PDA

View Full Version : There is no such thing as a free gun!

buckwheatpaul
04-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Several years ago there was a Tractor Supply commercial stating that there is no such thing as a free dog....free dog = shots; collar; pen; bed; food; on and on forever!

Well I believe there is no such thing as a free gun!

I base this on the following:

Friend gives you a free gun.

Free gun = need for bullet mold (s), sizing dies, reloading dies, "j" bullets, primers, powder, possibly new iron sight or scope, on and on until you realize you have spent a whole lot of money on an item that was given to you.....

Feel free to chime in on this one and lets have FUN with it!:lovebooli

375supermag
04-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Hi...
I have to agree...
So.e years ago I won a new Savage 7mm rifle in a raffle.
After shelling out about $500 for a set of mounts and a new Leupold 3x9 variable scope, my wife told me we couldn't afford for me to win any more free guns.

I haven't won one since...Bought a few dozen, but haven't won any. Not quite sure that was what she had in mind, but they are here and paid for.

MUSTANG
04-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Perhaps you err; and there is no such thing as an UNWANTED GUN.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Free horses are the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcwit
04-06-2017, 04:19 PM
I've got guns that just went into the pile and never been taken out.

bedbugbilly
04-06-2017, 06:42 PM
LOL I agree with you!

Your post reminded me of my "free gun". I belong to the Shrine and our Temple holds a "Sportsman's Raffle" every year. One year, I happened to have one of my tickets drawn on a Wetherby rifle. All I had to do was "pick it up" at the Gander mountain that the Shrine purchased the firearms through. So, at the time, gas was at the highest it ever was. The Gander Mountain was a 2 1/2 hour drive one way. The "value" of the firearm was over inflated which meant that the 6% sales tax was and "add on" expense for the winner. Then, of course the rifle came with no sights so required a scope and rings . . . . I think by now you are getting the idea of just how "free" it was! LOL That was the last time I purchased tickets as it was cheaper just to write a donation check to the Crippled Children's Hospital each year.

Kraschenbirn
04-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Yup!! BIL gave me a USPS-marked 4th Model S&W .38 Double-Action that had belonged to one of his uncles who had been Postmaster of a small town in Wisconsin. Some holster wear but, internally, didn't look like it had been shot much. Came with half a box of verdigris-coated, green-box Remington ammo; BIL said he'd had it since the early 70s and never tried to fire it. Brass, reloading dies (used, off a gunshow table), and a used Lee RN mold (another gunshow find) beagled to drop .360...all just to see how it shot.

Bill

btw...accuracy is nothin' to write home about but, in a pinch, I'd take it over a compact .380 any day.

Menner
04-06-2017, 07:04 PM
LOL I can tell you what a free Gun has cost me
A friend of mine who is a caster gave me a stevens 200 in 7-08. Up to this point the only rifles I had were 22's a 17 HMR and a 204 Ruger Delaware is a shotgun deer hunting state so only varmints are hunted with rifles
Well that Tupperware stocked rifle cost me a set of dies and a bullet mold, Brass, primers and powder and a new hobby "Cast Bullet Shooting"
I soon found out that the 7-08 is quite finicky so now that stevens 200 now wears a SS Criterion 308 Win Barrel, Eabco Thumbhole Varmint Stock, Rifles Basics SAV2 Trigger and Sightron 36X Glass and I have started shooting CBA matches
Since Then I bought a Marlin 336in 35 Rem another Savage 110 270 for the action which is now a 358 Win Equipped much the same Plus all of the casting equipment and molds for said rifles and just today bought another 110 that sold cheap just to have the action for the next project

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION
My buddy Frank just chuckles whenever I bring this up Personally I think he just wanted somebody to shoot with, he was lonely
LOL
Tony

runfiverun
04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
bad enough when free guns cost money.
it's even worse when you buy one and only get to shoot it once, then it's commandeered right after you get it set up and shooting.
so you buy another one and just put everything on it to match the first and it gets commandeered too.
you finally get to keep the third one, then just give up and buy another rifle in the caliber you bought the first one to convert to initially.
which only costs another rifle in that caliber too just so you can hang on to the first one.

the above is known as the 'AR Fiasco' by the disgruntled check book operator. [me]

Thumbcocker
04-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Great Uncle Allen always said that if you really hated someone and wanted to get even with them give them an old car.

GhostHawk
04-06-2017, 09:27 PM
I guess I differ. Free gun = choice. Hang it on the wall? There it sits, costs you nothing.

But to shoot it? That will cost all the above. But is that not why we do all this?
To make our cast creations go zinging down the barrel to hit something on the far end.
For the smiles when it does it right.

Priceless IMO. Its just money.

But stacking several up in a cloverleaf? Indescribable. And the knowledge that you have one more ready at need, with ammo, molds, sizers and all ready to go to work. To me that equals sleeping sound at night.

YMMV.

OptimusPanda
04-06-2017, 11:15 PM
It would only be free if it were a conversation piece. Maybe it isn't a tool for punching holes anymore, but hopefully you can teach mechanics or history with it. Who am I kidding, I'd still collect the doodads to shoot it lots anyway.

Bzcraig
04-06-2017, 11:41 PM
A free gun in a caliber I already load for will only cost me time!

Remiel
04-07-2017, 02:45 AM
bad enough when free guns cost money.
it's even worse when you buy one and only get to shoot it once, then it's commandeered right after you get it set up and shooting.
so you buy another one and just put everything on it to match the first and it gets commandeered too.
you finally get to keep the third one, then just give up and buy another rifle in the caliber you bought the first one to convert to initially.
which only costs another rifle in that caliber too just so you can hang on to the first one.

the above is known as the 'AR Fiasco' by the disgruntled check book operator. [me]
I know the feeling, I just lost my High Standard Executive 1911a1 to the wife this past weekend, took her to shoot it and my FNS9 because of a double break in on our street, and she commandeered the .45 and left me with the 9mm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

54bore
04-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Free horses are the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, This made me laugh! I know a few guys with horses that only use them once a year for a pack in hunt, if you were to sit down and figure out how much that 1 trip a year ACTUALLY costed it would be staggering!

Tackleberry41
04-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Its the accessories that get you. We all know if you walk into a gun shop and see a $500 gun, its not really $500, but $800. A semi auto your buying mags, then a few upgrade parts, a holster, some dies....

FISH4BUGS
04-07-2017, 08:12 AM
FREE gun? I wish. Mine go the other way. I bought a 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs #503 44 mould. I thought it would be nice to maybe shoot 44 special in my S&W 5 screw pre 29. Then I needed 44 special brass so I traded a bunch of cast bullets for a bunch of 44 special brass. I changed my mind about the shooting the pre 29 and 44 special. Now I need a REAL 44 special to shoot it in. So I went out and bought a Ruger GP100 in 44 special, a 5 shot snubbie on steroids.
FREE? I wish.

10-x
04-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Free boat is hands down the worst. Boat= hole in the water you throw $$$$$$$ in. Happiest days of boat owner is the day bought and day sold. Have only owned a canoe but all friends here have , had boats. Wailing, nashing of teeth and many unpostable words!:D:p

Handloader109
04-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Hey, just send me any free guns you want to get rid off!

They just have to be chambered in 9mm, 22lr,243, or 300aac. I can't afford any other calibers..

GhostHawk
04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
All donations gratefully accepted. No stipulations or conditions.

bob208
04-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I've got guns that just went into the pile and never been taken out.

I resemble this remark. after all if you have 20 mausers and you shoot one have you shot them all in spirt?

greenwart
04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Even giving a gun away cost me. Gave my daughter a 357 combat masterpiece. Had to get her a holster and load up a few hundred self defense rounds, plus the practice rounds. Not only the money but the time invested. I still love her.

44man
04-07-2017, 10:19 AM
There is only one thing free, it is information between us.

popper
04-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Then there are the 'free' ones offered (lottery?) by the gun industry.

TheDoctor
04-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Set them up on a blind date with your ex!
Great Uncle Allen always said that if you really hated someone and wanted to get even with them give them an old car.

GhostHawk
04-07-2017, 09:57 PM
44man nailed it.

Not only free, but priceless!

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2017, 11:48 AM
A friend of mine, YES I do still have a friend, gave me a gun for free once to try to repay me for all the gunsmithing/reloading I had done for him.. It turned out to be a 99 Savage take down model in .300 Sav. caliber that was the Michigan deer rifle for the original radio Lone Ranger Brace Breemer! I cleaned it up test fired it several times then cleaned it again and into the safe it went. This same friend once attended a wild game dinner. He won a Hornady `Lock & Load` press outfit with 2 sets of carbide pistol dies, did I mention that he doesn`t know how to reload? He sold me the whole outfit for $100.Robert

Rufus Krile
04-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Friend gave me a 1957 Remington 40X... CMP bbld action. After cutting and crowning, adding a speed lock (PTG striker), carbon fiber stock, Weaver T24 with mounts and rings, and a Jewell trigger I had a $1200 free 22lr. But it's REALLY nice.

Fishslayer
04-08-2017, 02:45 PM
When I bought my first handgun the shop owner told me "Buying the gun is the cheap part."

He wasn't liein'... ;)

mold maker
04-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Buying that first one was the start that ruined me. 60 some years later I can't stop.

Menner
04-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Free boat is hands down the worst. Boat= hole in the water you throw $$$$$$$ in. Happiest days of boat owner is the day bought and day sold. Have only owned a canoe but all friends here have , had boats. Wailing, nashing of teeth and many unpostable words!:D:p

I beg to differ I have owned boats as soon as could buy the first one will never be without at least one, most days I would rather be on the water than on land.
I may be the exception to the rule but I love my boats and Fishing as much as I love guns and shooting.
Tony

rintinglen
04-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Somewhat Off topic but my Uncle was a Newscaster in 1959 at WXYZ and I got to meet "The Lone Ranger." I was very disappointed when a tall, some what, rumpled fellow in a dark shirt and a "Mr. Rogers" sweater was introduced to me as the voice of the Lone Ranger. I expected powder blue western attire, a mask and a pair of six guns. But I was impressed when he said, "hello, young fellow." THAT was more like it. My Uncle introduced him to my father, who I think was more impressed than I was.
Mr. Beemer lived up in Oakland county until his death in the mid 60's. Hardcast, I envy you your bit of memorobilia