PDA

View Full Version : Going to Grand Isle = visit Hornady plant. How is it?

10 ga
04-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Nephew wedding in June in North Platte. Be there for a 14 day visit with his family etc... Thinking of going to Grand Isle to view the Hornady plant. Anybody been there? What like? Do they have a "bargain basement" with imperfects and such or even any "factory" retail sale? Thanks, 10

XDROB
04-06-2017, 07:01 PM
That sounds like a great time. Might want to skip the wedding,😂😂😅😘

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

flyer1
04-06-2017, 07:32 PM
They have a bargain area around to the left of the main door as you come in. They give tours if you get there before 1530. Ask to see the underground shooting range. Asked to see the .224 55gr sorting area. And the smelting area A lot more manual work than I thought.

Mike

runfiverun
04-06-2017, 08:06 PM
they do sell seconds.
I have a pretty good representation of blems on the shelf.
they are about 2/3rd the price of normal but you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell the good from the blems.
you just have to watch the little sticker on the side of the box and don't take the ones that say 'don't group well' on them.

Plate plinker
04-06-2017, 08:28 PM
This is much like bragging you know.

Moleman-
04-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Convince them to sell 223 basic brass. It already exists at one point on their 223 line.

crowbuster
04-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Been there a couple times. Met some great folks. They make you feel right at home and love to talk shop with us guys in the field. And they do listen.

35remington
04-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Presses look like big engine crankshafts. Once running they spit bullets out fast, with the forming dies zinging away like rows of sewing machine needles. The swaging die for pistol bullets eats a long coil of lead wire to make bullets and if lucky you may see the arbor press extrude the wire. Presses get calibers switched for long runs as no press is dedicated to a single bullet.

The underground range has a return to battery rail gun mounted and they have drawers and racks of barrels and piezo transducer. Last trip I recall many were Obermayer. If you want an interesting discussion ask them about barrel accuracy life as they would know more about the topic than nearly any single individual.

The smelting area is a large diameter lead pot that for obvious reasons is near the loading bay/dock.

Availability of blems is hit and miss. Sometimes you see what you want but sometimes not.

Given where I live I have been there more than a few times. Jason Hornady led us on a tour one time so the family is not above helping out the general public.

Bodean98
04-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Just west of North Platte is the small town of Paxton. There used to be a place there called Ole's Big Game Bar. Pretty neat to see and they had pretty good eats too. It's been years since I have been to that part of Nebraska and I don't know for sure if it's still there. The locals should know.