PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube Bullets and Luber/Sizer...

greyswindir
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Fellas,

Anyone here tried casting some Lee tumble lube bullets then running them through a luber/sizer (Lyman 4500) instead of tumble lubing them with Alox?

Does it work?

Some of the Lee TL bullets are very, very accurate. I just don't like the mess involved with tumble lubing them. After the Alox dries it is still a bit tacky and it gunks up my press dies. I've tried various techniques but feel it is a waste of time. I'd rather just run some through my 4500 and be done with it.

Thanks.

dragonrider
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes it is doable, I've done it, you will have to get the adjustment just right to get lube in all the grooves and there won't be much and it seems to take longer to squeeze into those tiny grooves. Works best if your die is the same size as the as cast boolit so you don't reduce the groove size.

Boerrancher
07-12-2008, 11:07 AM
A few years back I used to run TL boolits through a Lyman lube/sizer, because I was too smart to understand how tumble lubing worked. I can say these few things.

1. It was a PITA to get adjusted to where I was filling the grooves.

2. It took longer to fill the groves than on a regular boolit.

3. It was messy.

For these very reasons I quit shooting TL boolits for years. I refused to change with the times , and accept new ways of doing things. After my friend passed away while I was over seas, I lost access to his lube/sizer I had been using. I couldn't afford one so I thought I would try the tumble lubing procedure. I didn't like the mess of LLA, then I found this site and discovered JPW. JPW leaves a hard shell like coating on the boolit that does not get sticky or tacky when it is dried. The really nice thing about tumble lubing is that for rifle loads, lube them first with LLA and run them through the Lee sizer, then for the second coat lube them with JPW. Once the JPW hardens, no more sticky, tacky boolits. I have been doing it this way for about a year now and have only had great results.

Best wishes from the Boer ranch,

Joe.

P.S. ["In the beginning ....The patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, The timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain. ] Ain't that the truth.

schreibwy
07-12-2008, 02:52 PM
What is JPW and where can I get it?

NSP64
07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax- walmart,ace, true value.:drinks:

Larry Gibson
07-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I do it with several pistol/revolver bullets all the time. Best to use a sizer that is "as cast" diameter or .001" smaller. Otherwise the small lube grooves get swaged and there's not much room for lube. I use Javelina and it fills the grooves easily. I also tumble lube but use the 450 sizer when I don't want the lube exposed outside the case to pick up dirt and gunk.

Larry Gibson

copdills
07-12-2008, 03:35 PM
good information going to have to try Johnson's paste wax

medicstimpy
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I wish I had as good luck as the others have had with JPW. Oh, well...

On the TL bullets... Yes, some of them are great designs. I bought most of my calibers in those when I started out. Still love the bullets but had no luck with LLA.

So, I run them through my Luber/Sizer and they work great. Messy as all H**L, a real PIA to do and more time consuming but I get the best of both worlds now... a nice design TL bullet with the advantages of Lars' Carnuba Red lube. :)

azrednek
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I dust my tumble lubed boolits with motor mica and it removes the the stickiness and helps keep seating dies clean. How do you coat the tumbled lubed boolits with paste wax??

Boerrancher
07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I dust my tumble lubed boolits with motor mica and it removes the the stickiness and helps keep seating dies clean. How do you coat the tumbled lubed boolits with paste wax??

I just stick them in a clean empty plastic peanut butter jar, put a dollop of paste wax on top and set them in the sun for a few min. When the boolits get hot the wax starts to melt and then I just turn and shake the container until all of them are coated good. I then stand them up on a piece of wax paper to dry. I don't let them get too hot. I want the wax to still be tacky and not runny. If it runs off the boolit you haven't accomplished much.

With an LLA coated boolit, when the LLA becomes real tacky, like they are ready to load, I toss them in that same plastic peanut butter jar and do the same thing. If you go to the Classic Stickies, you will find a long thread on JPW. There are as many ways to coat your boolits with it as there are those of us who use it. Go to the JPW thread and read up. You may find a way you like better to apply JPW to your boolits

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

azrednek
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
THX!! Boerrancher I'll give it a try.

REDTAIL
09-23-2008, 04:21 AM
question where do you guys buy your motor mica from ?

cabezaverde
09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Midway carries it.