PDA

View Full Version : Can I use lee 45acp powder through die on 45 colt?

jonappleseed
04-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,
I've been a long time lurker on this site. This place has more info than a college education, and I really appreciate what everyone has to offer.
I'm wondering if I can use my lee 45 acp powder through die on cast boolits for a new to me 45 colt blackhawk?
I got a great deal on fleabay on a lee 6 cavity 255 rnfp mold that I'm looking forward to trying out soon.
Not sure if anyone else has tried it or not?
jon

runfiverun
04-04-2017, 10:17 PM
I have no idea about the lee stuff but if I had one I'd sure give it a try, I know they swap around on the Dillon's.

anyway.
welcome aboard.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Yes.

OK, the website said my message was too short. Really? What happened to clarity with brevity?

flyingmonkey35
04-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Yes you can. However i would not recommend in a fully progressive. As only the top of your cas is supported

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Yes you can. However i would not recommend in a fully progressive. As only the top of your cas is supported

I'm confused by this statement. Maybe we're thinking different things. In the case mouth expander and powder drop position, there is no support of the case at all. It just sits in the shell plate. It always comes out of this process/position with the case mouth belled.

jonappleseed
04-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Yeah. That's why I thought that these 2 dies must be pretty much Identical. Unless someone thinks otherwise. Lee does show them as different.

bedbugbilly
04-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Probably goes without saying, but just remember the 45 ACP casing is shorter than the 45 Colt - so you'll have to set the 45 ACP powder thru/expander die up higher in your press. You don't say and probably you haven't got the mold yet to know if you will shoot them "as dropped' or size them to .452. My Uberti Cattleman will shoot anywhere from .452 to .454 very well. If you're boolit is a little fatter, you may need to bell the casing a little more but if I remember correctly, the powder thru die can be set to put a bell on the casing.?

Everybody does it different - the only 45 Colt I have at the present is my Uberti and it has very generous chambers - not familiar with the BH as far as how chambers run, etc. I started out with Starline brass and also have picked up some range brass. I full length size the casing the first time and after that, I set my FL sizing die up in the press and just size the mouth of the casing to the depth of the boolit seating (i.e. neck size). So far, I haven't noticed any more case wear that way than if I FL sized them.

Good luck with your new mold and enjoy!

Echo
04-06-2017, 03:56 PM
And, RC, you Kept It Pithy!

jonappleseed
04-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I've only shot factory federal through the BH. Haven't slugged it for cast yet. It also came with a 45acp cylinder that I don't know if I'll use in the immediate future. I guess I should check the cylinder throats too hugh?
Anyhow, I'll have to let you know how they drop out of the new mold.
jon

flyingmonkey35
04-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Probably goes without saying, but just remember the 45 ACP casing is shorter than the 45 Colt - so you'll have to set the 45 ACP powder thru/expander die up higher in your press. You don't say and probably you haven't got the mold yet to know if you will shoot them "as dropped' or size them to .452. My Uberti Cattleman will shoot anywhere from .452 to .454 very well. If you're boolit is a little fatter, you may need to bell the casing a little more but if I remember correctly, the powder thru die can be set to put a bell on the casing.?

Everybody does it different - the only 45 Colt I have at the present is my Uberti and it has very generous chambers - not familiar with the BH as far as how chambers run, etc. I started out with Starline brass and also have picked up some range brass. I full length size the casing the first time and after that, I set my FL sizing die up in the press and just size the mouth of the casing to the depth of the boolit seating (i.e. neck size). So far, I haven't noticed any more case wear that way than if I FL sized them.

Good luck with your new mold and enjoy!
Exactly. The die is shorter so you will have to seat it high i. The press.

This means the case will have to travel longer distance in the ram before going into the die. Some press's this is where wiggle comes into play and it can not align very well. Progressive s are like this.

jonappleseed
04-06-2017, 09:05 PM
I'll probably be wanting to set up a turret in my pro 1000. I've got an older square deal b set up for 45acp, but the dies and everything get to be expensive. So lee stuff fits the bill for the working stiff.

jonappleseed
04-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Okay. So same issue. I'm wondering if I can use a 32 s&w long powder through die on 32 h&r and 327 federal mag cartridges? This is pretty much the same issue. So I'm not trying to beat a dead horse too badly. But, I would like to set up a turret on my pro 1000 for 327 federal mag. The lcr is one of my favorite carry pieces.
jon

rintinglen
04-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Okay. So same issue. I'm wondering if I can use a 32 s&w long powder through die on 32 h&r and 327 federal mag cartridges? This is pretty much the same issue. So I'm not trying to beat a dead horse too badly. But, I would like to set up a turret on my pro 1000 for 327 federal mag. The lcr is one of my favorite carry pieces.
jon

Just to save you the effort of asking for several calibers--Yes. If the longer case is the same interior dimensions, you simply raise the position of the die body to adjust the height of the expander to reflect the increase in length of the longer case over the parent case. Thus, a 38 Special set up works for .357's, a 44 Special works for a 44 mag, a 45 Colt for 454 Casull etc.