PDA

View Full Version : New guy saying hello!

Duce
07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
As the headline reads this is my first posting. I am just now for a old man getting into casting my own bullets, I figured I would hang around here and read and find out what I am getting into first. ( also need to buy all the stuff I will need). I am the father of 2 sons serving in Afghanistan as we speak. One is a sniper ( Gary)with the 101ST. Airborne that is doing force protection for MY youngest sons(Matt`s) National Guard unit in Orgun-E Afghanistan, so I am glad they get to see each other and spend time together while there. I am a Tool and Die Maker by trade and have many years of experience in the art of machine tool running of lathes mills ect. So hello to each and everyone here and I hope to be a good contributer to the forum.

Lou

twotrees
07-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Tell your boys Thanks from all of us here.

Read some of the Stickies and check out the posts, a wealth of Knowledge and BS available here.

Pull up a stump and join the campfire.

:drinks:

Alchemist
07-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Welcome Duce!

You certainly came to right place to get lots of cast boolit know-how. I'm learning & re-learning nearly every day. Your T&D making experience will be most welcome too, I'm sure. There's tons of good info here. I would caution you on one thing....don't go to "Group Buys" or "Swappin & selling" unless you have either A) Strong willpower or B) Plenty of spare change, cause you'll find lots of stuff you just know you can't get along without. [smilie=1:

Best wishes for your sons' safe return...my son did two tours in Iraq, so I know some of your concerns.

Come check out the chat room some evening. Lots of good guys, info, humor etc.

Cheers :drinks:
Alchemist

WildmanJack
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Welcome aboard Duce!!!!:-D

dromia
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Duce. :drinks:

I look forward to reading more of your posts. :-D

44man
07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome and be PROUD of your boys. They are REAL americans!

DLCTEX
07-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Duce: welcome and my thanks to your sons for their service. My nephew is in afganistan with the US Navy. DALE

Echo
07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome and thank you for raising boys that are doing the right thing - and thank them for their service.

I, too, am an OLD newbie, and am continuously learning on this site. I think you might find yourself addicted to it - I know I am, visiting 2 or 3 times daily.

runfiverun
07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
jump in.. give advice and ask questions.
and don't believe alchemist about the chat room.... nothing but B.S. and fun in there.
swapping ,trading. pictures of guns, and getting to know a bunch of casters/shooters.
going on there.

AZ-Stew
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Duce,

Welcome aboard! First, thank your sons for picking up the slack we O.F. veterans left after leaving the service. It's appreciated.

Second, please purchase a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (suggested source: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000159837249 ) and give it a good read. It will give you the info you need to get started, basic tools and techniques, etc.

You'll find this forum a FINE place to discuss details once you get the basics out of the way. I've been at the business of casting boolits (mostly to save money on handgun shooting) for at least 35 years and I still have much to learn. Here's the place to get your Graduate degree and to get you over the hard spots while you're learning.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here. We're all willing to help the newcomers. The Lyman book, however, will definately get you pointed in the right direction to start.

Regards,

Stew

Duce
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM
AZ-Stew thanks for the information and I will order the books, I have some practice with a fellow who showed me as a kid how to cast but its been years and I know that plenty of rust has settled in. And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome for me and my 2 sons. There fine young men and I hold my chest proudly out when there present. I have some casting stuff already, It pays to be a collector of junk for all these years. I probable have some molds that are no longer made around somewhere? I just am more lost when all the mold number casting than anything right now. I hate looking stuff up but looks like I better get use to it. When I was a kid I could just ask for a mold to cast for 30 caliber rifle and I would be handed a mold. Not now its by the numbers. I collect military surplus rifles in series so you know where and how my casting will go. I am more looking for molds and casting for the 7.62x25 Tok. right now I find it a joy to shoot and find stuff to shoot out the barrel is getting hard since I live in the country.

9.3X62AL
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Duce--

Welcome aboard, and MANY THANKS to your sons for their service to our country.

I'm a 7.62 x 25 reloader, with a Type 54 ChiCom Tokarev and CZ-52 so chambered. There's also a C-96 in 30 Mauser in the gun safe. I've loaded for these since 1989, so lemme know how I can help.

dragonrider
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Duce, glad you found us.

Duce
07-12-2008, 09:05 PM
9.3x62AL, lets see I have over 500 empty once fired cases in 7.62x25 that are talking to me every night in my dreams to get them fixed up! everything is ready for the bullets and when I find them on the internet, my butt puckers at the cost to purchase and ship.................

TCLouis
07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
service to our country.

Second a a big welcome. I think there are a lot of folks here who can and will assist you to be a great cast boolit shooter.

Some of your toll & die knowledge may well come in handy also.

There are many good sources of cast boolit information right here on these pages and among those here on line, but a web search for "Glen Fryxell" and "Paco Kelly"will take you to sites with many article written by them on cast boolits.
If you follow them and some more information in Cast Pics here, then you will shorten your learning curve.

Duce
07-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks RCLouis I have already found there web sites thanks to you and going to start my research.

Wicky
07-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Welcome Duce, crack a tinny and enjoy the wisdom imparted from these posts.

copdills
07-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Duce , we have talked before on ammo brass trader glad your here , I am new to casting also and you can learn a lot here

copdills:)

bullshot
07-13-2008, 07:39 AM
A very big thanks to your sons for their service. Welcome --sit back and enjoy the board.

Duce
07-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey copdills glad to see ya! at least now I am not alone? hahahaha

Bret4207
07-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the asylum Duce. Your sons will be in my thoughts and prayers along with all our other servicemen.

TCLouis
07-13-2008, 08:47 AM
information found here on this site, there are seveal good articles in all on the list here:

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/index.html

cbrick
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Welcome Duce, Two sons in harms way . . . I can't even imagine the stress that must cause. Tell them to not listen to the mainstream media, real Americans that know the meaning of being American are intensely proud of them. My prayers they both return home safely.

Here is the largest collection of Glen Fryxell articles in one place on the web. The Articles of Glen E. Fryxell (http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm)

Rick

RP
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Welcome aboard make sure you check out the chat room get answers to ? fast their some of those guys really know their stuff unlike myself all topics covered and if you think its a dumb ? it dont matter the dumb part is not asking.