt, stuff like that. They still worked when they moved out of the big house. But they looked old so they scrapped them.

I had a chance to see inside a repairman's book once. Planned life of a clothes washer is 8 years. Period. Same for the dryer.

In 20 years we have burned through 2 washers and we are on the third. Dryer still going strong.

Dishwashers and fridges are not much if any better.

Stove we bought Roper, Nat Gas, no electricity to the stove. Old pilot light style.
Stove works when the power is out. And nothing has gone wrong yet in 20 years.

I don't think I could cook on electric. Propane or Nat Gas for me all the way. I like my heat on instantly and when I shut it off I want it OFF.

Kent Fowler
04-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Growing up, my parents had a Bendix Corp. washer and dryer. They got passed around, for years, to various family members after we moved to the new house and Mama wanted a new set of Maytags. Bendix went out of that line of business because they made too good a product.

Tackleberry41
04-07-2017, 09:26 AM
I have tried pretty much every brand swearing I wont buy the one that broke again. Whirlpool was the one fridge, it always made funky noises, I reset it once, unplugging it waiting then plugging it back in. Worked for another year I guess, then just stopped staying cold. So I bought the pretty much cheapest thing at lowes. If its gonna last 5 yrs, why pay more? The oven quit, may be an element. It had gotten hot, but then quit. I had made a pizza, not frozen. Stuck it in the timer went off, the cheese wasnt even begun to melt. So ruined dinner. I can live without the oven for a bit. Its Tappan brand, just see whats cheap at the store.

smokeywolf
04-07-2017, 11:05 AM
As stated above, stay away from GE. Plastic parts have insufficient cross-sectional thickness. Many parts that are subjected to intermittent load break within 3 or 4 years.

Everything is now designed purely for profit, not durability or customer satisfaction. Warranties are often a sham, with many companies never having any intention of honoring them. Keep in mind, if a manufacturer offers a 1 year warranty, that means that the manufacturer believes that the appliance will cease to be reliable and operate as designed at the end of one year.

Not sure who is making and selling the most reliable stove or stove/oven combination. We're using a Maytag electric stove/oven which will soon be replaced with a natural gas unit (not Maytag). The electronics started throwing error codes after about 7 years.

Like jmort says, cry once and go with Speed Queen for clothes washer & dryer.

When I buy appliances I check reviews on Amazon, Sears and one or two other websites. Consumer Reports usually just reviews features, cosmetics and general specs. I've never seen them produce a report on durability, reliability or long term customer support.

Purchasing appliances has become a bit like voting for a politician. There is no good one, you just try and choose the lesser ***.

One other thing I can add. Costco, for no extra money, adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty on major appliances.

popper
04-07-2017, 11:28 AM
My problem is the clothes washers. Samsung ~3yrs old, no spin anymore. They need to hire some decent designers that understand spin. Trying to control centrifugal force with electronics. Silly thing has $200 attitude sensor, instead of a large flywheel to off set the unbalanced load. But then they would need a larger motor.Speed queen lasted longest (commercial type), ~5 yrs. IIRC, Dad got Mom a Maytag after the GE wringer washer was given to Granny. They had a pretty good durable design then, counterbalances for the spin, simple transmission. Dad worked for GE and got a deal on the first fridge model that didn't have the coils on top. It was still working 12 yrs ago when they sold the house but it was not the kitchen fridge after we kids got to H.S., too small.

DerekP Houston
04-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Sigh, we are rolling the dice again as well unfortunately. I've had bad experience with Samsung and LG, so we went with a variety this time. I hate the fact the new "quiet" dishwashers take twice as long and don't clean as good as the older models. I looked at the speed queen washer/dryer's but just couldn't stomach the price for them. We are using decades old kenmore set that are still running fine. Grandfather rebuilt the dryer twice IIRC.

Tackleberry41
04-07-2017, 01:21 PM
I do not buy anything Samsung anymore. Bought a sound bar set up, lasted maybe a year. A DVD player didn't last much longer. My ex was obsessed w Samsung, every appliance in her new house was Samsung. The overly fancy washing machine that she only knew how to use one setting on. I bought the cheapest washer dryer they had, Roper, its been running 8 yrs without a problem. The stove may only need an element, never have been able to get it level where a cake comes out straight.

M-Tecs
04-07-2017, 01:43 PM
https://www.speedqueen.com/

fatelk
04-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Over the years I've learned to be a pretty fair amateur appliance repairman. We have an old mismatched Whirlpool washer and dryer set that we bought used 15 years ago, from a friend who bought them used before that. They look like they're from the '80s. I've done some tinkering on both of them over the years: belt, motor, elements, sensor, and maybe a pump as I recall. All pretty cheap fixes, several used parts from appliance stores. I think I bought a dryer motor used for $20 or so and it worked great. I don't know how many times I've taken the dishwasher apart to either clean cherry pits or Legos out of the impellers, or replace minor parts.

My wife wanted to replace the washer and dryer with a new front-loader a while back. We went down to Lowes and the salesman kind of offended me. He said that with a "huge" family like mine the most I should ever expect from a washer/dryer would be 4-5 years (We have 4 kids, since when is that a huge family?). I ended up telling him we'd stick with our 30 year old set that still works fine. I told my wife we'd get new counter tops this year instead, so that will be my project this summer.

mozeppa
04-07-2017, 01:55 PM
be careful making "huge" families....you'll screw yourself away from the dinner table!

dragon813gt
04-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Brand doesn't matter to me. I can fix them and they all break eventually. What irks me is some of the engineering. As an example I will point out the door seals on LG washers. Parts are cheap enough. But it costs $140 in tools to replace it. Yes, you can do it w/out them. Particularly the outer band. But the inner one is virtually impossible to replace w/out their tool. They could have designed the band differently so it only requires common tools but that would be to much. Since I have to tools I plan on repairing it until I can't anymore.

GL49
04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Whirlpool washer and dryer, still going strong after two sons and 22 years, Whirlpool microwave, cooktop, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher are all 22 years old, the microwave latch got a little funky last year and had to adjust the switch saying the door was closed. I did replace the water pump on the dishwasher about 5 years ago, and my son replaced one igniter on the gas cooktop last year. No complaints from me about whirlpool.

(Ahhh, yes, I did replace the seal around the front loading door on the washer, it seems the seal and football shoulder pads aren't compatible.)

robg
04-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Washing machines are the worst offenders ,then cookers .it seems they are not repairable as its an old model as soon as you run out of warranty !

gwpercle
04-07-2017, 03:26 PM
No ....they are all designed to fail. And the important word here is DESIGNED , they are made to only last so long. My daddy hade a refrigerator bought in the 1950's, it was still running and sold at the estate sale we had after he passed in 2012...it was 52 years old, weighed a ton and still ran ! The fellow who bought it wanted it for his hunting camp.
Gary

Hick
04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
We have all GE-- (Double oven, Induction range, dishwasher, Microwave), and have had all but the microwave since the mid-1990's. BUT-- GE may have changed since then.

jsizemore
04-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Bosch, Jenn-air, Asko, Viking, Sub-zero

Tackleberry41
04-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Not the element, took off the back, it wont broil either, unlikely both elements went out at once. Its the control unit, which is probably not cheap.

DerekP Houston
04-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Bosch, Jenn-air, Asko, Viking, Sub-zero

I looked at getting a Bosch, but the lack of a heated drying option in the dishwasher turned me off.

Outpost75
04-07-2017, 04:32 PM
In our cabin I have a USA made Brown LP gas range from Lehman's. Just two of us and needs are modest so it does the job.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/brown-gas-ranges/ranges

dragon813gt
04-07-2017, 04:40 PM
I looked at getting a Bosch, but the lack of a heated drying option in the dishwasher turned me off.

I don't ever use heated drying. For one it cost money. Second, all you have to do is crack the door after it's done and the dishes will dry all on their own. I hand washed for years and got a dishwasher when I had my first child.

DerekP Houston
04-07-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't ever use heated drying. For one it cost money. Second, all you have to do is crack the door after it's done and the dishes will dry all on their own. I hand washed for years and got a dishwasher when I had my first child.

As the lazy one who doesn't routinely do the dishes, I defer to my better half's opinion. I just use whatever settings she used previously and hit 'start' :D. Next you'll tell me all those buttons and dials on the washing machine actually have a purpose.

:kidding:

bedbugbilly
04-07-2017, 05:29 PM
My wife and I are going through the same thing right now on a washer and dryer. We are moving in to a condo and have to decide on what brand to get. We want a top load washer but we have been warned about the "new" washers without an agitator for a couple of folks who have them in that they have problems with not enough water feeding in to get the clothes wet. We have Sam Sung washer and dryer in AZ and so far (knock on wood) we have had no issues and they are 9 years old. BUT, a friend down the street form us bought a new Sam Sung dryer a year ago and so far has had to have it repaired three times - something about a drive pull bearing gets too hot and burns out.

My folks had a GE refrigerator that was the first model they made when the compressor was moved from the top to the bottom - I guessing made in the 1940s? My grandmother used it and when she died, we moved it to our house and Dad put it in the basement and kept beer, etc. in it. They went to Florida every year and I would unplug it as it wasn't really "energy efficient" and each time I plugged it in, I figured it probably wouldn't work. But, when I sold my folk's house about eight years ago, it was still in their basement - running - and as far as I know, it is still working. They just don't make them like they used to - everything is "cheap" and planned failure - and let's face it, it's their way of selling more and keeping in business. And then when you do have problems, it's a PIA to find someone who can fix them.

Sort of makes you wonder if you shouldn't just buy a washboard and a wash tub! LOL

edler7
04-07-2017, 05:38 PM
I had a Bosch dishwasher I bought at a discount because it was a floor model. Best dishwasher I've ever owned. Wish I had taken it when I sold the house, but it was a good selling point. I have no doubt it's still running like a top.

I'm not saying a word about the ones I have now, because you know what will happen....

jim147
04-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Ok owner of a small heating cooling and appliance company here. I used to manage a large appliance company after I left the machine shop due to injury. So I will just say there is no one brand I would buy all of my appliances from.

The more bells and whistles they put on them the more there is to go wrong. You can't stay away from all the electronis on most things anymore but the less they control the better.

If you want information or part numbers for a unit go to searspartsdirect.com look up by model. Once you find the part go look on amazon. I'm surprised that sometimes they have it cheaper then my wholesale price from the parts distributor.

Takleberry, how are yo with a meter? Sounds like you have a relay out on the eoc but would need to do some checks first. Just send me a message if you want some help with it.

PaulG67
04-07-2017, 05:52 PM
We have a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, been about 8-10 years no problems with either of them and they are so quiet, barely hear them running.

308Jeff
04-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Bosch, and KitchenAid. Have a KitchenAid dishwasher, and it's the best one I've had in 15+ years.

BigMagShooter
04-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Speed Queen washers and dryers
Old style designed to last for a couple few decades

this.

tinsnips
04-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Speed Queen wash machine they make one with out electronics I just bought one works great. Bosch dishwashers and Wolf stoves .

Skunk1
04-07-2017, 07:58 PM
When my mom and dad got married they bought new top of the line Whirlpool clothes washer and dryer. 4 kids and 40 years later they still work fine. Few minor fixes, replaced a belt, stuff like that. They still worked when they moved out of the big house. But they looked old so they scrapped them.

I had a chance to see inside a repairman's book once. Planned life of a clothes washer is 8 years. Period. Same for the dryer.

In 20 years we have burned through 2 washers and we are on the third. Dryer still going strong.

Dishwashers and fridges are not much if any better.

Stove we bought Roper, Nat Gas, no electricity to the stove. Old pilot light style.
Stove works when the power is out. And nothing has gone wrong yet in 20 years.

I don't think I could cook on electric. Propane or Nat Gas for me all the way. I like my heat on instantly and when I shut it off I want it OFF.

Have bought whirlpool pool since we've been on our own. Had pretty good luck. Our old washer an dryer was out of a barn at her aunt and uncles house. Lasted another 10 yrs. dishwasher was 15, and frig just went out last yr 18 yrs. I know they are more complicated but have done me well.

xs11jack
04-07-2017, 08:04 PM
We don't have kids so that may be a factor in the longevity of a lot of our appliances. Kenmore washer lasted 31 years, Kenmore dryer 35 years and still going. Frig, stove. dishwasher 27 years, and the winner is a inline Sunbeam inline toaster at 48 1/2 years and still toasting my morning English muffins and the wife's toast every morning too.
Ole Jack

shooterg
04-07-2017, 09:33 PM
The OLD Kenmore appliances my folks had ran and ran and were still running when we bought the place . Wife wanted something new. Got Maytag washer, lasted 2 years. Their repairman is NOT sleeping at the shop anymore...Got new Kenmore(made by Whirlpool for Sears), replaced element after a year still going. More bells and whistles and touchpad controls, the sooner they're junk. Buy a washer that uses a belt, not a clutch. Buy a dryer you can replace the element on without taking the whole danged thing apart. Stay with simple controls, no touchpads if you can even find something that simple. My dishwashers are still at the end of my arms. Still using a Hotpoint double oven that Mom bought in the 60's , used ! The kind with stovetop burners and a smaller oven where they hang microwaves now. Really handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Stone ugly in it's avocado finish, but since I do most of the cooking, you'll have to pry this stove from my "hot" dead hands !

rond
04-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Roper is the brand I have, was made by Maytag I think, 12 years and still going.

Tackleberry41
04-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I was ASE certified in electrics, and do my own house wiring, built tube amps, so know my way around such things. The relays click, just nothing happens. We had some lighting hit close during the storms other day. it popped a few breakers, took out a brand new LED bulb in a bathroom. So could be that. I can do without the full size oven a bit. I have 2 small toaster ovens and one in my moms camper is 12in. Way better things to spend the cash on right now. Maybe after I get done fighting the ex in court.

GhostHawk
04-08-2017, 09:57 AM
As to the new top load clothes washers.

Our new LG unit has no agitator, and it "weighs" the clothes. Wife complained that it never added enough water. A couple of 2 liter pop bottles capped and tied together at the neck filled the tub to the top. Then she discovered there was a setting for large loads. That's what she is using now.

I will say that the clothes come out dryer. Impessive spin cycle. It also has a glass top which lets you see inside which is nice.

I think there are ways around the newer design but I think you have to be smart enough to figure it out.

Plate plinker
04-08-2017, 10:16 AM
I was ASE certified in electrics, and do my own house wiring, built tube amps, so know my way around such things. The relays click, just nothing happens. We had some lighting hit close during the storms other day. it popped a few breakers, took out a brand new LED bulb in a bathroom. So could be that. I can do without the full size oven a bit. I have 2 small toaster ovens and one in my moms camper is 12in. Way better things to spend the cash on right now. Maybe after I get done fighting the ex in court.

So your old appliance was junk and it is taking you to court to boot. Yipes. what brand was it?

MaryB
04-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Roper is Maytag's budget line, same internals, usually fewer features and fancy cycles/controllers that break

I do not buy anything Samsung anymore. Bought a sound bar set up, lasted maybe a year. A DVD player didn't last much longer. My ex was obsessed w Samsung, every appliance in her new house was Samsung. The overly fancy washing machine that she only knew how to use one setting on. I bought the cheapest washer dryer they had, Roper, its been running 8 yrs without a problem. The stove may only need an element, never have been able to get it level where a cake comes out straight.

MaryB
04-08-2017, 11:24 PM
KISS principle with appliance, keep it simple stupid! Less garbage and useless features the more reliable they are. I have a Kenmore stacked washer and dryer. I bought it in 2004 from a guy who bought it for his mother. 1 month after he bought it she went in the nursing home and it sat for 10 years before I bought it. Thing is still going strong but it has the old mechanical timers and contacts so not much to break!

Geezer in NH
04-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Lightning strike killing stuff is covered by insurance on your house.

Don't blame it on the appliances.

Logger knocked a tree across the lines to my neighbor and it took out the fridge freezer washer machine and dryer that was running as it took out the neutral and shot large voltage past the transformer.

That was on the electric company and the loggers insurance company.

kmrra
04-09-2017, 03:17 PM
it really doesn't make any difference in which brand you do get , there is not but a couple of manufactures that make all the appliances , maybe 3 , they all pretty much come from the same place.

jmort
04-09-2017, 03:38 PM
^^^
Wrong Speed Queen

mold maker
04-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Ins has a deductible that covers the value of a USED appliance. The addition to your premium covers the balance they Pay. Three times lightning or a surge from downed lines have given me grief just under the deductible.
New ins will be involved before the next event. I just got their $910. premium notice. NOT

Boaz
04-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Funny this topic is up . Came home from church and our 5 year old Sears side by side refrigerator had gone out , water all over the floor (freezer thawed out) . Loaded up over a hundred pounds of meat or whatever in trash bags . I ain't happy . It would hum every few min , compressor is shot and not kicking in .

Tackleberry41
04-09-2017, 05:28 PM
It might have been the lightening. Tho the oven came on for a bit. The element was red, it was getting hot. It quit after a few minutes. The timer etc still works, my son had his xbox on, its fine so is the TV, my computer. Being used, and a normal deductible. Im not going to bother calling my insurance company.

Contemplating going with gas. My neighbors stove went out, it was about same age as mine, he went with gas. I didnt know there was a gas line at the street.

GhostHawk
04-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Brother Boaz sorry to hear about your troubles sir. Been through the same myself last year. Power cord got unplugged somehow. 1000$ worth of food in the garbage easy.

MaryB
04-09-2017, 10:23 PM
I use one of these to monitor freezer temps https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-09-Refrigerator-Thermometer/dp/B00EYIEDOI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491790906&sr=8-4&keywords=fridge+thermometer+remote works very well, 1 battery change a year is it. Right now my meat chest freezer is -21, veggie/leftover freezer is at -15. Display sits on my desk where I can see it.

jim147
04-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Funny this topic is up . Came home from church and our 5 year old Sears side by side refrigerator had gone out , water all over the floor (freezer thawed out) . Loaded up over a hundred pounds of meat or whatever in trash bags . I ain't happy . It would hum every few min , compressor is shot and not kicking in .

The start relay on the compressor was a very common problem on those. I always have a couple in my tool bag. Might look up your problem online they are easy to change if that is all it is.

10-x
04-10-2017, 10:00 AM
IMHO,most " big box stores" sell whatever is cheaper to mfg, thus they make $$$. There is a small appliance store in JAX that sells top quality appliances at prices $40-100 $$$ more than big box, remember, you get what you pay for. Owner works the floor and has various appliances with the top or back off and a similar one from the big box stores. No compairson. He also warranties his motors for 10 years! Ask big box store what their motor warranty is.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2017, 05:11 AM
when I'm looking for washers dryers fridge or freezer I usually buy a name brand, but not a high end name and a mid priced model in there lineup. there all throw away anymore. My buddy called last night because his freezer quit working. He said he looked in the local phone book and theres not appliance repair people anymore. At least not within 60 miles and if he called one of them they wanted a 150 bucks just to show up at the door. He asked me if I knew of anyone. I couldn't help him. Its about like finding a tv repair man. They've gone the way of the dinosaur. I told him to pull the back off and look for a reset button and if that didn't fix it hed be better off tossing it and buying a new one for 300 bucks then paying a 150 bucks for a service call and parts on top of that. Add to that the new one probably would use less electricity and pay for itself in a couple years anyway. Add to that too that if he had a part replaced on the old thing whats to say something else isn't about to give up the ghost on it. My guess on it is its like tvs or any other electronics. One of two manufactures make all the circuit boards and big parts and these manufactures buy them and just assemble them and slap there name on it.

6bg6ga
04-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Keep one thing in mind. They are designed to generally make it thru the warranty period and that's about it. There is no "one Brand" that is better than the others. Amana makes a variety of different units under different names and their still the same basic Amana brand. I'm not even going to venture into what the best brand is because there simply arent any.

I will recommend one stay away from the "SEARS" brand. Sears has you by the short hairs when you purchase anything from them that isn't tools. Everything made for Sears is special. Its changed just enough that you have to go to Sears to get their parts. Any other brand you can generally purchase a replacement part pretty quick. Sears appliances generally will mean its a two week wait for parts.

Purchased a small riding mower ( used Craftsman) for the wife to mow the back yard. The simple process of purchasing a belt got very complicated. went to Sears they should have a belt, right? Nope, they don't stock any parts for machines that are 3 years or older per the manager of the store. They can order one. Two-three weeks out. Turns out it takes a Murray belt and well no one stocks them either.

Had the best luck with a Maytag washer and dryer that we bought in 77 and was still running in 99 when we sold the house and left the washer and dryer. Anything made today well just flip a coin brand won't matter much.

CastingFool
04-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Being a handyman of sorts, I don't like to pay someone to fix something I can do myself (not always successful, but more often than not) I have fixed refrigerators, washers, vacuum cleaners, etc. What I do is look up the model number on Searspartsdirect, as someone already mentioned. I find the part number, and the price. then search online for that part number, with a lower price. Seems like a lot of aftermarket companies use the manufacturers p/ns on their replacement parts. By reading the description, you can determine if it's an aftermarket part or oem. Some problems are simply due to poor design or maybe some other component, other than electrical is causing the problem.

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2017, 08:46 AM
MaryB has the right idea - Simple is Better.

There really aren't as many companies that make appliances as it would appear. Many are just rebranded and sold under another name.

I went through a refrigerator, range, dishwasher and water heater within 18 months of buying my current house.I knew the water heater and dishwasher were bad before I closed but the range and refrigerator were surprises. (Yeah !!! I get to spend more money)
I fix all of my own appliances and you have to be able to know when to repair and when to replace.
Warrantees are a WASTE of money. Unless they will come out on Christmas day (when it's bound to break) and fix it for free before noon, I don't care what the warrantee claims.

Been through four washing machines over the last 27 years. Some of those have been used washers and some new. All of them required repair except for the last one that was a lightly used Maytag front loader.

If you're a mechanical type guy, look at how the devices are made. Not from the shinny front consumer side but from the back/interior working side. If you're not a mechanical guy, find the guys that work on them and ask them which ones they would buy.
I think you'll find that they agree with MaryB; Simple = Good.

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
In our cabin I have a USA made Brown LP gas range from Lehman's. Just two of us and needs are modest so it does the job.

There's a LOT to be said for simple and a gas range is about as simple as they get.

dragon813gt
04-11-2017, 09:05 AM
There's a LOT to be said for simple and a gas range is about as simple as they get.

Not anymore. Standing pilots are gone. Range will still work in a power outage. But the stove will not. I looked far and wide for one that had no electronics on it. But they don't exist anymore.

10-x
04-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Guess we are very fortunate, appliance repair business 1/8 mile away, nice guy and reasonable. Easy to repair much on a dryer, some parts on washers. Wife had to have one of those new fangled washers with no agitator, now she dosent like it, to bad, I told her simple is better.
The small appliance store in JAX mentioned in other post has top off 2 washing machines, 1 big box, the other ones he sells, keep in mind they are Same mfg. Bigbox one has rubber bands, yea, holding the 4 corner post together, cheesy motor and pump. His has stamped steel inner top plate screwed to the 4 corner post, heavy duty pump and as mentioned 10 year motor warrantee. IIRC his is $60-$70 more.

Boaz
04-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Had an appliance guy check the frig out ....compressor locked up . I looked at the 'warranty' from Sears . 5 year warranty and its 5 months over , would cost a $700.00-$800.00 to install a new compressor . You could buy a new refrigerator like it for a couple of hundred more than the cost of repair .

Found a clean looking Whirlpool for $250.00 delivered , set up and haul off the junk -KENMORE- , I just went used . I can buy a $250.00 , used and can come ahead even if it lasts no more than 3 years .

Boaz
04-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Lost a LOT of meat put up , half of it smoked/cooked ...ready to go plus a lot of vacuum packing labor . Hacks me off !

Handloader109
04-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Yes, things have Changed. Built new home in 1990, GE appliances. Refrig was still working (top of the line at the time) in 2013 when we sold the home. But the crappy dishwasher was junk, never replaced, but junk, Microwave built in died after about 8-9 years. And range lasted about 15. Recently, Whirlpool is what I've bought. Ok So far

psweigle
04-12-2017, 06:52 PM
They just aren't made to last. It's a shame, but as in most of the industry here, there is no quality control or pride in workmanship.

fecmech
04-12-2017, 08:00 PM
I guess I've been lucky in the appliance dept. We still have the Whirlpool fridge in the basement that we started with in 1969. We bought a new Whirlpool side by side in 1993 when we remodeled the kitchen and it's ok. Our Maytag washer & dryer from 1969 gave out around 2009 and we bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer to replace them. The appliance store owner said not to expect any where near the same service from the new machines . I've had to replace some parts on the washer and an overtemp switch on the dryer but no expensive parts. The nice thing about today is you can find out how to fix just about anything on line with a U Tube video. That sure takes all the guesswork out of where to start when opening up an appliance to get to the parts. It sure helps to have a mechanical and electrical background.

Soundguy
04-12-2017, 08:45 PM
The stove went out last night. I know how old it is, bought it when I bought the house. It was a repo, no appliances. So get a new stove, dishwasher and fridge. All new at the time 8 yrs ago. Replaced the fridge last year, on the 3rd dishwasher. And now the stove. Not like I haven't bought different brands hoping for better results. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Was a time when if you bought brand x you knew you were getting a good one. Now you really have no idea who made it, its just a name plate on the front. But an economics lesson for my 9yo. That they make way more money selling you a new appliance every 5 yrs than they do every 20 yrs.

Some stuff lasts, some dont.

I remember the old HD harvest yellow and avocado appliances. :)

17ys in my current house. Oven/stove works, handle on oven a little worse for wear. Fridge died in 2016, replaced...dishwasher died 2014, replaced. Washer died 2010, replaced, dryer still going.

( ac too, knock on wood! )

smokeywolf
04-13-2017, 02:07 AM
Gotta shop for a new microwave. Panasonic that I bought 20 years ago just gave up the ghost last night.

Sure sorry about your food loss Boaz.

MaryB
04-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Get the fridge/freezer alarm I posted earlier! Saved me a freezer full of beef. Nothing got above 10 degrees because the alarm triggered at 0 and let me know something was wrong. I have 2 freezers and can empty the freezer I use as a fridge(Outboard temp controller, high efficiency for solar) in a pinch and use it as a freezer. Fridge stuff can get crammed in the beer fridge if needed!

Lost a LOT of meat put up , half of it smoked/cooked ...ready to go plus a lot of vacuum packing labor . Hacks me off !

Boaz
04-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Mary since you mentioned the alarm I have thought about it . Probably lost about $400.00 worth of stuff . LOL , had bout 20 pounds of buckboard bacon and a heck of a lot of homemade sausage ...going to miss that . Going to look on ebay to check out the alarm . Thanks for the suggestion !

10-x
04-14-2017, 09:02 PM
3 years ago we had a kitchen fire, redid kitchen. Bought all appliances at lowes, every one of the 3 broke/ failed in 6 months!!!! Junk is junk. All major brands.[smilie=b::-x

Boaz
04-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Bought a temp gage/alarm on EBAY , bout $12.00 dollars ...free shipping .

MaryB
04-15-2017, 12:02 AM
I am monitoring 4 fridge/freezers so needed the one capable of multi stations. I may add a temp sensor for the garage so I know if it goes below freezing in winter. I an have up to 8 sensors!

crabo
04-15-2017, 12:45 AM
I bought a Maytag washer and dryer for $300 used when I bought my fist house in 1979. Still using them. I did one repair to one of them about 14 years ago. Still working just fine. I know my sister bought one of the agitator less models and she says it does wash as good as one with an agitator.

jonp
04-15-2017, 01:19 PM

I ran across that sight several years ago and could never remember the name so never could find it again. Thanks for the link. My wife needs some canning lids for this summer.

jonp
04-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Not anymore. Standing pilots are gone. Range will still work in a power outage. But the stove will not. I looked far and wide for one that had no electronics on it. But they don't exist anymore.

I've got an old HotPoint Gas stove with the pilots at my hunting camp. I'm not sure it will ever wear out. You can turn on the gas to the oven and light it without a pilot light if it goes out.

lightman
04-16-2017, 09:51 AM
It looks like I'm going to be shopping for a cook top next week. Any recommendations? It will be electric. The Sears severed us well for 24 years of heavy use but its going out.

DougGuy
04-29-2017, 01:19 AM
Well, our new-ish GE gas dbl oven burned up the bottom oven igniter. After speaking with the tech, it appears it is a design flaw that GE knows about but will not address. The metal shield above the gas burner gets red hot over the igniter glow bar to the point it melts and drips down on the igniter which begins welding like you are burning a 6010 welding rod on about 100 amps. Not kidding, smoke, sparks, loud humming, then POP! Everything quits.

Call to the tech to come visit and diagnose is $99 which GE will let you take $99 off another new GE appliance YA RIGHT!! I replaced the glow bar myself, $32 from ebay, GE wanted $89 for it. Replaced the big printed circuit oven control board $120 from ebay GE wanted $221 for it. All the controls light up and the digital part works, but the lower oven will not light. something else besides the visibly burned up parts. This could be a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. Had the tech come out, it would have been a $700 repair. And how long until something else quit on it?

I am going to ask the sellers if they will accept a return of the two parts I bought and put the money towards a new range. I an NOT buying anything that has a digital board in it again, I am not buying anything that has the same round 2 piece Asian produced burners since all our pans cook with a cold spot in the middle, you go to fry eggs, the edges get overdone and the middle is runny. Better with cast iron but still..

Started looking around at burner configurations. Big name high end home units, called "pro style" want to look the part, but most of them have the crappy burners too. Even the Viking has the round burners with the big cold spot in the middle. $4k ~ $6k gets you some really nice home units with truly pro burners but who has that kind of money to put into a range?

Stumbled onto American Range, had never looked at them before, watched a youtube vid of the factory, folks, THIS is what the Donald dreams of when he wants to bring back manufacturing to America again. I am going to start looking for an American Range. Check this out:

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=dLBtqypxliA

Edit: Found an American Range model ARROB-430 that passed the PLUNK test, and I plunked down some money for it! Stoked!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/American%20Range%20ARROB-430-1-640_zpszoygkbaq.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/American%20Range%20ARROB-430-1-640_zpszoygkbaq.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/American%20Range%20ARROB-430-2-640_zpszrhupdl1.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/American%20Range%20ARROB-430-2-640_zpszrhupdl1.jpg.html)

AMERICAN MADE in California, there is no microprocessor to take a dump, it has really good burners that heat evenly and from the center, and the oven is a really well engineered convection oven that works the fan and airflow in reverse. This is almost old skool engineering, and rumor has it these are built as good as their commercial restaurant units, they are just insulated a lot better so they can achieve zero clearances on the sides and back for residential installations.

Nose Dive
04-29-2017, 03:07 AM
Agree with all above...KISS... if you want to turn on the oven in Indiana from Timbucktwo... (Ok,,OK,,,spelling)...you can now do just that...with a high dollar oven, an APP, a cell phone and a home computer. I don't do that anymore. (Ok...OK...blowing smoke)

But...have had luck with Bosch, and KitchenAid. Have a KitchenAid dishwasher and runs like a charm. Last one was a 1981 model. No issues with it...but could not take it with me when I moved. Now...if your moving....get a GE...install it...it will work for a few years...then move.

If in Indiana, Illinois ...need a reputable appliance dealer...[sales, service, parts]... I use...http://www.maruszczak.com/

They can have appliances delivered all over USA... NOT TO YOUR HOUSE....but to servicing dealers or 'drop points' and YOU GOTTA GO GET IT.

I moved to 'country'... No 'appliance dealers in 50 miles'...Bought a KIT home, no windows, doors and no appliances. Called Maruszczak and they shipped the washer, dryer, oven, stove top, microwave, water softener to drop point in TEXAS for CHEAP. I took PU truck and trailer and fellas loaded up all on my truck/trailer. Hauled all up to my "PLACE" and installed all myself...they are in Indiana....i bought KitchenAid DW. GE Icebox, GE Gas Stove Top, MW, Dryer/washer...1-219-865-0555 ...ask for Pam.... This is not a sales promo... just my success....they may say 'no dice'... They are not an internet sales outfit...but...can get 'things to you' if you pay. Good luck.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Elkins45
04-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Our house is 20 years old. The water heater went (tank ruptured) two years ago and the refrigerator a couple of months later. The refrigerator problem was a defrost thermostat, so a $40 part fixed that problem...but then the compressor went out in February. I knew it wasn't cost effective to fix that so I went shopping with only two parameters in mind (1) highest capacity that will fit the space and (2) fewest fancy features. I ended up spending around $800 for the new one because I added an ice maker. I did notice the new one was considerably lighter than the one I hauled off. We shall see if this one lasts 20 years.

Our GE top load washer was bought in 95 and I replaced the transmission in 2008--found one NIB on eBay for $49--and it still works. We also bought a front loader at the same time so now we have two working washers. I think I need to hook up a second dryer to the welder outlet in the garage. Can't remember how old the dryer is, but it's at least 12.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things I have had better luck than some of you.

My dad bought a Sears Coldspot freezer sometime around when I was born in the early 60's. For the first 10 years or so it was in an unheated outbuilding. It moved into our basement when moved in 1977. Sometime in the mid-80's the thermostat failed so he wired around it so the compressor ran constantly. I don't know how cold it was in that unit, but I remember you had to let ice cream set on the counter for a while or it would bend your spoon!

I unplugged and emptied it when he went into assisted living in 2008. It was still running like a champ. I would love to plug it back in and see if it would start back up.

Echo
04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
My GE SpaceSaver Microwave went out - circuit board. I had replaced the board on my previous SpaceSaver, so called the local GE folks, and they said it would be a $200 service fee to check out the MW, but they didn't have any boards - they weren't made anymore. I went to the AFEX, bought a Whirlpool, and had a friend install it (totally different installation).
But before that, my GE oven went out. Being single, and not cooking AT ALL, of little import - except the alarm beeped. And beeped. No matter what I did, 24/7 beep. Got a service man out, he checked it, and found they didn't make THAT circuit board any more. Bought a new (memory fails as to make) oven...

Sur-shot
05-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I have started using Craig's List as a reference. Look for used appliances like you might want and see how many say "needs repair." Interesting how many top money units are for sale broken.
Ed