PDA

View Full Version : Model 1896/11 conversion update

Herb in Pa
11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I finally glassbedded the action and mounted a weaver sidemount with an ancient Bushnell Scopechief 1.5 x 4.5 with the command post gizmo. This is a conversion utilizing a 2 groove 03 barrel rechambered to .308 Win.

I loaded up a few 165 RCBS sil's and headed to the range. Best load was 21 grains of 2400 for a group slightly under .750" at 50 yards.

I've got some serious parallex issues with this scope, so it will need a replacement. I've got a Burris 3 x 9 compact that might fit the bill.

More testing to follow @ 100.

Buckshot
11-10-2005, 02:24 AM
..........Hey Herb, is that rifle safe with factory 308? I'd think the K31's would be. Pretty good work though, that shooting you've done so far.

.......Buckshot

Herb in Pa
11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Buckshot..........supposedly it is, but I only intend to run cast boolits through it. Another forum member gave me some background info on these conversions. He recalled them being offered in Outdoor Life magazine in the 50's.

Scope choice is definitely a issue with the mount being positioned behind the loading port. I'm going to try a 3x9 Burris compact for my next attempt at 100 yards.

I'm heading for the loading room after this post.....weather report calls for 64 degrees and sunny on Saturday (a bonus day in Pennsylvania) so I'll get back with a report after that.

waksupi
11-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Herb, I own one of those, also. Mine is a real shooter. For a sight on mine, I removed the rear sight elevator, and used a clamp on base, and a pistol scope. The clamp on was a bit loose, so I Agragel'd the bases in place, and can remove it if I want in the future. After looking over the bolt system in these, I would have no problems with shooting full .308 loads. I have had my best accuracy at around 2450 fps, and no problems were apparent.

Junior1942
11-10-2005, 12:04 PM
so I Agragel'd the bases in place, and can remove it if I want in the future.
Huh? Epoxy? How do you remove it?

StarMetal
11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Junior

One way would be to remove the scope and rings, freeze the whole assembly, then rap the base real sharp and quick with a plastic hammer. Also there are chemicals that will clean up epoxy. Example is acetone softens Red Loctite so does alittle heat.

Joe

waksupi
11-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Junior, it doesn't take all that much heat to break down the epoxies, either. Introduce heat, and a brass scraper, and you can remove it from metal pretty easy.

Urny
11-12-2005, 12:47 PM
My dad bought one of these in the early '60's, I think, from an ad in OL that claimed it to be "the standard NATO carbine". Truth in advertising. I remember it as the most accurate sporter conversion of a military rifle the family ever owned. Put a lot of hot 130 grain hollowpoint reloads through it over many years, and thousands of surplus FMJ's before it left the fold. In good shape they are stout.

Sasha11
02-01-2007, 08:38 PM
If Herb in PA. or anyone else has a Bushnell Scopechief Command -Post 1.5x4.5 to sell, I would like to purchase one. Contact me on this site as I check it often. Thanks , Sasha11

Four Fingers of Death
02-02-2007, 02:23 AM
I once knew a Brit who had worked i Switzerland and had picked up a Ex mil swidd rifle. They wern't allowed to own military calibres and he had the chamber cleaned up to 300Win Mag. IO never saw it, but the guys at the gunshop (where he worked) went shooting with him and he used factory ammo out of the shop. He had promised to bring it in to show me, but he was such a smartmouth, knowall PITA, the owner sacked him. I've never crossed paths with hiim again. His skeleton is probably laying in a paddock somewhere with a swiss rifle bolt shaped hole in the forehead. :-)

gregg
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
..........Hey Herb, is that rifle safe with factory 308? I'd think the K31's would be. Pretty good work though, that shooting you've done so far.

.......Buckshot

I saw one of those sell 6 mo ago. Thought the same thing.
Guess I was wrong it will hold up. WOW. Like you thought
a K31 would work but who would guess . :-)
Thats what makes it all so fun, learn somthing or 3 or4
new things a day.

TDB9901
02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
One of my local Pawn -Gun dealers has a k-31 action rebarelled with a springfield 4 groove in .308 that I have wanted to bring home, but I had already ordered the "Real" k-31. and didn't have the scratch for both at this time.

If it stays around a while longer, Maybe I can bring it home and give a report on it.

Tom

KCSO
02-02-2007, 03:18 PM
I had my reservations about shooting 308 in a 1911 conversion and when I sold my last one I expressed my opinion to the buyer. He proceeded to shoot 500 rounds of L1A1 surplus ammo through the gun and about as many hot handloads with NO problems, no change of headspace, nothing. I wouldn't personally reccommend the conversion, but they will stand the gaff and will sure shoot all the 308 cast a man could ever laod and shoot. I wish now I had kept that faulty??? gun.

Ricochet
02-02-2007, 08:32 PM
One thing to consider is that, though the working pressure of the .308 is higher than the 7.5 Swiss, its case head area is smaller. Force = pressure x area.