PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

Denver
04-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Went in yesterday for cataract removal and lens replacement for my right eye. Went today for post op evaluation and Doc says everything looks good and the lens is exactly where it's supposed to be. Vision check says I have 20/25 in that eye. Have to go back for 2nd post op check on the 11th and if all is good I'll get the left eye done on the 17th. I'm having the single vision lenses put in and will probably need readers for close up. The other option that allows near and far sight correction is $2800 per eye with no guarantee of success. Hopefully I'll get back to where I can see the sights on my handguns again. Wish me luck,

D

Yodogsandman
04-05-2017, 05:54 PM
G' luck!

Der Gebirgsjager
04-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Had both eyes done 3 years ago. You'll be glad you did. It puts you right back in the shooting game. No glasses (except for safety!) needed for rifle shooting, and for me none are needed for pistol either. In fact, although the weakest off the shelf drug store reading glasses help for reading, I can get by without them for things like restaurant menus and magazines, and need them only for such small print as the ingredients on food labels, etc., where the print is smaller than normal. Best wishes on your outcome.

parson48
04-05-2017, 06:25 PM
I'll be 69 come June, and had both eyes done about 8 months ago. Made a tremendous difference. I'm able to see the sights on my handguns for the first time in quite a few years.

I chose the same option as you. I use readers but not nearly as strong as before the surgery.

One word of advice; be sure to use the drops according to Drs directions.

Shawlerbrook
04-05-2017, 06:29 PM
My dad had them a few years ago. His Dr. recommended the single vision lens stating that the other are compromises at both ends. Far distance lens and reading glasses sound like the way to go.

buckwheatpaul
04-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Denver, had mine taken off 5 years ago....I now wear bifocals again but it is the best thing I ever did...my correction is soooo low that I dont need my glasses when I get to use my binoculars.....good luck brother....Paul

gray wolf
04-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Prayers said for you, speedy recovery and back in the game for you.

Head up--gun up--stay in the fight.

woodbutcher
04-05-2017, 11:12 PM
:D Wishing you the best.Have one on my left eye.Drs are being very careful to watch it closely.Will have to be real careful when doing the removal.Am blind in right eye.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Echo
04-06-2017, 03:25 AM
Had left done 2 years ago, and rt done nearly a year ago. No drama - still wear glasses (have for over 70 years!). Not quite as good in the left as in the rt, but OK, and no complaints.

jbutts6785
04-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Had the single vision lenses put in a few years ago and am glad that I did. I need readers for some things, otherwise I don't wear glasses at all. I do a lot of shooting with iron sights, and it really helped.

10-x
04-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Denver, wishing you the best, had right eye done late last year, left done early this year. Stigmatism correcting lens in right eye( dominate eye for shooting) was $1500.00, well worth it as my vision is the same as when I was 30!!!!, 66 now. Had zero problems. All the Doctors are women at this faclity, nice looking too, makes everything better to look at when one wakes up.:D

blackthorn
04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
We wish you the best of luck going forward. We just got back from town a few minutes ago where Gail had the cataract in her right eye fixed up. She will likely get the left one done in mid July. I have them in both eyes (for a long time now) but mine grow very slowly (so far) and only the right eye gives me any problem. I got a corrective lens and we will see what develops later.

Denver
04-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes. The thing that brought this on was when I went to renew my drivers license, I was unable to read the eye chart except for the largest letters. I knew my eyes were getting bad, but didn't realize just how bad they were. Kinda like hearing loss, it sneaks up on you. Anyway, as of now I'm able to see the sights on my pistol clearly without glasses. Same for my rifles. Hopefully the results will be as good for the left eye. I know I won't be quite as apprehensive next time.

D

David2011
04-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Wow, 20/25 that soon is fantastic. SWMBO had both eyes done recently with great success but it was over a week before her vision got really sharp for each eye. Praying for excellent results for you.

David

Hick
04-07-2017, 04:13 PM
I did single vision in both eyes and really like it. I have a little trouble with the front sight post looking blurry, so I installed peep sights on all my Irons-- smaller peeps make the front sight sharper without detracting from the clarity of the target. Good Luck

ktw
04-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I need to get it done. I haven't done much shooting over the last year because of it. I only recently discovered what the problem, and solution, was. Left eye isn't bad but have lots of starring in the right (shooting) eye. I would like to get it cleared up this spring in order to participate in some high-power matches again. 54 years old, should have enough time left to make it worth while. ;-)

-ktw

GaryN
04-08-2017, 03:21 AM
I had both eyes done two years ago with the single vision lens for distance in both. I was legally blind in my left eye and 20/250 in the right. I knew I had to do something when I went to shoot and there were two targets. I only set one out there. The last checkup I went to I read the bottom line of the eye chart and asked if that was the best they could do. I ended up with 20/10 in both eyes. I use low power readers for the computer and the lowest power I can find for pistol shooting. I have really been enjoying mine. Nothing is as good as my original eyes when I was about 20 but these are close.

Moleman-
04-08-2017, 04:15 AM
My mom had both of hers done last year. Wishes she wouldn't of waited so long to do it. For the first time since she got her drivers license in the mid 50's she no longer needs glasses to drive. They used Abbott Labs lenses of some sort that gave her close and distant vision so she doesn't need readers now either. She hadn't driven at night for quite a few years, and now isn't in quite a rush to go straight home before dark if she comes over for dinner. Abbott just recently sold their lense division to Johnson and Johnson.

10-x
04-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Forgot to mention, get a good pair of sunglasses.

Denver
04-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Forgot to mention, get a good pair of sunglasses.

You're so right. Went out yesterday into the bright sunlight. Wow! was almost as bad as looking at an arc welder.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2017, 01:31 PM
When you get cataract surgery they give you a good set of sun glasses. I had both eyes done in August of 2015 and I wear mine everyday when outside.

10-x
04-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Yea, the ones they gave me looked like " Atom Ant" glasses. Now, who remembers " Atom Ant"????????

Ken in Iowa
04-10-2017, 06:40 PM
I had the right eye done in January, I stayed with the standard lens.

wore sunglasses religiously until lately. All is well but I need to go shooting soon